Importance of Preparation before Boot for RIP.

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Apollo
Tadpole

Importance of Preparation before Boot for RIP.

Post by Apollo »

I was thinking and browsing the forums today and I got to wondering. Is it really paramount to prepare for RIP before you have even hit boot? I mean shouldn't you be concentrating on maxing the APFT? Will being able to Max the APFT with ease be just as good preparation for RIP?
The reason I ask this is because I've heard some Rangers say that if you work hard enough it boot it will prepare you while others say work hard before hand because boot doesn't work you hard enough.
---Jon
Keep on keepin' on---Joe dirt

"Sometimes you need faith in a cause to believe in yourself."

Ranger DocDaigle is my mentor.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

You are thinking and not listening. So stop and just listen and heed. If down the road RIP pt is 10X's harder than boot and you never experienced tough P.T. how are you gonna do good? Bottom line is You Won't and failure is not an option. So if you are in top physical condition and can handle any P.T. thrown your way. The better you will be to handle other things that need immediate attention.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Why should I work hard now, when I can cruise?

Yeah, don't worry about it...I mean, it's only your shot to be a Ranger, right?
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Ranger BadMuther wrote:
Apollo wrote:I was thinking and browsing the forums today and I got to wondering. Is it really paramount to prepare for RIP before you have even hit boot? I mean shouldn't you be concentrating on maxing the APFT? Will being able to Max the APFT with ease be just as good preparation for RIP?
The reason I ask this is because I've heard some Rangers say that if you work hard enough it boot it will prepare you while others say work hard before hand because boot doesn't work you hard enough.
---Jon
Its not that I have a bad attitude, its that I am angry all the time

Ranger Desert Sloth and Ranger Bad Muther are both right. Ranger Desert Sloth has pointed out your laziness to search and Ranger Bad Muther has pointed out your lazy attitude. Now I have taken the liberty to underline a section of your signature which if you did indeed have such an attitude you would be hungry to channel your excess energy. Instead you want the easy way out. Don't go Ranger. We don't need crybabies, or lazy asses or liars. I am calling you a liar because you say you are angry all the time...I say bullshit. You have it down so it looks good but hearing what we hear from you we know you are only trying to fuck over us. Get lost Sonny.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Apollo
Tadpole

Post by Apollo »

Steadfast wrote:
Ranger BadMuther wrote:
Apollo wrote:I was thinking and browsing the forums today and I got to wondering. Is it really paramount to prepare for RIP before you have even hit boot? I mean shouldn't you be concentrating on maxing the APFT? Will being able to Max the APFT with ease be just as good preparation for RIP?
---Jon
Its not that I have a bad attitude, its that I am angry all the time

Ranger Desert Sloth and Ranger Bad Muther are both right. Ranger Desert Sloth has pointed out your laziness to search and Ranger Bad Muther has pointed out your lazy attitude. Now I have taken the liberty to underline a section of your signature which if you did indeed have such an attitude you would be hungry to channel your excess energy. Instead you want the easy way out. Don't go Ranger. We don't need crybabies, or lazy asses or liars. I am calling you a liar because you say you are angry all the time...I say bullshit. You have it down so it looks good but hearing what we hear from you we know you are only trying to fuck over us. Get lost Sonny.
I'm Sorry I Portrayed myself like that Ranger Steadfast, Thats not who I am. I was confused as to the level I needed to get myself up to. I don't have any face to face contact with any Rangers, so all I have is this board and a few 11B that I know. the 11B says don't worry about it the Army will prepare you for RIP while I've gotten mixed signals here. I'm not looking for the easy way out, I'm looking for the solution to my confusion. I'm thinking I shouldn't listen to that 11B anymore...
---Jon
Last edited by Apollo on April 25th, 2004, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Before the internet, you volunteered for the Army and Rangers. You didn't have much if any to go on. You showed up for Basic Training and put one foot in front of the other and, if you were not a quitter, graduated RIP and went to Ranger Battalion. It is my opinion that if your physical condition prior to going in, is at the very least of average athletic ability, then you will have no problems. While in Basic , for an example , you discover that your pushups suck then you will need to do extra work on them before you arrive at R.I.P. If you are a lazy, fat assed, Yahoo drinking slug who plays video games all day then you will want to get your ass out of the bed and PT yourself silly before going to Basic . If I am not mistaken they give you some material on P.T. when you get a contract. Consider that a minium standard. Most importantly, have confidence in yourself ! Please get rid of that gay signature. You are displaying the wrong attitude.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

The Army might prepare you for RIP, but why take the chance?

The level you need to get to......as high as fucking possible....usually only found by pushing yourself so hard you break something...which is obviously too far.....

If you are young, and in good shape, your mind will fail before your body.........Your body can do a lot more then your mind thinks.....

Never quit, and permanently destroy the little part of your mind that says...."I can't.".

Copy?
Apollo
Tadpole

Post by Apollo »

I understand Ranger Badmuther and Ranger FleshThorn
---Jon
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

BM brought up a very important point. Immaturity has ended more than one guys Ranger career. Plenty of guys have been in good shape physicaly, but were not mature enough to handle the enviroment of battalion. R.I.P. is suppose to be hard , but have confidence in your ability to meet the challenge! You do need to worry about it. If you gradute R.I.P. then the hard stuff starts. R.I.P. is just about the minium standards. There are no easy days in battalion and you don't always know when the day will be over.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

In my oppinion, OSUT gets you in decent shape. But if you don't have the heart and desire, you will not make it hrough RIP. I don't care how much of a stud you might be. They will try to weed the week minded and week hearted out. If you graduate, that still doesn't mean shit. Staying and surviving in the Regt. is the hardest part.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

I don't know about the other Rangers here but basic training got me out of shape. I was in very good shape going in and basic did nothing to improve it. So you need to be in better shape when you go in because basic will not prepare you for RIP as far as PT unless you are out of shape to start with. Runs in RIP start out as sprints and basically seem like they never slow up. You will not do a road march in basic that is comparable to RIP. You will do quite a bit more pushups in RIP than in basic.

I know it has been probably said a million times here but RIP is easier than staying in Batt. Everyday is a test and now that we are at war I would bet the pace is extremely fast because I know it was fast at "peace" time.

You can't do enough PT and if you think some 11B who has never done it knows then you are wrong.

Ranger2
Apollo
Tadpole

Post by Apollo »

Ranger2 wrote: You can't do enough PT and if you think some 11B who has never done it knows then you are wrong.

Ranger2
Ranger Ranger2,
I have in fact learned my lesson and am doing a workout program assigned by my mentor. I was thinking out of my ass that day.
---Jon

Return to “About Army Physical Training”