75th Ranger Regiment Question

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
rogers0311
Embryo

75th Ranger Regiment Question

Post by rogers0311 »

Rangers,

I apologize if this has been asked before, or if this is in the wrong place. I tried searching for this, but maybe my computer skills are lacking.

Anyways, from what I have gathered, you can only serve a few years in a Ranger Battalion before you are forced back into the regular Army.

I understand that some Rangers will go to Special Forces, but truthfully, I am not interested in that route. Basically, I just want to run around shooting motherfuckers in the face.

So my question is, how long are you able to stay in a Ranger Battalion until you are forced to move elsewhere?
Looon
Ranger

Re: 75th Ranger Regiment Question

Post by Looon »

rogers0311 wrote:

. Basically, I just want to run around shooting motherfuckers in the face.
If that's why you want to be a Ranger, then do the Regiment a favor and don't try. :roll:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

rogers0311 wrote: Basically, I just want to run around shooting motherfuckers in the face.
You should be punched in the face a number of times to either have some sense pounded into your skull or be put out of your misery. Short of that, seek some serious psycological help or become a gang-banger and get some...
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

rogers0311 wrote: Anyways, from what I have gathered, you can only serve a few years in a Ranger Battalion before you are forced back into the regular Army.
you gathered wrong
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
rogers0311
Embryo

Post by rogers0311 »

Rangers,

That was not meant to be taken literally. I should have explained more. What I meant to say was that the reason I was looking into the Ranger Regiment was because of their direct action-oriented mindset. I am not looking to do FID, plain and simple. I want to locate, close with and destroy the enemy. I have been to Fallujah, Ive lost friends there, and I want nothing more then the opportunity to go kick some serious ass. I can sit here all day and come up with elaborate reasons why I was looking at the Rangers. Yes, the challenge is important to me, yes I want to work with motivated warriors, etc etc. But at the end of the day, the thing that is most important to me is getting my ass into the fight. I do not feel that there is anything wrong with saying something like that. I am not trying to impress anyone, but I have been in the shit before so I am not just some wannabe coming on here posting about something he knows nothing about.

I guess I was a little too blunt with my previous post. But I will say this once again, the reason I was looking at the Regiment was because I am trying to figure out what path I should chose to kick the most ass. Plain and simple. If my attitude offends anyone, Im not sorry, I guess the Regiment is not the place I should be looking.
rogers0311
Embryo

Post by rogers0311 »

Rangers,

Also, my original question was simply how long can I spend in a Ranger Battalion before I would be forced elsewhere. The only reason I would leave the Marine Corps and join the Army would be to become a Ranger. I am a Marine infantryman, and absolutely no offense to Army infantryman, but because of the culture of the Marine Corps, I would rather spend my time in the Corps as a grunt then in the Army as a grunt. I say again, the reason I am looking at the Army is strictly the Ranger Regiment.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Very good, thanks for clarifying.
While nothing is for sure, your ability to remain in the Regiment is mostly up to you. Ranger well & you remain until you earn promotion.
Just like the battalion you're in, it's shaped like a pyramid - not every squad leader will get to be a PSG in Regiment when it's his turn to move up, and there's only one 1SG per company - you get the point.
I've met some who've managed to spend as much as 18 years in the Regiment, while others get one tour. If a slot isn't there and the choice is to turn down a stripe & end your career, the 82d can begin to look good.
So, you get to take your outstanding background from years in the Corps & the Regiment & further Abram's Charter by heading out & making some portion of the Big Arny better.
Or, if you don't want to function as an NCO leader in charge of & shaping troops, there's always Special Forces :twisted:
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

rogers0311 wrote:Rangers,

Also, my original question was simply how long can I spend in a Ranger Battalion before I would be forced elsewhere. The only reason I would leave the Marine Corps and join the Army would be to become a Ranger. I am a Marine infantryman, and absolutely no offense to Army infantryman, but because of the culture of the Marine Corps, I would rather spend my time in the Corps as a grunt then in the Army as a grunt. I say again, the reason I am looking at the Army is strictly the Ranger Regiment.
Your length of time in the Regt will depend on your competence as a Ranger and your ability to follow as well as lead. Unless you quit or get yourself in trouble.

