Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

desertfox07
Embryo

Introduction

Post by desertfox07 »

Hello,

My name is Paul and I'm originally from Cleveland, OH but I'm currently in Miami Beach, FL as part of an AmeriCorps program. I'm 23 years old and I graduated college in May of 2006. As my term comes to an end I've begun thinking about what's next.

While I am applying for jobs, part of me yearns for a challenge sitting behind a desk can't provide. Eventually, this desire led me to the recruiters office. I scored a 93 on the ASVAB and after beating information out of those guys I found myself wanting to know more about the Rangers. If I join the army, I want to go balls out the entire time.

I have to be honest, this whole process has had a snowball effect on me. Everyday I have become more and more excited at the thought of serving with the Rangers. If I join the army, I want to be above and beyond a regular soldier and that's why I have been looking at becoming a Ranger.

However, this is a decision that will require more work than just signing a contract. To be a Ranger, that means I have to start working for it yesterday. This is a concern my recruiters didn't really share as they just wanted me to sign and leave immediately. They weren't interested in helping me prepare so I'm going to find a recruiter who will.

I haven't been in running shape since my sophomore year of college when I played football last. I can tell you right now, I would fail in sit-ups and the 5-mile run. I've been lifting so push-ups and pulls-ups aren't a problem for me. I've been running the past week and I'm struggling hardcore, so I need time to get in shape before I leave for basic.

If anyone has a workout plan I could follow I would greatly appreciate it. If not, I'll just keep doing PU, SU, pull ups and run everyday.

To me, it's really important to get in shape before basic training because I plan on putting in extra time to get ready for RIP. From what I've read on these boards and elsewhere, it seems RIP is more about determination and will than anything else. I know I have the guts to endure basic and RIP, but I want the preparation that will allow me to excel during this period. A lot of you say first impressions are everything, well in my mind basic and RIP will be the Army's first impression of me and I don't want it to be playing "catch-up."

I apologize for the long post.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

desertfox07

Post by Steadfast »

If you are bad in su's & the run you've come to the right site for help.

Welcome, I'm sure a Ranger or two will be along to give you guidence.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Rico
Ranger

Post by Rico »

Let's start with this:

Self-administer an APFT and post your scores, no matter how bad you think you'll do.

I'd like to see somthing by 2000 Sunday, if this is an issue please let me know. If you have any questions, PM me.

In order to give you a fair assessment, we need to first see where you're at currently, then we'll know which way to go.
WEBCO 2/75 1997 - 1998
HHC 2/75 Mortars 1998 - 2005
Ranger Class 7-99

Mentor to alex03209

I have brought you to the ring, dance if you can...

-William Wallace
fatart
Ranger

AMERICORPS...

Post by fatart »

AMERICOPS...first off, are you sure you can pass the piss test? Last time I was around those assclowns I got a contact high so bad I had the munchies for a week! But, all jackassery aside I see that maybe you've seen the light and really want to become a Ranger so get off your as and do PT...funny how all of these old, fat guys are giving you advise on how to get in shape, but back in the day "I could run like the wind blows", anyway follow j.rico's sound advice and get on the stick, Hero, oh, and by the way.....even if you are a white guy the dreads are gonna have to go!
2/75th '91-'99
RS 5-93

"Cookie...?"
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome and thank you for your interest in Army Rangers.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
desertfox07
Embryo

Post by desertfox07 »

j.rico wrote:Let's start with this:

Self-administer an APFT and post your scores, no matter how bad you think you'll do.

I'd like to see somthing by 2000 Sunday, if this is an issue please let me know. If you have any questions, PM me.

In order to give you a fair assessment, we need to first see where you're at currently, then we'll know which way to go.
Ranger J.Rico,

Thank you for the response. I caught your message this morning and self-administered an APFT. Here are the results:

PU: 52 (the first 45 were consecutive)
SU: 40 (the first 36 were consecutive)
2 mile: 19:23

As you can see, I have a long way to go and this is why I'm not ready for basic or RIP. I'm ready to put the work in though.

Thanks again,

PG
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

desertfox07 wrote:PU: 52 (the first 45 were consecutive)
:shock: Holy mother of God!!!

What is your height/weight?

If you work hard, you can cut that 2 mile time down about 5-6 minutes within 6-8 weeks - no problem. Where you'll struggle a bit is building both speed for 2 miles, and stamina for 5 miles and up. That will take longer.

