Don't graduate RIP, and you will regret it

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
hakushin
Tadpole

Don't graduate RIP, and you will regret it

Post by hakushin »

RANGERS, Veterans, and (especially) DEPS. Here's my 2 cents.
I've never spoken on this subject before. I am still in the military. I love the United States. I love the U.S Army, and above all, I love and am willing to die to protect the freedoms secured by the constitution of our great nation. I have served honorably, both overseas, and in Garrison. In Peacetime, and in War. I'm willing to bet that anyone on this board, regardless of RANGER qualification or not, would shake my hand when I offered it. And you know what? I would do the same. And I'm sure DEPS, that they would tell me the same thing they would tell you - " Thank you for your service". Because, bottom line, at least you had the balls to sign the contract.
It feels good.
But you know what?? There has always been one part of my military service that I regret, and If you're willing to listen, Im willing to tell.

First off, I come from a family with a proud military traditon. Be it Paratroopers or Frogmen in WWII, tank commanders in Korea, or a MACV/SOG Commando in Vietnam, the men in my family have always fought for what they belive in. And then it was my turn. I didn't join for the college money, I joined to serve, and to make my father (See above) proud. OSUT - "Too easy drill Sergeant"
Airborne " All the way, Sergeant Airborne!"
Then, there was RIP. All Of my buddies (Who I considered in better shape than myself), eventually fell by the wayside. PT Test. Technically, I missed the situps by 2 reps. Fuck! (Mind you, back then I was doing 90 PU, 96 SU, and running a low 13. If you think you're doing enough PT guys, you need to do more, because it is a RANGER STANDARD PT test.)Better get ready to sit on the bleachers! But I remember, knowing I failed the situps, and still giving all I had on the pull-ups. "up, down, up, down". 23 pullups done, the whole time, screaming " I WANT TO BE AN AIRBORNE RANGER!". My name never got called. Lets do the CWST.After nearly drowning, and countless dunkaroos later (Couldn't spout off my roster number and "weak swimmer" in time..)it was back outside, to see the world in a whole new "chlorine glow". 5 mile run...Shit..Better pace with someone... 38 breathless minutes later, I was still there?? WoW! (just) 17 years old, 5'6", and all of 120 lbs. O'dark thirty - Obstacle course. Guess who fell off the top of the weaver?? But, guess who got back up, afterwards ( I'm assuming I blacked out) and got right back on the weaver??, Sickcall, Fuck that - fractured rear posterior...Im still good to go. Just had to dispose of the x-rays. But wait?? Wheres all my buddies? I think our class started with 86. We went to COLE RANGE with 12 or 13??. And fuck, guys. Watch the history channels "BUD/S Class 232" all you want. It aint got nothin on the Pit of Woe. If you've never to that point in your life seen a grown man cry, you will. Flutter kicks, gorilla drills, rucksack lunges "HIT THE WOODLINE!!". Thats day One. Day two - Land Nav/Patrol base classes - "Candidates, before you do the sexy shit, like shootin people in the face, you gotta learn how to set up a simple cigar shaped perimeter" 10 million Side straddle hops, in cadence with a manimal of a cadre doing them WITH us! Can't feel my legs anymore, but Simple enough. Now we were down to 7 or eight. All night, " c'mon man, lets quit, we don't need this". or, "C'mon, They're giving out steaks by the fire". Fuck that! Day three - More land Nav. Guess who got lost, and had to be picked up at endex by the Cadre?? " Well Candidates, we were gonna let you eat a full meal and get a good nights rest, but Pvt. Hakushin fucked that up! Hit the woodline!" 2 more left that night. The only sanctuary I got at COLE RANGE was when we did nightime landnav, and I fell ass first into a pile of particulary nasty cactus. I remember laying there, staring at the moon, and actually feeling relieved! For once I was off my aching feet. Yep. I got lost again. 33% Security on PB that night. Cadre breached the perimeter. Spotlights, out of nowhere. Side straddle hops, flutter kicks, Hit the woodline!. I puked too many times to count. It must've been morning, because the dew on the grass froze my nuts to my leg. 5 left now. DEPS, heres where the advice comes in. Yeah, big fucking deal, I made it through another night. The thought of quitting never crossed my mind. But that morning, when I watched all of my buddies get smoked for my land Nav failures, I decided that it wasn't there punishment to take. I hit the woodline, came back, and walked straight into the shed. DOR. Fuck guys. Don't EVER quit! Don't EVER EVER EVER QUIT! I will never make excuses for what happened to me there. Yeah, I was young, but I wish i had just knew the ramifications of what I had done. I'll say it again. DOR.I went to the 101st. I tried out for LRSD, and thank GRITS, when I got accepted(a year and a half of try-outs and maxed PT Tests and sucking it up in the 502nd), I still got a chance to wake up every morning and say (and live) the RANGER CREED. The moral is, it doesn't matter how far you are from the finish, or how close you get. Just make sure you cross the finish line. Like me, You'll likely regret it everyday if you don't. 3 people graduated that class. A cook, a PAC clerk, and a Chemical guy. But you know what?? They deserved it.

