1911 Choices

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
GSXRanger
Ranger

1911 Choices

Post by GSXRanger »

Ok gang, for those of you out there in the "know".

I am getting ready to purchase a graduation present for myself. I have always wanted a good 1911, and have been shopping around for a long while. I have fired several from different manufacturers and have my choice pretty much nailed.

I have never shot or even held this particular model, but... here's the scoop. My dad is a FFL holder, and gets a VERY good deal on certain weapons. The deal I can get on this particular piece is outright amazing. So, that is what led me to the Kimber line. I have never owned a Kimber, but I have shot several versions in various IPSC events.

I own a few Glocks and a SIG P220 chambered in the .45 ACP and love to shoot every one of them. But, I have always wanted a 1911.

So, I decided on the Kimber Custom II Desert Warrior. You can see it HERE

I like the features of it, but my questions are about the finish. The new KimPro2 finish. Is it as durable as they claim?

Again, this is not my first rodeo, but it is my first 1911... and I can't beat the price.

Thanks in advance for the input guys... especially those that are in the know.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

I got a Kimber Pro Carry and absolutley love it.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

I have a real early Kimber Classic and I love it, but if I was getting a gift for myself it would be a Les Bear Premier II
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Horned Toad wrote:I have a real early Kimber Classic and I love it, but if I was getting a gift for myself it would be a Les Bear Premier II
Yeah, me too... if I had an unlimited budget. But, the $$$ is in my range for this particular model, and it has all the features I am looking for. :wink:

I was just curious as to the KimPro finish...
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Ndog275
Ranger

Post by Ndog275 »

All handguns should be Glocks :!: Unless the owner is a criminal, terrorist, wack job, etc, then it should be a Raven .380 with a broken firing pin, a broken mag, the slide should be rusted shut and said nut case should have an overwhelming urge to point it at me while I'm at work :twisted:
Last edited by Ndog275 on March 26th, 2007, 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A 1/75 93-97
B&HHC 2/75 97-99
RS 3,4&5-95

This mighty soldier on the eve of the war he waged
Told his troops of lessons learned from battles fought.
"May your heart grow bolder like an iron-clad brigade"
Said this leader to his outnumbered lot.

www.75thrra.com
www.tacticaltailor.com
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

This link may be helpful: http://www.m1911.org/
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

GSXRanger wrote:
Horned Toad wrote:I have a real early Kimber Classic and I love it, but if I was getting a gift for myself it would be a Les Bear Premier II
Yeah, me too... if I had an unlimited budget. But, the $$$ is in my range for this particular model, and it has all the features I am looking for. :wink:

I was just curious as to the KimPro finish...
hmm seems you got money for the GSXR and the mountain bike, its all about priorities :lol:
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

I got really lucky with where I live since Gander Mountain is where some Marine Corp small arms guys moonlight. I have a Colt series 70 that was kind of brought to MEUSOC/MCMU spec by a Marine that builds them in Quantico. I also got it for next to nothing as far as price is concerned. The sum bitch locks up tight and I use Wilson mags.

My advice would be to go to Caspian arms, pick the features you want then take the mess to a 1911 gunsmith with your wish list. Some argue that Stainless is the way to go. I am bit old fashioned and like the high polish on sides /matte on curves finish in a custom leather holster.

Even though there are lots of better handguns out there I prefer a series 70 1911 because I can work on it myself. Don't fuck with it too much otherwise you will fuck yourself up with a negligent discharge. It did not happen to me but the gentleman it did happen to in Iraq is the only thing he really known for.

A neat little piece is the Colt Gunsite Lt Wt Commander. I had the alluminum frame replaced with a steel one and the frame is the size of an officer's model but with a commander sized slide.

With all gasping aside, I preffer standard GI type ball ammo. It worked for Grandpa Rothaar in WWI, Grandpa Perkins in WWII and my father when he was in the Army.
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

built some for "some dudes" a while back though so I know that building from scratch with decent components is NOT cheap. I was about $1300 in parts alone NOT including frame.

Yes, come to think of it, it was not all that much cheaper, but I know it was done on an individual leve with me knowing who did the work, and I picked the parts myself - piecing it together over time - sear here, disconector there, Kart barrell etc....
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Well, I have decided on the Springfield Armory "Operator" line. I am gonna get a full sized 1911 first, and then go from there. I have been warned that once I start shooting a "real" pistol, I will throw my "plastic toys" away...

We shall see!
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

Springfield is a wise decision and the first pistol I bought when I was in the Army (Milspec model). They are good solid pieces of hardware.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

I like my Loaded. wouldn't mind a trigger job on it though....
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long

Return to “Weapons of War”