PT programs are easily designed for one in your position. Good luck.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
desertfox07
Embryo

Post by desertfox07 »

42L5V wrote:
:shock: Holy mother of God!!!

What is your height/weight?
Ranger 42L5V,

Thanks for your response. I am 5'7 and 161 lbs. As you can see, this is why I am in no hurry to leave for basic. I have to build my endurance back up.

I've already made a lot of progress this past week and a half and I figured some guidance might do me better for the future.

Thanks again,

PG
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

You are not Irwin Rommel and you should not have the screen name Desertfox so you can piss right off.
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Paul,
A man has only one opportunity to create a favorable initial impression. Yours has some class. If you truly want to serve in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. you have stumbled upon a fine collection of BTDT you will find. Ranger j.rico and others are superb trainers. You can get the help you need. But recognize that you are a guest here. Don't abuse the hospitality. Now, I have a task for you, please tell me about working for AmeriCorps in Miami. Please complete the task NLT midnight tomorrow, Monday, 3 March 2007.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
desertfox07
Embryo

Post by desertfox07 »

Jim wrote:Paul,
A man has only one opportunity to create a favorable initial impression. Yours has some class. If you truly want to serve in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. you have stumbled upon a fine collection of BTDT you will find. Ranger j.rico and others are superb trainers. You can get the help you need. But recognize that you are a guest here. Don't abuse the hospitality. Now, I have a task for you, please tell me about working for AmeriCorps in Miami. Please complete the task NLT midnight tomorrow, Monday, 3 March 2007.
Ranger Jim,

Thanks for the response. I have been a part of this specific AmeriCorps program since October 1st, 2006. It's a service-oriented program that places a volunteer with a local community development corporation to help in whatever capacity needed.

I was placed with Miami Beach Community Development Corporation. Our primary focus is purchasing and rehabilitating multi-unit housing structures to use as affordable housing opportunities for the elderly, work force and others of low-income. As with all over-crowded cities, gentrification becomes a serious issue as cost of living/property sky rockets; Miami Beach is no exception and the working class has suffered the most because of it.

We also provide a range of other services to the community which includes community/commercial organizing, first-time home-buyer counseling, single-unit rehabilitation and so on...

My responsibilities varied greatly throughout the year and I didn't have a specific role. I assisted every department or any staff member when called upon. My work varied from program marketing, grant writing, program development, project management, working with board members, establishing a commercial association to administrative duties. I would say I have spent the bulk of my time working with local businesses trying to establish an organized commercial association that deals with quality of business issues.

AmeriCorps volunteers are given a monthly stipend to cover the cost of living and are required to work 1,700 hours throughout the year. Also, this is my second stint with AmeriCorps since I graduated college.

Right after graduation (May 2006), I spent three months in Biloxi, MS, with the Gulf Coast Recovery Team helping gut homes, clean up, remove mold and other activities aimed at rebuilding the Gulf Coast.

If you have any other questions I will not hesitate to answer.

Thanks,

PG
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

OK, good response. It sounds like a good job for an individual who is hard-charging and self-starting. However, you need to redirect that zeal toward your physical fitness. When you hit basic training you will find yourself surrounded by a large number of men who are part of the x-box generation. Not particularly fit. Following OSUT, you will find the herd has been culled as you enter airborne school. At the end of three weeks, when you begin RIP, the herd will have gotten much leaner and meaner. You will need to, likewise, be leaner and meaner. Don't kid yourself, you will be amazed at how many of your peers in the 75th Ranger Regiment have earned their degrees. Welcome th the big leagues. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Rico
Ranger

Post by Rico »

Where are you at as far as the recruiter goes?

The reason I ask is once you have secured your opt 40 contract, you might be able to get a Ranger Mentor, but not before.

Now, as to your PT scores:
This is actually something we could work with fairly easily if you have the right work ethic. When I entered OSUT in 97, believe it or not, my run time was worse than your's. However, it wasn't long before I was quite a bit faster, and maxing my PT test. I'm certain we could help you, but your first priority is to decide what it is you want and then go after it. If you want an opt 40 contract, go get one. After that we'll talk.
WEBCO 2/75 1997 - 1998
HHC 2/75 Mortars 1998 - 2005
Ranger Class 7-99

Mentor to alex03209

I have brought you to the ring, dance if you can...

-William Wallace

Return to “Introduction Archive”