"RIP won't make you a man......It won't have to"

Good luck, and never ever quit. You'll regret it forever if you do
11B1P
3/502 2000-2002
LRSD 311th MI 101st ABN 2002-2004
Team 1-2
S/O - RTO
Kosovo 2001
Iraq 2003 - 2004
91W Aug 06
68W Jan 07

"No weapon forged against us shall prosper!"
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

I have never heard of only 3 people graduating RIP.

I'm glad I 'll never have to look back and say "what if" about my time in Regiment. Thanks for reminding me how good it feels to not be a quitter :twisted:
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Re: Don't graduate RIP, and you will regret it

Post by Kilted Heathen »

hakushin wrote:RANGERS, Veterans, and (especially) DEPS. Here's my 2 cents.
I've never spoken on this subject before. I am still in the military. I love the United States. I love the U.S Army, and above all, I love and am willing to die to protect the freedoms secured by the constitution of our great nation. I have served honorably, both overseas, and in Garrison. In Peacetime, and in War. I'm willing to bet that anyone on this board, regardless of RANGER qualification or not, would shake my hand when I offered it. And you know what? I would do the same. And I'm sure DEPS, that they would tell me the same thing they would tell you - " Thank you for your service". Because, bottom line, at least you had the balls to sign the contract.
It feels good.
But you know what?? There has always been one part of my military service that I regret, and If you're willing to listen, Im willing to tell.

