My Savage

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
GSXRanger
Ranger

My Savage

Post by GSXRanger »

Ok, I have a new project now. It's an older Savage Tactical chambered in .308. I picked it up from a buddy of mine for a SONG.

I believe it's an "older" version of the Tactical platform that is so popular. It is a .308, with a 20 inch barrel. It does not have an Accu-trigger, but the trigger it does have, is fantastic. Zero creep, and breaks between 1 and 2 pounds. Very short stroke on the trigger.

The action is pretty smooth... and does not look like many rounds have been fired through it. The wear marks are normal, and the bolt has "Savage Tactic" on it. Not "Tactical".

The stock is not original... I was told it is a McMillan, but I don't believe it is. If it is, it is an older version.

It has not been bedded or lapped in properly, because it touches the barrel on the right side of the gun. It's primed, and ready for paint. I have not mounted any glass on it, but holding the gun to my shoulder, the pull seems a bit short for me. The angle of the "pistol" grip, is a bit shallow... so, I may change the stock down the road. Everything will be clear to me, once I mount optics and get on the range with it.

I have not fired it, but will once I mount some glass on it, and bed the stock to the action properly.

Any input will be great... advice on glass, bipods, history of this gun... etc.

As I said, I damn near stole this thing, so I am not complaining.

Last edited by GSXRanger on January 30th, 2008, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Bullybreed
USANG Veteran

Post by Bullybreed »

GSX Ranger,
Thats a good looking rifle...it should be a great canvas for you. I fired a Savage Tactical, actually in the .308, about 2 weeks ago. Now that I think of it, I think that the bolt might have actually said "Savage Tactic", but I'm not sure how old the rifle actually was. Anyways it shot great at 100yds with a smaller optic...smooth functions. I think you will be able to work with it.
May98-Feb01, 1164TC, 79th Troop Command, MA ARNG

"The Peace Symbol is the Footprint of the American Chicken"
Ndog275
Ranger

Post by Ndog275 »

I hate you :evil: Your ever-expanding gun collection is probably worth more than my house :P :shock: :lol:
A 1/75 93-97
B&HHC 2/75 97-99
RS 3,4&5-95

This mighty soldier on the eve of the war he waged
Told his troops of lessons learned from battles fought.
"May your heart grow bolder like an iron-clad brigade"
Said this leader to his outnumbered lot.

www.75thrra.com
www.tacticaltailor.com
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Ndog275 wrote:I hate you :evil: Your ever-expanding gun collection is probably worth more than my house :P :shock: :lol:
No need brother...

This rifle will be a GREAT starting point. I know there are a few guys on here with a SHIT load of tactical shooting experience. I am a newb to this genre. I can hold my own in IPSC with a pistol, but long range shooting is not something us SIGINT / HUMINT guys get exposed too very much.

Besides... I still have a few more pieces to acquire before I am done. 8)
Last edited by GSXRanger on February 26th, 2008, 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Tupac

Post by Tupac »

Good find! My long range shooting knowledge came mostly from asking our SNOT guys questions and reading Plaster's books. But i'll tell you, it's a fucking awesome skill and I've enjoyed learning more about it the past few years.

What kind of scope are you planning on buying? Scope rings and a base?
I went with a SWFA super sniper scope $300, an excellent optic for the money. Mounted on badger ordnance rings and base. Since I only shoot 168 grain boat-tail hollow point hornady TAP, I got a Kenton industries custom BDC turret. They will tailor make a Turret that is calibrated for your specific bullet weight and envronment. About 70 bucks shipped.

Anyway, sorry If I just bombarded you with info, just my .02
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Timmy wrote:Good find! My long range shooting knowledge came mostly from asking our SNOT guys questions and reading Plaster's books. But i'll tell you, it's a fucking awesome skill and I've enjoyed learning more about it the past few years.

What kind of scope are you planning on buying? Scope rings and a base?
I went with a SWFA super sniper scope $300, an excellent optic for the money. Mounted on badger ordnance rings and base. Since I only shoot 168 grain boat-tail hollow point hornady TAP, I got a Kenton industries custom BDC turret. They will tailor make a Turret that is calibrated for your specific bullet weight and envronment. About 70 bucks shipped.

Anyway, sorry If I just bombarded you with info, just my .02
Timmy, the Super Sniper 10x is exactly what I had in mind. Sure, there are better pieces of glass out there, but for the $$$ I think it is perfect for this gun and my skill level right now.

Right now, I am studying the ballistic sheets and learning what I can about flight characteristics for the .308 out of a 20 inch barrel. As I said, I am a newb to this sport, and know just enough to know I don't know shit. :wink:

I am very open to any and all guidance, and advice... as of now, I am a sponge! So... let me know what you guys think.

As for the stock, I am going over to my buddy's house tonight to lap the barrel and fit the stock correctly. He has been a bench rest shooter for many years, and will help me get the action bedded properly. I will take some better pictures tonight, since this picture SUCKS.

I really like the feel of the gun, I am just concerned that the pull may be a bit short for my gorilla arms.

Cheers, and thanks for the input guys.. means alot to me.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GSXRanger
Ranger

Update!

Post by GSXRanger »

Update...

Here is what the little Savage looks like now... all snug in her new clothes. I just finished it today... blued the V Block bedding to make sure the action fits squarely... torqued everything to specs... added the rings and glass... and she is good to go.

I will be sanding it down soon, and adding some paint... but for now, I am gonna take her to the range and start building DOPE on it.

For the money, I was impressed with the Choate Stock... all in all, I have less than a grand in this rifle.

The trigger is the sweetest part of it!!!

I ordered an extended Tactical Bolt Handle from Sharp Shooter's Supply today... should be here for the weekend. I will let you know how this Ugly Duckling Shoots!
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

borebrush wrote:There's a company that makes BDC knobs for the SS. Lemme try to find the link.

found it****

http://www.kentonindustries.com/ttcCalc/

Click Tasco, then SuperSniper and enter in the fields.
Borebrush... I will have to give them a call. That looks nice and easy. Once I find what load this thing likes to shoot, 70 bucks is worth getting a BDC for the glass...

Thanks Brother!
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

borebrush wrote:No problemo, gunsmithing advice at chatroom whore prices :lol:

I've heard that you can degrease the internals of the knobs to make them more crisp. Haven't tried it. I wouldn't waste ammo on getting it dialed in until you get all the disassembly and painting out of your system. Mask off the contact points with tape to prevent tolerence stacking issues, when painting that is.

Rustoleum textured Outdoor furniture paint has held up 400x better than Duracoat. It goes on thick though, but really roughs up the reflective signature. Thats what I used on both my 700 and LWRC.
Would you mind linking some pictures of how you painted your rifle and scope? I am sooooo timid of spraying this thing... I don't wanna fuck it up! :shock:

It's more the optics that I care about. I don't wanna get paint on the glass... I know how to mask it, but still... tis a bit tedious. :P
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Return to “Weapons of War”