Got My Rating Today

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

Carlos
Tadpole

Got My Rating Today

Post by Carlos »

I was medically separated two years ago due to avascular necrosis (broken bone died due to lack of blood flow). I somehow managed to crack a small bone in my foot and didn't know it. After 4 years of self-medicating it with Motrin I had an MRI done. They wanted to replace the bone with a cadaver bone and then fuse my ankle - NO THANKS!

Anyways, I ended up getting 20% overall. But a big fat 0% for my dead broken bone. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. The 20% was for my knees, which actually don't give me many problems.

I guess I qualify for Vocational Rehab. Do I get to pick any type of program and they pay for it?
2/75 USAF JTAC
2000-2003
RS 2-00
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

There are only certain programs that qualify for Voc Rehab. and if you don't ask the VA just the right questions, they are very good at not giving you the answers that you're looking for. My advice to you is join the DAV, they seem to be the most willing to help. I was put out after 18 years (not retired) at 20% after breaking my neck, jaw, shoulder and hip on a jump. I still haven't figured out the Government math system, but I'm working on it. I'm up to 80% now, and they haven't counted the Degenerative Disc Disease that I got from all those years of thinking I was cool and beating myself up.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
Darksaga
Soldier

Re: Got My Rating Today

Post by Darksaga »

I agree. Get a good veterans service organization to advocate for you.

As for Voc Rehab... they will give you testing to determine your abilities, capabilities and interest's. Then you will have an interview with one of the counselors. DO NOT IMMEDIATELY AGREE WITH WHAT THEY OFFER!
Research the program they are talking about thoroughly. Find out the availability of jobs in the area and the general pay structure for those jobs. A good resource for that research is indeed.com

Voc Rehab can pay for any program that also accepts the GI Bill. The caveat is that is that you will use up your GI Bill entitlement first and then your Voc Rehab entitlement. If the program takes longer than the alloted amount of time then the time can be reinstated under certain circumstances.

Always remember that they will try to have you trained at the lowest entry level so find a profession where it would take a minimum of a bachelors degree. Better yet, if you are good at school, I would recommend finding a profession that requires a Master of Doctoral Degree.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"I might not be Airborne however, it's whats on my right sleave!"
*1992-1996 USMC CPL
* 12/2005- present USAR Medic PL/ Human Terrain Teams

Return to “Post Service Issues”