First off, I come from a family with a proud military traditon. Be it Paratroopers or Frogmen in WWII, tank commanders in Korea, or a MACV/SOG Commando in Vietnam, the men in my family have always fought for what they belive in. And then it was my turn. I didn't join for the college money, I joined to serve, and to make my father (See above) proud. OSUT - "Too easy drill Sergeant"
Airborne " All the way, Sergeant Airborne!"
Then, there was RIP. All Of my buddies (Who I considered in better shape than myself), eventually fell by the wayside. PT Test. Technically, I missed the situps by 2 reps. Fuck! (Mind you, back then I was doing 90 PU, 96 SU, and running a low 13. If you think you're doing enough PT guys, you need to do more, because it is a RANGER STANDARD PT test.)Better get ready to sit on the bleachers! But I remember, knowing I failed the situps, and still giving all I had on the pull-ups. "up, down, up, down". 23 pullups done, the whole time, screaming " I WANT TO BE AN AIRBORNE RANGER!". My name never got called. Lets do the CWST.After nearly drowning, and countless dunkaroos later (Couldn't spout off my roster number and "weak swimmer" in time..)it was back outside, to see the world in a whole new "chlorine glow". 5 mile run...Shit..Better pace with someone... 38 breathless minutes later, I was still there?? WoW! (just) 17 years old, 5'6", and all of 120 lbs. O'dark thirty - Obstacle course. Guess who fell off the top of the weaver?? But, guess who got back up, afterwards ( I'm assuming I blacked out) and got right back on the weaver??, Sickcall, Fuck that - fractured rear posterior...Im still good to go. Just had to dispose of the x-rays. But wait?? Wheres all my buddies? I think our class started with 86. We went to COLE RANGE with 12 or 13??. And fuck, guys. Watch the history channels "BUD/S Class 232" all you want. It aint got nothin on the Pit of Woe. If you've never to that point in your life seen a grown man cry, you will. Flutter kicks, gorilla drills, rucksack lunges "HIT THE WOODLINE!!". Thats day One. Day two - Land Nav/Patrol base classes - "Candidates, before you do the sexy shit, like shootin people in the face, you gotta learn how to set up a simple cigar shaped perimeter" 10 million Side straddle hops, in cadence with a manimal of a cadre doing them WITH us! Can't feel my legs anymore, but Simple enough. Now we were down to 7 or eight. All night, " c'mon man, lets quit, we don't need this". or, "C'mon, They're giving out steaks by the fire". Fuck that! Day three - More land Nav. Guess who got lost, and had to be picked up at endex by the Cadre?? " Well Candidates, we were gonna let you eat a full meal and get a good nights rest, but Pvt. Hakushin fucked that up! Hit the woodline!" 2 more left that night. The only sanctuary I got at COLE RANGE was when we did nightime landnav, and I fell ass first into a pile of particulary nasty cactus. I remember laying there, staring at the moon, and actually feeling relieved! For once I was off my aching feet. Yep. I got lost again. 33% Security on PB that night. Cadre breached the perimeter. Spotlights, out of nowhere. Side straddle hops, flutter kicks, Hit the woodline!. I puked too many times to count. It must've been morning, because the dew on the grass froze my nuts to my leg. 5 left now. DEPS, heres where the advice comes in. Yeah, big fucking deal, I made it through another night. The thought of quitting never crossed my mind. But that morning, when I watched all of my buddies get smoked for my land Nav failures, I decided that it wasn't there punishment to take. I hit the woodline, came back, and walked straight into the shed. DOR. Fuck guys. Don't EVER quit! Don't EVER EVER EVER QUIT! I will never make excuses for what happened to me there. Yeah, I was young, but I wish i had just knew the ramifications of what I had done. I'll say it again. DOR.I went to the 101st. I tried out for LRSD, and thank GRITS, when I got accepted(a year and a half of try-outs and maxed PT Tests and sucking it up in the 502nd), I still got a chance to wake up every morning and say (and live) the RANGER CREED. The moral is, it doesn't matter how far you are from the finish, or how close you get. Just make sure you cross the finish line. Like me, You'll likely regret it everyday if you don't. 3 people graduated that class. A cook, a PAC clerk, and a Chemical guy. But you know what?? They deserved it.

"RIP won't make you a man......It won't have to"

Good luck, and never ever quit. You'll regret it forever if you do
Shut the fuck up.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
RangerJurena
Ranger/Moderator

Post by RangerJurena »

I'm not sure where to begin. I personally, think everyone has a job to do in the Army, and I don't hold one position higher in regard than any other, but let me get this straight.

You had 86 muldoons in your class and the only ones to graduate were a chemical guy, a PAC clerk and a fucking Spoon? Not one 11 series graduated?

I call bullshit on this entire story. Heathen told you to shut the fuck up, which is the same thing a RIP instructor would have done if you were yelling anything while doing these alleged 23 chin ups.

I could go on and on and on..If your really serving as you say you are, be proud of that service. Don't come here and try and embellish your career by telling a story of failure.

Here's a rarity for me ,your so full of shit and stories like this are detremental to our mentoring program, I'm going to see what I can do to get you banned.

No need to quit here, we are gonna throw you out.
C.Co 1/75 '87-'93
6-89
http://www.75thrra.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - are you a member?

Post by Invictus »

Wow. You pissed off Ranger Jurena, not an easy task.

