Air Force Academy or Annapolis ???

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

That's cool that he wants to attend an academy. No matter which one I think he will need the attention of a member of your Congressional deligation. Never too early to start getting that attention.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

As far as education goes...I think Annapolis is held in higher regard than the AF academy
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Scoty
Ranger

Post by Scoty »

Silverback wrote:As far as education goes...I think Annapolis is held in higher regard than the AF academy
I've heard the same...knowing folks who have been through one or the other programs. Annapolis will open the door to more options later down the road.

Congrats to you and your boy.

-Fellow Idiot
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

You know, Zonk...regardless of what HE selects, either will serve him well and his resume will always say....Air Force Academey or Naval Academy. IN no uncertain terms, both are indicative of an exceptional young man. Scenary in Col. Springs is pretty good. Course, the Naval Lacrosse team is always an annual powerhouse. Man, Zonk....how proud you must be of him. HUGE kudos dude.....HUGE.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
last.tango
Sister

Post by last.tango »

Awesome and congratulations to your son, Ranger Zonk1/75!

My brother graduated from Annapolis, then became a USMC aviator/test pilot. I'll be happy to relay any specific questions.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

He obviously takes after his mom..... :lol: . I know you've got to be extremely proud of him. As Abell9 said, I think he's in a win-win situation. Either one will serve him well. Congrats!
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

There are hotter chicks at Annapolis... didn't you see the movie? :lol: :lol: :lol:
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

GSXRanger wrote:There are hotter chicks at Annapolis... didn't you see the movie? :lol: :lol: :lol:

RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

Having had West Point and Air Force academy nominations, and having been accepted, if I had to choose something other than West Point (US Army), I'd go with Annapolis.

Outstanding accomplishment by your son. His diversity in academics, sports and extracurricular surely allowed him to get this far.

Now start lobbying your Congressman to have his true applications posted by 11th grade.

.. Way to go!
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
RTO
BANNED

Re: Air Force Academy or Annapolis ???

Post by RTO »

Zonk 1/75 wrote:Air Force Academy or Annapolis ???

My kid has been selected to attend the summer academy program at both the Air Force Academy and Annapolis. Both sessions are at the same time so a decision between the two will have to be made. Obviously I want what is best for him. I myself would prefer he attend WestPoint, however their summer sessions occur before the kid’s school year is over.

I am hoping that some of you officer types could sound off on this. Other smart members (and fellow idiots) please feel free also…………

It is my understanding that the academies consider it a plus, when considering admittance, if somebody attends ANY of the summer sessions at any of they academies.

The kid is worth the effort with a good resume, GPA, test scores, leadership history, community involvement, 4 year varsity sports, drama and jazz band, flight time and blah blah blah……. He hopes to fly and his preferences are currently influenced by who has the best lacrosse team. (He has already had one of the Army coaches scouting him.)

I guess my concern is if he turns one or the other down will it affect his desirability with the one he decides against?

He still needs his nomination to an academy also, so any info, offers or favors would gladly be accepted…………… 8)

Thanks for any input!

~Z~
Outstanding achievement, I'm extremely proud of BOTH of you, but especially your son for the focus and dedication to excelence that has gained him this recognition.
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Annapolis is going to be harder and he'll get a better education.

As others have said, from there he should also have more options.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”