What is going on?

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
91W
USAR

What is going on?

Post by 91W »

Dispatched to a party that is busted by law enforcement. On arrival find a 20 year old female in the fetal position with a GCS of 3. Pulled her out of the closet and laid down on the floor. Just to be sure I did a sternal rub that would have woke the dead with no response. Pulse is tachy at 150 resps at 14 and adequate, skin flushed and hot. Pupils constricted. I cut her shirt off to apply the monitor and she all of a sudden had a GCS 15.

She denied drinking. PBT was .112. She denied drug use. Pupils still constricted and skin same. Walked her to the truck and transported. Monitor showed Sinus tach, bp 158/90, pulse and resps same. Blood glucose was 158.

Urine Tox screen showed nothing in ER. Blood showed alcohol.

I was thinking amphetamines at first but with a negative urine tox I have no clue what was on board. Could X do this?

Just wondering what the other Medics and PA's and Doc's think.
"If you cannot accomplish great things, Accomplish small things in a great way"

"A Goal is a dream with a deadline"

USAR 1995-2005
OIF 2004-2005
91W
NREMT
DJB
Ranger

Post by DJB »

Sounds like Anticholinergic syndrome, she may have OD on benadryl or Dramamine.
Aco1/75 Rgr 92-98, class 3/94, 300F1 5/95
Instructor Medical OBC, 99-00, 143rd LRSD (TXNG) 00-03.
Contractor Physician JBLM 2010-

Jihadists have no means by which to destroy the institutions of our society, while the Congressman does.

http://www.lifesharers.org/
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Bad heat stroke can present similarly. How was she mental status? You say GCS-15 but was she lethargic? Did she remember what happened? Did you try breaking her heart rate? IV's?

Really, as long as you have control of the ball when you cross the plane.. it counts as a score, right?
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
medicchick
DSOTYR - Ranger Wife

Post by medicchick »

Any PVCs or just straight sinus tach?
Someone needs to teach the regular Army how to make a packing list.

Supporting my DAV, one day at a time.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

You lost me when you cut her shirt off.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Flesh Thorn wrote:You lost me when you cut her shirt off.
This thread is worthless without pics.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

I don't know shit from shinola about advanced medical treatment, but pulling her out of the closet sounds kinda strange... The only people I've known in closets at a party are LSD users having a bad one, but constricted pupils disposes that theory...
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

After you got her shirt off.....was she hot?
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Abell9 wrote:After you got her shirt off.....was she hot?
And if she was, this thread is worthless without....... :lol:
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Shit, If I ONLY had a camera and could take pics of some of the shit I've seen.... We take some Hot-ass drunks to the ER on the weekends.. (but more are not so hot..) :(
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Fishboy
Ranger

Post by Fishboy »

RTO wrote:
Abell9 wrote:After you got her shirt off.....was she hot?
And if she was, this thread is worthless without....... :lol:
have yall no shame!

Hijacking this thread...................

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

but seriously,
did you get pics?
WHEN IN DOUBT, SHOOT IT OUT!
Never let your fears stand in the way of your dreams.

RS 4-92
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

A sternum rub ? :? There are some intoxicants out there that are not main stream. I don't know about the increase in BP, but a heavy dose of something like Salvia could put a person into a "trip" for up to 15 minutes with a rapid return to reality and would not show up on a tox screen. Of course coming out of a hallucinogenic state with a paramedic "rubbing your sternum" could account for an increased BP. :D
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Flesh Thorn wrote:A sternum rub ? :? There are some intoxicants out there that are not main stream. I don't know about the increase in BP, but a heavy dose of something like Salvia could put a person into a "trip" for up to 15 minutes with a rapid return to reality and would not show up on a tox screen. Of course coming out of a hallucinogenic state with a paramedic "rubbing your sternum" could account for an increased BP. :D
Yea, medically speaking. Of course, an injection of hot heat seeking moisture missile lubricant will do the same thing especially shot up the nose and throat..........
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
91W
USAR

Post by 91W »

Ranger Bustedkidney

That one did not even cross my mind. I did not get an impression that she would be suicidal but accidental could be a possibility.

Ranger Sleepy Doc,

She was A@O X3. She had no recolition to the events. There was no indication to break the heart rate she was stable and all indications were pointing to normal perfusion at the time. Yes she got my normal IV 18ga in the hand. I ran the fluids at WO due to the fact of the elevated blood glucose. Our transport times are generally under 10 min in town so only about 250ml infused.

Medicchick,

No PVC's at all. That rules out most Cocain type drugs for me.

Ranger Fish,

That thought crossed my mind. The only time I have seen it the pt. did not due a complete turnaround that fast.

Ranger Flesh Thorn,

That is the problem she did not stir during the sternal rub. If she was faking she has an extremely high pain tolerance.

All other Rangers. I will keep my mouth shut due to what I think is the ethical thing to do. (and due to the fact of no camera) :lol:
"If you cannot accomplish great things, Accomplish small things in a great way"

"A Goal is a dream with a deadline"

USAR 1995-2005
OIF 2004-2005
91W
NREMT

Return to “Medical Issues”