Have to say I completely agree with him. Noone here will deny RIP is a smoker, but this sounds like a fabrication to make yourself look hard just for making it to Cole Range. Do you really expect anyone to come out and say "Good job for trying bud, you did your best".

There are too many good men who actually bust their ass, try and drive on past significant injuries, and they don't make it. If anyone has my empathy, it's them.

According to you, a paper pusher and a spoon had more in their nut sack than you do.
I, for one, am thankful you quit. And you should be too. If you thought a few weeks of RIP was hard, you were in for a RUDE awakening.
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
Tupac

Post by Tupac »

Funny, my LRSD buddy here was in 101 LRSD as a tabbed E-6 at the exact time you claim to have been there, did the kosovo deployment and Iraq. I'll have to ask him about you.

As for your RIP story, it is reeking of bullshit. I sounds like you peiced together parts of other peoples RIP experiences and filled in the blanks. I'll tell you what, I went to RIP in may of 2000, and I remember it not sucking so bad, because I wanted to be a Ranger more than anything, and that made it easy. SO....tell the sob stories if you want, but what you never found out is how bad it got my first 6 months in battalion. That trial by fire made RIP look like fucking BCT or some shit. Pre-GWOT battalion was no fucking joke. You had to earn the right to be there EVERY DAY. On a 5 mile run, a jump and hump 25K movement at JRTC, on the flat range and etc. That is where the real weeding out begins.
Tupac

Post by Tupac »

Hey dude, Lucas, your old team leader knows who the fuck you are dude. Quit being a weirdo and posting shit like this, it's too small of a community to be bullshitting us. He'll be calling you too talk shit in a minute.
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

This dude is full of shit, we all know it. :evil:

I second the recommendation to BAN!

I also question whether or not this slug is even Airborne qualified or ever served in the Military since I would think that anybody who has served as long as he supposedly has would not use a "1" identifier in his MOS assuming that for the length of time he served he should at least achieved the rank of an E-5.
Last edited by Bugsy on August 30th, 2007, 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Bottom line....you didn't have what it takes. Thanks for stopping by.

RLTW
EP

BANNED!
Last edited by Earthpig on August 30th, 2007, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

WOW ....... :shock:
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
RangerLee
Ranger

Post by RangerLee »

Timmy wrote:Pre-GWOT battalion was no fucking joke. You had to earn the right to be there EVERY DAY. On a 5 mile run, a jump and hump 25K movement at JRTC, on the flat range and etc. That is where the real weeding out begins.
LOL Timmy, Back when it was hard?
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.
-Mahatma Gandhi

A. Co Fist "Rat Bastards" 2/75 - Oct 2002 - Jan 2005
2nd Platoon "BlackSheep" FO Type 1 each.
OIF 2003
OEF 2003, 2004
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Hmmmmmmmmmmm let's see

Countless dunkaroos, this ain't the land down under. Roster # in RIP ?

5 mile release run in RIP?

Candidates?

Why would a PT failure still gone to Cole Range?

DOR, you learn that from an Officer and a Gentleman?

My RIP class started around 70 and graduated 10
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Timmy wrote:Pre-GWOT battalion was no fucking joke. You had to earn the right to be there EVERY DAY. On a 5 mile run, a jump and hump 25K movement at JRTC, on the flat range and etc. That is where the real weeding out begins.
Everyday bro, everyday!
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
RangerLee
Ranger

Post by RangerLee »

RRDTm3 wrote:Hmmmmmmmmmmm let's see
Why would a PT failure still gone to Cole Range?
The only way i could seriously see this happening is if he was non 11b and batt was hurting for his MOS. Example, my RIP class had like 20 medics in it. The PT standard for non 11b were lower. They were trying to push the medics through.

2 situps, maybe, but unlikely if he was non 11b and still failed the situps.

Either way... Fucking Quitter....
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.
-Mahatma Gandhi

A. Co Fist "Rat Bastards" 2/75 - Oct 2002 - Jan 2005
2nd Platoon "BlackSheep" FO Type 1 each.
OIF 2003
OEF 2003, 2004

Return to “About RASP”