11x

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Carboned114
Tadpole

11x

Post by Carboned114 »

Well this is a question to the DEPers and soon too be recruits. How do you guys feel about the possibility of ending up as a 11C?
DGhost
Embryo

Post by DGhost »

11C acctually looks to be more challenging than 11B and could be just as fun. You get to blow more things up, which is a definate positive.
Freed Y
Tadpole

Post by Freed Y »

I always though 11c looked fun too but you don't get the opportunity to go to Sniper school if you have the skill. Well that's what I read on another site. When I join the army going through the 11x enlistment option, if I get 11c I will be ok with it but I'd rather have 11b.
Sniper

Post by Sniper »

Well I was not a 11c I was 11b but you still have the same training and skill sets except one is trained in mortars and being in a mortar crew. You still move like 11b fight like 11b only thing is now you and your crew are also carrying parts to a mortar as well.

Now for all you Silent Sniper types wannabes being a sniper envolves more than having a dispositon for it or nack although it helps in the long run but you REALLY have to love it to even have a hint of being a good sniper. Any monkey with a scope can tag someone at 1000m but it takes skill , intelligence and boat load of common sense to become a good sniper.

so endth the lesson
steelsixzero
Ranger

Post by steelsixzero »

This seems like an old topic.......but I feel that I could shed some light on the subject being a 11c from Battalion.

When I joined the Army I told my recruiter I wanted to go to sniper school. My dreams of stalking through the brush were shot down when AIT started and I was assigned 11c. The mortar training was actually alot of fun and the Ranger mortarmen were the best trained in the Army. Most 11c's use only one of the Army's four mortar systems when they get to their assigned units. The Ranger Regt. uses the 60mm, 81mm, and the 120mm mortar systems (bet you old school Rangers didn't even know that). They started this in 1996. So depending on the mission my squad would deploy any of these three systems.

The part that sucked was during many of the training missions when the 11b boys were kicking doors and tearing things up on the objective, the mortars were a click away doing dry fire drills. We didn't get as much of the CQB and demo training as the line platoons. Because we were pretty useless during the blank fire training, we were put to use as the opposing force for the line platoons. That was alotta fun, but it got really old getting thrown to the ground and flexcuffed....not to mention the many welts from the simunitions.

Overall, being a 11c in the Ranger Regt. was still a kick in the pants.........Hell, even the cooks and clerks have a kick ass job in the Battalion.
2/75 C Co. Wpns Plt 94-98
RGR Class 11-96
Carboned114
Tadpole

Post by Carboned114 »

Thanks for you reply. Now that I think about it, 11C doesn't look like a bad MOS at all, I still would rather be an 11B but I'll be happy either way if I make it too a Ranger Batt.
MrWesson22
Soldier

Post by MrWesson22 »

This is kind of off topic, but it's related to something Ranger Plavney mentioned. 100% tuition assistance is wonderful, but is there even a possibility we'll have the time and opportunity to take advantage of this while serving in the 75th rgt?
steelsixzero
Ranger

Post by steelsixzero »

If you get to the Battalion as 11c and complete Ranger School, you can have 11b listed as your secondary MOS. Once this is done a lateral move to the sniper section is possible. This is a pretty rare occurance, but my mortar squad leader did it. The sniper section was also recruiting privates from the line platoons at the time. We had lost most of the snipers to other units or completed their enlistment at the same time and the spots needed to be filled.

As far as the college goes while in the Battalion....that would depend on your time in Battalion, the operations tempo at the time, and staffing requirments. I knew a few guys who would get up in the morning and PT with their squads then head off the attend college classes for the rest of the day. These cases were very rare so I wouldn't count on the opportunity. Keep in mind, I left the Battalion in 1998 so alot of things may have changed.
2/75 C Co. Wpns Plt 94-98
RGR Class 11-96
Morris0352
Ranger

Post by Morris0352 »

aaa
Last edited by Morris0352 on February 18th, 2009, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carboned114
Tadpole

Post by Carboned114 »

That's what I was 'thinking' when i posted this topic. I was hoping i'd get assigned 11B because right now im more confident with a rifle then a freaking morter system. I can bet you that the 11C's in the 75th are probably the BEST morter men in the Army. Anyway.....I thought about it and figured out that I dont know shit about being 11Bravo or Charlie, and ill be happy with either...as long as im in the Regiment :)

Return to “The Mosh Pit”