Disability Question

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

RangerJurena
Ranger/Moderator

Disability Question

Post by RangerJurena »

So when I'm ETSing after 10 years, I get to the part where they start asking if I have anything to claim. I knew from previous tests that my hearing had gradually been declining over the course of my tour of duty and I was pretty sure that I had a bone chip in my elbow.

Hearing loss is self explanatory after all the live fires and the elbow was from the Rock DZ back before someone caught their snap and said, "we should provide elbow and knee pads".

All that being said, I felt like I was owed nothing, the Army had been very good to me and of course a big dose of Machismo prevented me from making any claims.

Fast forward to present day...the hearing thing is absolutely driving me crazy. The family is constantly asking me "did you hear what I just said"? Or "hey, turn the TV down".

The elbow, only when I bump into something and then its a shooting pain and I don't really give a shit about that. The hearing though, its drives me nuts and I'm pissed at myself for not saying anything.

All minituia as compared to what they guys these days are going through, but I was wondering does anyone know if I have any recourse?
C.Co 1/75 '87-'93
6-89
http://www.75thrra.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - are you a member?

Post by Darksaga »

Ranger,

What you would need to do is speak with a service officer with one of the veterans service organizations first.

You will need to set up an apppointment with the VA to get a hearing assessment. They will compare your current hearing level with that from when you went to basic. They can provide you hearing aids.

As for the elbow I am not sure. Again I would speak with one of the service organizations about the case.

Good luck.

DS
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"I might not be Airborne however, it's whats on my right sleave!"
*1992-1996 USMC CPL
* 12/2005- present USAR Medic PL/ Human Terrain Teams
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

You are eligible. It will prolly be a fight, but you deserve treatment.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando

Return to “Post Service Issues”