DEP Assignment

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Ranger Hopps
Ranger

Post by Ranger Hopps »

Ranger Desert Sloth, here are the Teams...

Team One
Deep End & Ray80

Team Two
Hopps & Vapor Brain

Team Three
Quigs & Hemorrhage:

Team Four
Certiorari & Blankenship

Hopps

EDITED: quigs and hemorrage, not Pfc_Oreo
Last edited by Ranger Hopps on May 12th, 2004, 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
1/75 Feb. '05-Jul '08

RS class 04-07

Ranger Saltbitch wrote: "...you will face fear and pain. Do not stop, do not listen; it will only give you excuses to quit."
Lotus Lips

Post by Lotus Lips »

Am I sitting this one out? or would it be ok if I still tried it?
Lotus Lips

Post by Lotus Lips »

Roger that Ranger Desert Sloth, ill do 500 PU for failure to read and follow instructions.
Ranger Hopps
Ranger

Post by Ranger Hopps »

Here is the assignment Ranger Desert Sloth...

Team 1: Deep End & Ray80

We have selected LTC William Darby as the Ranger Leader who has impacted the 75th Ranger Regiment the most out of: General Francis Marion, Colonel John Mosby, General Frank Merrill, and LTC William Darby.

Compare
These four Ranger Leaders had several similarities.

-All four men were innovators who constantly tried to come up with innovative ways to make their soldiers more effective.

-They all used small units rather than the much larger conventional units.

-All four of these Rangers learned to use the terrain to their advantage when conducting operations behind enemy lines.

-Each Ranger Leader specialized in leading troops on raids into enemy territory in an effort to disrupt and cause havoc in a swift, covert manner.

Contrast
There were many differences among these four Ranger Leaders. Many of these differences were due to the fact that all four Rangers operated in different time periods.

-General Francis Marion is the only of these Rangers to almost exclusively use guerilla warfare.

-Colonel John Mosby’s forces were probably the most skillful in terms of reconnaissance thanks to their extensive experience operating behind the Union Army’s lines.

-General Frank Merrill used forces that were somewhat larger than the other three, up to 400 men in a combat team.

-LTC William Darby is the Ranger Leader who emphasized mental toughness, intelligence and motivation in his soldiers. He looked beyond a soldiers physical ability, knowing those with the proper mental fortitude would make the best Rangers.

Major Traits
The major trait that LTC William Darby instituted and is still utilized in the Ranger Regiment/Community is mental fortitude. While screening the volunteers for his Battalion, LTC Darby looked for intelligence, motivation, drive, and enthusiasm. The current selection process for the 75th Ranger Regiment (R.I.P.) weeds out those that do not possess these attributes.

Impact on the 75th Ranger Regiment
The reason we think William Darby has impacted the Regiment the most is that his process of selecting and creating soldiers that are as strong mentally as they are physically is a core principle in the Regiment today. Countless Rangers have told us that you will fail mentally far sooner than you will fail physically. Because of this, mental fortitude is crucial to being a member of the 75th Ranger Regiment. The traits and skills of the other three Ranger Leaders can be found in most other units in the U.S. Army. Extreme mental strength seems to be a trait found almost exclusively in the 75th Ranger Regiment.

Sources
http://www.benning.army.mil/rtb/HISTORY/histopen.htm
http://www.grunts.net/army/darbysrangers.html

Team 2: Hopps & Vapor Brain

Comparison

-Each Ranger was a mastermind in their ability to create and implement new and effective tactics for their era of warfare.

-All four Rangers pushed their soldiers harder making treks, or making maneuvers through dense areas of cover, using this to make the most opportune attack.

-Enabling these types of tactics made each Ranger’s units stand a cut above the rest.

-These Rangers never new the word quit, and always completed the mission!

Contrasts

-Frank D. Merrill trained his troops in the jungles of Burma, while William Darby trained his Rangers in Achnacarry, Scotland.

-William Darby and his Rangers fought mostly in North Africa while Frank D. Merrill's 'Marauders' fought in Asia against the Japanese.

-Francis Marion fought in the Revolutionary War while Merrill and Darby fought in WW2 and John Mosby in the Civil War.

-Merrill and Darby were the only ones to attend West Point, while Marion and Mosby worked off of natural military knowledge.

Traits of Gen. Frank D. Merrill

-Was awarded the Purple Heart for his courageous actions in Burma between March and May of 1942.

-He performed the training of his new long-range penetration infantrymen through harsh training in jungles.

-Frank D. Merrill was not only a soldier, he was a scholar. He graduated from MIT in 1938 with a B.S. Degree in military engineering. He set the example that Rangers not only need to be tough, but need to be smart.

-Frank D. Merrill also held up the Ranger saying of “Rangers lead the way!â€
1/75 Feb. '05-Jul '08

RS class 04-07

Ranger Saltbitch wrote: "...you will face fear and pain. Do not stop, do not listen; it will only give you excuses to quit."
Bell

Post by Bell »

Good job guys. You stepped up to the plate and knocked a home run. Not only did you complete the mission within the time limit, you excelled in your performance.

I'll put in a recommendation to Ranger Desert Sloth for weekend passes for everyone.

Outstanding job troops.

RLTW
Bell
lawdog
Tadpole

Post by lawdog »

If you will excuse me Rangers if I overstep. I have no knowledge on the facts but I thought that was impressive. I got a great history lesson.
“You got the right to remain silent, so shut the fuck up, ok? You got the right to an attorney. If you can't afford an attorney, we will provide you with the dumbest fucking lawyer on earth. If you get Johnny Cochrane, I'll kill ya!â€
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Deps,
That was a good effort on a fairly advanced assignment. There is one fact that I thought was a slight oversight, what about Marksmanship?
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Well done men! I hope you all learned more than a History lesson on this assignment. The History and lineage of the Rangers is VERY important. So is learning to work as a Team when under pressure. Again, well done.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
rangercamaro
Ranger

Post by rangercamaro »

Outstanding job men!!!!

Very well thought out points and you showed an unusual amount of brain power! Now, don't just throw this education out, use it help you grow everyday!!!! Although this dealt with military tactics and such, you can turn this into a lesson for life!!! After all, that's what Regt is... A WAY OF LIFE!!!!

Again, OUTSTANDING JOB!!!!

RLTW!!!
Bco 1/75 2nd plt Wpn Sqd 89-93
HHC 1/75 Bn Armorer 93-94 (after cookoff)

Return to “The Mosh Pit”