A question about glasses.

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
DanteM
Embryo

Post by DanteM »

Thanks for the advice everyone. I almost just want to stick with glasses until my eyes stop growing. I've been living my entire life with glasses anyways I don't see them being a huge problem for me.
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

I actually still have the pair of BCG's that I jumped into Panama with. Go fasts were fiarly new at the time and I think SGM Puck and 3 other hooah's had them then.

Wearing Birth Control Glasses and being able to get laid prove you are a stud. (I always made the skank wear them while I did her--that way she could never identify me in the future) :wink: :twisted: :twisted:
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
Lotto
Embryo

Post by Lotto »

Rangers,

"the military barred individuals who had an earlier form of eye surgery called radial keratotomy after it became readily available to the public. In this procedure, the surgeon corrects vision by reshaping the cornea with knife cuts resembling spokes on a wheel."

The aforementioned procedure is outdated.

"Service officials have been studying photorefractive keratectomy, or PRK, and laser in-situ keratomileusis, commonly called LASIK, the two most common procedures, almost since their outset and are convinced they're safe for military members in most career fields."

PRK and LASIK are, as stated above, perfectly safe. Still, if an individual has had LASIK done that individual must submit his medical records to receive a waiver.

My resources where more information may be found:
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theorder ... urgery.htm
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningt ... urgery.htm

I posted my introduction and I have stayed within my introduction thread. Rather than asking the question on my mind I searched the forums and utilized Google to come to this conclusion. If I brought this thread back from the dead; I did so with the intention of furthering the knowledge of others and of my own.

*edited for grammar
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

I wore my go fasters in the field. They were a pain in the ass, but they saved my eyes on several occasions. There were a few bubbas that went out and got surgery before RS in late '99. There was a big witch hunt. After graduation, they told a few to fess up to get some medical info on the future potential.

Guru - I live on 'Chickasaw' Drive. To this day, I see the streetsign and go chick-Chick-CHICKASAW!!!!
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
scubask
Tadpole

Post by scubask »

The Army fixed my eyes...less than a month later I was on the plane to OIF. Haven't had any vision problems other than dry eyes initially - I carried eye drops everywhere I went while I was overseas. My eyes had been stable for 5 years when I got the surgery.

Back when I got in line for the eye surgery I was under SF branch control and they allowed it but it would have been an instant disqualifier for HALO teams. I had it done at Ft. Lewis Madigan AMC. I knew this one SCUBA team leader that got PRK, compliments of the Army as well. SOF guys had priority to get the eye surgery done back then.

My advice is, let your eyes stabilize, and if the Army will let you have it, let the Army pay for it. Before the surgery both of my eyes were 20/100. Today my L eye is somewhere between 20/10 and 20/15, and my R eye is somewhere between 20/15 to 20/20. It is more sensitive to bright sunlight though, so all the money I would've spent on glasses went towards cool shades. Night vision has improved for me as well.

Again, it is not for everybody. Let the optometrist evaluate you and determine that for you. Especially a military optometrist since they don't have the money incentive to operate like civilian optometrists do. The regs on it change all the time, so check on that as well.
USMA 1996-2000
3/2 ID 2001-2003, 2005
3/1 SFG(A) 2003-2004
OIF 2004

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”