Scoliosis

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Viking
Ranger

Re: Scoliosis

Post by Viking »

Prodigy922 wrote:Has anyone actually known someone in infantry with Scoliosis, and if so how did things go for them? I'm willing to push on no matter what.
Yeah, me. Something like 11 degrees. Did my back hurt? yes, and so did my feet, my shins, my legs, my shoulders, my neck and my chaffed asscrack.
There will be plenty of other things to take your mind off of it, like your Team Leader screaming in your face about that speck of carbon he found on your bolt.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you're just a minor case it shouldn't be a problem given the proper intestinal fortitude.
A Co, 3/75 92-95. RS 9-93
Viking
Ranger

Re: Scoliosis

Post by Viking »

Prodigy922 wrote:
Viking wrote:
Prodigy922 wrote:Has anyone actually known someone in infantry with Scoliosis, and if so how did things go for them? I'm willing to push on no matter what.
Yeah, me. Something like 11 degrees. Did my back hurt? yes, and so did my feet, my shins, my legs, my shoulders, my neck and my chaffed asscrack.
There will be plenty of other things to take your mind off of it, like your Team Leader screaming in your face about that speck of carbon he found on your bolt.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you're just a minor case it shouldn't be a problem given the proper intestinal fortitude.
That's about what mine is too. Oh my, thank you so much.
Oh my, you're so very welcome!
bulldogg
Tadpole

Post by bulldogg »

:shock:
Oh my, I thought Viking was a Ranger.
USA/87-89/91A
USAR/91-93/91E
INARNG/93-95/44B
"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam"
Viking
Ranger

Post by Viking »

Prodigy922 wrote:I suppose there is another issue, my mother constantly smokes cigarettes in the house despite me telling her not to so I have a ventilation system set up in my room. But none the less, I feel as though it's make me wheeze a bit when I run and I would be immensely pissed if I couldn't do Rangers and Firefighting because of her. I stay outside as much as possible and such but I gotta sleep here and stuff. Will a bit of cigarette smoke all the time make it tougher on me?
Are you kidding me? Dude, some of the fastest runners I knew were smokers. You are wheezing because you need to run harder and more often.

To preempt your next question, masturbation will not cause you to go blind, so eyesight will not be an issue either.
CatFish Driver
Ranger

Post by CatFish Driver »

Viking wrote:
Prodigy922 wrote:I suppose there is another issue, my mother constantly smokes cigarettes in the house despite me telling her not to so I have a ventilation system set up in my room. But none the less, I feel as though it's make me wheeze a bit when I run and I would be immensely pissed if I couldn't do Rangers and Firefighting because of her. I stay outside as much as possible and such but I gotta sleep here and stuff. Will a bit of cigarette smoke all the time make it tougher on me?
Are you kidding me? Dude, some of the fastest runners I knew were smokers. You are wheezing because you need to run harder and more often.

To preempt your next question, masturbation will not cause you to go blind, so eyesight will not be an issue either.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ranger School Class 08-02

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice, moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
--Senator Barry Goldwater
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

bulldogg wrote::shock:
Oh my, I thought Viking was a Ranger.
What would you know aboout being a Ranger?
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Viking
Ranger

Post by Viking »

Prodigy922 wrote: I just got back from a run... I ran hills till' I threw up to test my limits.. That bad? I think it's from the temperature being in the triple digits and the water I was drinking in a camel back was extremely hot, I went about 10 miles but it was at a fairly slow pace.
Well, I don't know many high schoolers who can run 10 miles, so you're probably on the right track. Don't forget to work on speed, either. Fartlek runs help (google it). Throwing up is good, I do it on every PT test run. It's true. Of course, understand the difference between pushing yourself and killing yourself. Don't go dying on us.
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

My back is as crooked as a dog's hind leg. Just prior to my enlistment, the civvie orthopedic docs wanted to put be in a back brace from my neck to my knees to help correct it and alleviate the pain I was in (spine was still growing).

I somehow forgot to mention I had a curved spine to the MEPS docs, and got my contract. After the thousands of pushups that strengthened my back muscles, my back stopped hurting for good. No back injuries. No knee injuries. Nothing.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Viking
Ranger

Post by Viking »

Prodigy922 wrote: What's the explanation for throwing up? I wasn't too sure why but I heard of that happening to the sports players when they train hard so I figured I was ok because I didn't get sick. So I've been training to almost sickness every day that I can now except Sunday.
Hell if I know. It's called "pushing yourself".

Return to “Medical Issues”