Military and Anosmia

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Flannel
Embryo

Military and Anosmia

Post by Flannel »

As I mentioned in my intro, I have a question about a..condition I have, for lack of a better word. I have congenital anosmia, which more or less means I was born without a sense of smell, or lost it sometime when I was really young. Apparently I ran into the corner of a wall when I was starting to walk/run, so that's a possibility.

I went to the doctors in my mid-teens, had a CAT Scan, they ran some tests, and the result was there's nothing wrong with me, I just can't smell. No family history or anything; "It just happens" was their answer.

It's got its drawbacks, but also has its plusses. Crawling through a pile of shit doesn't really bother me as much as it does others, but on the downside...I'm covered in shit, and wouldn't know unless someone told me, or I can see it. :?

Anyway, I was wondering if you know of any anosmic people in the military, and if that is somthing that I could realistically expect to get a waiver for, as it is a disqualifier. Also, from your experiences, would not being able to smell be a huge hindrance in being a Ranger?

Thank you all for any information you have on this subject.

-Joe
DJB
Ranger

Post by DJB »

Read the first sticky,

2–25. Nose, sinuses, and larynx
The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction are:
a. Allergic manifestations.
(1) Allergic or vasomotor rhinitis (477), if moderate or severe and not controlled by oral medications, desensitization,
or topical corticosteroid medication.
(2) Atrophic rhinitis (472).
(3) Vocal cord paralysis (478.3), or symptomatic disease of the larynx (478.7).
b. Anosmia or parosmia (352).

I have not met anyone in the military who admitted to being unable to smell. I think that all five of you senses are fairly important to survivability in combat and I wouldn’t want the guy who is pulling security for me to be without one. That being said, I have seen people get waivers for what I consider to be far more debilitating issues. That doesn’t mean they will let you kick doors. Knowing the army, they will make you a cook or NBC.
Aco1/75 Rgr 92-98, class 3/94, 300F1 5/95
Instructor Medical OBC, 99-00, 143rd LRSD (TXNG) 00-03.
Contractor Physician JBLM 2010-

Jihadists have no means by which to destroy the institutions of our society, while the Congressman does.

http://www.lifesharers.org/
Flannel
Embryo

Post by Flannel »

I went and talked to the recruiter today, and he said he had no idea and would check with someone and call me back Monday about it being waivable.

I guess I'm actually wrong when I call is anosmia, it's just a habit by now. I can't recall ever having been officially disgnosed with anything since it's never been a big deal to me and seemed like an unnecessary extra medical expense. I still have my "pain smelling" sensors (which I think you lose if you're anosmatic), and can taste fine. I just found out about somthing called Hyposmia, which seems like it's closer to what my symptons are(partial smelling loss), and that's not listed as a disqualifier, so in retrospect I might be ok.

For instance, I can't actually smell gasoline if I'm pumping it, but if someone held a can up to my face, I'd immediately know that it was gasoline, or ammonia, or something similar. I can also smell hard liquor if it's in front of me (i.e. a shot glass), but I couldn't tell if someone was "seeping alcohol from their pores" so to speak. Holding up a fresh pizza or pair of nasty ass socks wouldn't get any reaction though.

Anyway, I'll let you know what ends up happening here.
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

I developed the same condition in my late 20's (unable to smell) after a severe cold/flu that seemed to hang around for several months.

I became aware of the situation when I lived in El Paso before I went to MEPS. My Irish Wolfhound decided to pick up and toss around for several minutes a skunk he found on one of our long walks.

I thought it was odd that he did not get 'sprayed' until I got back into town and EVERYBODY let me know I had one VERY STINKY 200 lbs. dog.

My condition remained intact while I went thru basic and AIT, headed for the National Guard.

About a year later as I switched over to the Army and started BAS and RIP, my sense of smell had mostly returned and today is fully intact.

I was never tested or questioned about my sense of smell (or lack thereof) to my recolection during my tour and it got better almost daily, I found I could smell more and more each day.
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

It dosen't sound like you have complete anosmia, so you may not need a waiver. That would be something you would probabally deal with at MEPS. If they are have low recruiting/retention numbers, I'd be willing to bet this is somthing that gets turned a blind eye.

In any event, YOU have to decide for yourself if this is something you want to pursue. You have to ask yourself would you want someone on your team with this same condition who your life may depend on someday? I know a few cats who were Vietnam vets. From what I understand in a close contact/short visual distance situation like Jungle wafare, your sense of smell is relied on heavily.

As Ranger BustedKidney implied, there are a fuck-ton of non-combat MOS's to choose from. If you score high enough you can have any job you want. They have shit like TV Reporters (Yes, the Army will pay and train you to be Lou-fucking-Dobbs..) to mapmakers. Remember for every shooter, there are about 12 support troops making it possible to do his job, and the Regiment has slots for a handful of those. You can also get a fat retenion bonus depending on your MOS.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

One thing you must consider, and that is, do you want to be a soldier on the field of battle without the ability to smell?

Smell may save your life and the lack of it may get you and others killed.

Many things may happen, something burning or a chemical that you would have to react to FAST and don your mask…..

A non combat MOS would be the only way to ensure you and others would
be safe.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton

Return to “Medical Issues”