What is going on?

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Dayum! and I though the listerine drinkers were bad!...
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

ABCs anyone? Transport with O2? Let the doctors with the big $$$ deal with it.

Track marks? Have Narcan and a straight jacket.....

But then I was never an Urban paramedic...
bulldogg
Tadpole

Post by bulldogg »

The 150bpm would run counter to normal signs and symptoms of GHB. Other signs seem to fit. It is very possible she got a cocktail and that would explain why her presentation doesn't fit any one profile. X will increase your heart rate and cause confusion etc put GHB and X together, possible.

My money would be on Ketamine, would it show on a tox screen?
* increased heart rate
* slurred speech
* paralyzed feeling
* nausea
* unable to move
* hallucination
* numbness
* impaired attention, memory and learning ability
* delirium, amnesia, impaired motor function, high blood pressure, depression and potentially fatal respiratory problems at higher doses
http://www.clearhavencenter.com/substan ... -abuse.php
USA/87-89/91A
USAR/91-93/91E
INARNG/93-95/44B
"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam"
resqparamedic
Ranger

Post by resqparamedic »

bulldogg wrote:The 150bpm would run counter to normal signs and symptoms of GHB. Other signs seem to fit. It is very possible she got a cocktail and that would explain why her presentation doesn't fit any one profile. X will increase your heart rate and cause confusion etc put GHB and X together, possible.

My money would be on Ketamine, would it show on a tox screen?
* increased heart rate
* slurred speech
* paralyzed feeling
* nausea
* unable to move
* hallucination
* numbness
* impaired attention, memory and learning ability
* delirium, amnesia, impaired motor function, high blood pressure, depression and potentially fatal respiratory problems at higher doses
http://www.clearhavencenter.com/substan ... -abuse.php
Other than the pupils, I would lay my bet on a cocktail containing Ecstasy(MDMA) which is quite often mixed with either, or both, Ketamine and GHB. However, the pupils may be constricted due to some other drugs used with X. All of this would give you a wide and varying range of symptoms. Some of the Sx/Sx of X use are elevated temp, elevated BP, elevated pulse, loss of conciousness, etc...

One of the deals with Ecstasy use, is that users frequently use other drugs with it, which I have already mentioned. One of the favorite mixes is to take X, with a stimulant to keep you up and peppy while your X trip is going on. So frequently Meth, or Coke is used with it. However, when people are out of money, or don't have a good connection, they often take Ephedra, or the like.

The problem with the stimulant is it stimulates them too much and they don't enjoy the high of the X as much, so in comes the GHB to bring them down just enough to enjoy the high, but not enough that they crash. The problem is, GHB is not an exact science. It is usually taken by the "cap full;" the cap coming from whatever container it is kept in. When mixing it with alcohol people can easily OD if they take too much, which is not hard to do.

Also, X is not usually tested for unless specifically resquested.

That would be my best guess.
Regt HQ '93 - '94
Bco 3/75 '94 - '96

Afghanistan '04 - '05
Iraq '05 - '08
Sudan '08 - '09
Iraq '09 - As soon as I can finish up my contract!
DJB
Ranger

Post by DJB »

91W, any way to get some closure on this thing, I am curious about final hospital Dx/Rx/Tx.
Aco1/75 Rgr 92-98, class 3/94, 300F1 5/95
Instructor Medical OBC, 99-00, 143rd LRSD (TXNG) 00-03.
Contractor Physician JBLM 2010-

Jihadists have no means by which to destroy the institutions of our society, while the Congressman does.

http://www.lifesharers.org/
91W
USAR

Post by 91W »

bustedkidney wrote:91W, any way to get some closure on this thing, I am curious about final hospital Dx/Rx/Tx.
She was discharged the same evening to jail for minor consuming with no other info from the doc.
"If you cannot accomplish great things, Accomplish small things in a great way"

"A Goal is a dream with a deadline"

USAR 1995-2005
OIF 2004-2005
91W
NREMT

Return to “Medical Issues”