Promotion to e-4 pre-ship

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
someguy
Tadpole

Promotion to e-4 pre-ship

Post by someguy »

When I was at MEPS the counselor told me that after I get my college degree I have to bring a letter from my university specifying so to my recruiter's office and the promotion will be done there. Today I spoke with my recruiter after a PT test and he told me that this promotion would have to be done at MEPS. Any information on this would be appreciated; don't want to screw myself.

-Thank you.
Pirate.
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

I can't help you with the promotion thing, but were you taking a PT test, and if so, what were your scores?
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
someguy
Tadpole

Post by someguy »

Ranger Rangerguru,

My PT scores are in line with those recently stated in the latter part of my introduction thread. (I can max the run+, I can max the sit-ups+, I'm struggling with my push-ups and I am following Ranger Dafid Ranger's advice to improve them - which is already showing progress)

Today I only did the go/no go.

1 mile run was 6:10
1 min sit-ups: 44
1 min push-ups: 42
Pirate.
soldiersdad
Ranger Dad

Post by soldiersdad »

hi, After you show proof of college degree, the proof will be put into your folder and your contract will read spec/4.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

Agree with the above statement. I will add that it must not be a letter, and should be transcripts showing a degree awarded.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
someguy
Tadpole

Post by someguy »

Ranger hit_it,

My school just advised me that I cannot get a complete transcript showing degree awarded untill "early june" (which fucks me royally because I leave the 29th of this month!). What they did say is that they can give me a "Letter of Completion;" basically stating the degree completed and the date of completion. Is this acceptable?
Pirate.
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

someguy wrote:Ranger hit_it,

My school just advised me that I cannot get a complete transcript showing degree awarded untill "early june" (which fucks me royally because I leave the 29th of this month!). What they did say is that they can give me a "Letter of Completion;" basically stating the degree completed and the date of completion. Is this acceptable?
While Hit_it is a venerable member of this site he is not a Ranger, you should not address him as one dipshit. Pay the fuck attention to detail college spec-4.
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

someguy wrote:Ranger Rangerguru,

My PT scores are in line with those recently stated in the latter part of my introduction thread. (I can max the run+, I can max the sit-ups+, I'm struggling with my push-ups and I am following Ranger Dafid Ranger's advice to improve them - which is already showing progress)

Today I only did the go/no go.

1 mile run was 6:10
1 min sit-ups: 44
1 min push-ups: 42
Why are you doing 1 mile run and one minute pushup/situps?
someguy
Tadpole

Post by someguy »

Ranger Charlie 51,

By skimming through the posts I had the impression that recruiter hit_it was a Ranger. While it was on my mind that it was a possibility he was not, I took a chance in an attempt not to offend him. It will not happen again.

Ranger RTO,

That was a PT test done for the recruiter. It consisted of a 1 minute push-ups test, 1 minute sit-ups test, and a 1 mile run. My complete APFT is in the latter part of my introduction.
Pirate.
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

The first physical fitness assessment conducted at a reception station is the 1/1/1 to verify a minimum acceptable for entry into basic training, establish run groups, etc.

Recruiters give a 1/1/1 so the DEP knows where they're at. I don't think recruiters are required to do this, so if one out there is conducting an assessement, good on them.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

the letter stating you completed is good but you will need to transcripts with you o ship day.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

I expect you to do well with the initial part of basic training and if you have not quit your contract due to rumor fear by the time airborne school rolls around, you'll see that the PT there is a joke, although they are trying to make it tougher. The PT at RIP you cannot do. You are not supposed to be able to do it. This is by design - the RIP instructors job - among many is to assess your mental response to muscle failure. Hopefully you have a strong mind, otherwise all this talk about where you are now PT wise and what rank you'll be when you ship won't mean shit.

Keep your eye on the real prize.
someguy
Tadpole

Post by someguy »

Recruiter hit_it,

Thank you for clarifying that. I called my university and I was told that I will be given a full transcript reflecting my degree awarded. One squared-away individual there made the decision to expedite the process. That sure has made my life easier.

Ranger Spartan,

I'm concerned with graduating RIP; that is my ultimate goal. I do not however, want to become disgruntled in the process or become distracted in any way from that goal. I figure the more prepared I am now, the road will become a bit easier later on. I will give 110% throughout all my stages of training and focus on the end rather than give in to the now. The advice, insight, and general guidance I have received here has improved me as an individual and is unmatched in the things that I value. I am sure it will keep my head on throughout my training.
Pirate.

Return to “Recruitment Process”