Should have went to batt when I had the chance...

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
AES750

Should have went to batt when I had the chance...

Post by AES750 »

Id like to say hey to the Ranger community and ask a few questions. Im currently at the 173rd ABN in Italy and want into Ranger batt, BAD. Ive been there since April, and my TIS is about 14 months. I thought the 173rd was going to still have LRS when I got there but they have disbanned and am not the most hi-speed motherfucker around but I expected a LOT more than what I've got. My question is can I do ANYTHING to go to any Ranger Batt? Once overseas you have to serve 2 years I think but I know some people who have went SF without being there 2 years and was thinking since Rangers are part of SOCOM that it might fall under the same guidelines, anyone know (kind of like selection)? Ive been told to just go to Ranger school and reenlist for it but Im using that as a last resort. After talkin to the guys that have been in a Ranger Battalion I should have taken the advantage when I was in ABN school, but I didn't and have regreted it since. Any info is appreciated.oh, GO COLTS.
Invictus
Ranger

Re: Should have went to batt when I had the chance...

Post by Invictus »

AES750 wrote: Ive been told to just go to Ranger school and reenlist for it but Im using that as a last resort.
Just out of curiousity, why would you reserve this as a last resort, if it was a viable option?
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Take advantage of being OCONUS & get the most out of the unit you're in.
It's better than legland (like I needed to say that), anyway, be the best paratrooper you can be & master the craft. Even the chickenshit, just get to be better at it than the next man.
Army regs cover the 'how to get to RIP/ROP.
Since you'll be an "import" spc or NCO when/if you arrive, you need to be better to be thought of as almost as good.
Everything you need to know about preparing for RIP is already in a forum hereabouts.
Now go PT & in between reps, learn the Ranger Handbook inside & out, forward & backward. More importantly, learn how to APPLY it, as well as the relevant FMs & weapon/radio TMs.
Last edited by K.Ingraham on January 26th, 2007, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

K.Ingraham wrote:Take advantage of being OCONUS & get the most out of the unit you're in.
It's better than legland (like I needed to say that), anyway, be the best paratrooper you can be & master the craft. Even the chickenshit, just get to be better at it than the next man.
Army regs cover the 'how to get to RIP/ROP.
Since you'll be an "import" spc or NCO when/if you arrive, you need to be better to be thought of as almost as good.
Everything you need to know about preparing for RIP is already in a forum hereabouts.
Now go PT.
What he said. And fuck the Colts. Manning's a whiney little bitch.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Funny I personally know 2 guys that were in the "Herd" one is a bad motherfucker.. the other is a pussy! :lol:

Don't want to hijack this thread so a reply is not necessary admin removed name! :wink:
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
AES750

Post by AES750 »

Invictus wrote:
AES750 wrote: Ive been told to just go to Ranger school and reenlist for it but Im using that as a last resort.
Just out of curiousity, why would you reserve this as a last resort, if it was a viable option?
It was a last resort because it takes the longest, my reenlistment window isnt going to be here before deployment and I was looking for a quicker way in. If I have to get my tab and then go so be it. I was just seeing if there was a way to go now.
and McD there are a lot of good people there, i didnt say there wasnt I was just thinking it would be different.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

You need to get an avatar.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
EAT III
Ranger

Post by EAT III »

I'm sure I'm late but his Avatar is GTG.
Look Chief,just because the LRS is gone dosent mean you cant go for the Gusto.GO SNIPER,GO SCOUT,there a a lot of things you can do to Hone your Skills.What ever it is Be the Best.It will go a Long Way.
RLTW!
A/1/75 86-88
RS 10-86
612th (AD)(Heavy Drop) 83-86
Lrsd 25th ID 88-90
151Inf Det (LRS)(ABN) current
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

How about this drippy dick! Why don't you try and do your job as an Airborne Infantryman, before you go all highspeed. I think the reason for your change of heart might have something to do with an imminent deployment.

I shouldn't have been so harsh, send me your name and rank and I'll square you away.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

EAT III wrote:I'm sure I'm late but his Avatar is GTG.
Actually the avatar he has is way to large (bet no one has ever said that to him before).
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
EAT III
Ranger

Post by EAT III »

Silverback wrote:
EAT III wrote:I'm sure I'm late but his Avatar is GTG.
Actually the avatar he has is way to large (bet no one has ever said that to him before).
Now Thats Funny!
RLTW!
A/1/75 86-88
RS 10-86
612th (AD)(Heavy Drop) 83-86
Lrsd 25th ID 88-90
151Inf Det (LRS)(ABN) current
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

AES750 wrote:
Invictus wrote:
It was a last resort because it takes the longest, my reenlistment window isnt going to be here before deployment and I was looking for a quicker way in. If I have to get my tab and then go so be it. I was just seeing if there was a way to go now.
and McD there are a lot of good people there, i didnt say there wasnt I was just thinking it would be different.

I wasn't saying anything bad about the 173rd nor would I say anything bad about anyone serving our country. My comment was a sarcastic dig at one of our members here.
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

McD wrote:Funny I personally know 2 guys that were in the "Herd" one is a bad motherfucker.. the other is a pussy! :lol:

Don't want to hijack this thread so a reply is not necessary admin removed name ! :wink:
Since there are only two of us.....I think you just called the admin removed name a PUSSY! :shock:
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”