We have a couple of retired or are about to retire board members that have spent the majority of their career in the Regt or with in the Ranger community.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
rogers0311
Embryo

Post by rogers0311 »

Rangers,

Thank you for the replies. Hopefully we are all on the same page now.

Basically the impression I am getting is that the needs of the Army come first. Trust me, after a few years in the Corps, this is something that I understand quite well.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

rogers0311 wrote:Rangers,

Thank you for the replies. Hopefully we are all on the same page now.

Basically the impression I am getting is that the needs of the Army come first. Trust me, after a few years in the Corps, this is something that I understand quite well.
If you understand it so well, why are you asking?

You're original post here made you sound like a fucking moron, especially for someone that's 'been in the shit' as you say.

For someone to say something like that, leads me to believe you have never seen 'the shit'.

Square yourself away before you continue to embarrass the rest of the Marine Corps.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
rogers0311
Embryo

Post by rogers0311 »

Ranger Cams,

I have no shame in stating my intentions. Perhaps I could have done it a little more elequantly, but I figured since I was dealing with warriors and not college students, I would just be blunt.

Truthfully, if you think I am full of shit about being in the shit (I really hate using that expression hahah) it doesn't really matter to me. I will not sit here and post stories, I do not believe in that. Plus I understand that alot of the Rangers on this board probably have a whole hell of alot more experience then I do, and I would just look like an ass.

And also, when I first posted the question about how long you can stay in the Regiment, you are right, I really had no idea. To a Marine, its easy to think that SOCOM guys have alot more say then the average grunt. So no, I did not really know that the whole "needs of the Army" applied to the Rangers as much as it does. Like I said, I am just starting to learn about the Regiment.

Lastly, I really dont see any problems being blunt. I joined the Marine Corps to fight, plain and simple. I do not care about fancy schools, fancy uniform devices, what I care about is getting out there and bringing the fight to the enemy. I am trying to figure out where I can best do that. So far the Marine Corps has been good (or bad however you want to look at it) to me in that regard. That doesn't mean that I am not going to explore other options though. That is what I am here for.

Rangers, you know my attitude by now. I will continue to be forward as long as I post on here. If my attitude and motivations go against the Rangers' on this board, then I apologize for wasting your time, and I will leave.
Scoty
Ranger

Post by Scoty »

Hmmmmmm.... :evil:
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

rogers0311 wrote:I have been to Fallujah, Ive lost friends there, and I want nothing more then the opportunity to go kick some serious ass.
Be very careful. To seek vengeance is a dangerous path and will cause you to risk the lives of fellow soldiers in order that you reach your goal. Not good!
rogers0311 wrote: the thing that is most important to me is getting my ass into the fight. I do not feel that there is anything wrong with saying something like that. I am not trying to impress anyone, but I have been in the shit before so I am not just some wannabe coming on here posting about something he knows nothing about.
It doesn't matter what your past has been. You still sound like you would rush into something without thinking. YOU DID IN YOUR POST PRIOR TO THIS!
rogers0311 wrote: I guess I was a little too blunt with my previous post. But I will say this once again, the reason I was looking at the Regiment was because I am trying to figure out what path I should chose to kick the most ass. Plain and simple. If my attitude offends anyone, Im not sorry, I guess the Regiment is not the place I should be looking.
Son you better take a deap breath and count to 10. It's not that you would offend anyone. You can't not in this house. Your mind is set to do something and that may risk the end result of the mission.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Remember that sometimes your emotions will cause you to do or write something without thinking. What makes a successful soldier or Ranger is careful thought and logic. You wish to be among the best you should start thinking like that. It’s okay to sometimes joke and talk but think about what you wrote.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”