Staph germ causes quick, deadly pneumonia

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Drug-resistant infection can kill in 72 hours, researchers say

REUTERS
Updated: 4:33 p.m. ET Jan 18, 2007

WASHINGTON - A nasty staph germ circulating in the community and some hospitals produces a poison that can kill pneumonia patients within 72 hours, researchers said Thursday.

Staphylococcus aureus bacteria — Staph for short — can pass one another the gene for the toxin and are apparently swapping it more often, the researchers report in Friday’s issue of the journal Science.

The toxin, called Panton Valentine leukocidin or PVL, can itself cause pneumonia and can kill healthy tissue.

Luckily, people infected with the bacteria quickly develop a high fever and astute doctors can identify it, said Gabriela Bowden of the Texas A&M Health Science Center in Houston, who led the study.

“This is a scary situation. We are trying to put the word out and to educate people about it,â€
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
bmf175
Ranger

Post by bmf175 »

Why are these Docs acting soo surprised? We have known about Staph aureus for ALONG time. MRSA isnt exactly new.... turkey heads
C Co & HHC 1/75
1997-2005
RS Class 02-00

Rangers
Monsoon and cmurder
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

My father was rushed to the hospital on Christmas Eve with a 105 fever, turns out he had pneumonia, it almost killed him, he lost almost 25 pounds in a week, and is still on 24 hr. oxygen.

He's a tough old bastard, pro-boxer, Navy Vet and 36 yr. LEO (Retired).

This is what hit him. :evil:
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

I hope your Dad recovers Cams.

This is why I put this up cause it strikes so fast. A reason for those not to delay treatment should they get a high fever. "Cause we all think we gonna live forever and just suck it up.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
289sotherhalf
Supreme Goddess of Drive On/Moderator

Post by 289sotherhalf »

Ranger Cams, we wish your father the best, as he fights this infection. He is in our thoughts and prayers.

MRSA is certainly a dangerous bug, we know. My youngest brother's father acquired MRSA through a surgery, and it took him 3 years to beat it.
Cliv03 wrote:Cams, I too hope your father wins this battle.
The rate of mutation for this infection is alarming. I read the report about this topic and was wondering if this staph is the same strain as Necrosis or the "flesh eating bacterium?"
Ranger Cliv03, are you talking about Necrotizing Faciitis?
***Edited to correct myself***
According to this research, nearly 100% of strains of CA-MRSA contain the PVL gene, http://www.unc.edu/depts/spice/WisconsinCAMRSAGuide.pdf , and CA-MRSA can rarely cause Necrotizing Faciitis, http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/pdf/ar/C ... tegies.pdf and http://www.infectiousdiseasenews.com/20 ... e=mrsa.asp .

If this is the case, that is pretty scary. I was under the impression that it was primarily caused by Streptococcus pyogenes or Group A Strep, but not S. aureus.
~Ranger Wife~

"Love your enemies...it pisses them off!"

"Be careful whose toes you step on today because they might be connected to the foot that kicks your ass tomorrow."

"Behind every damsel is a fire breathing dragon."
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

cams wrote:My father was rushed to the hospital on Christmas Eve with a 105 fever, turns out he had pneumonia, it almost killed him, he lost almost 25 pounds in a week, and is still on 24 hr. oxygen.

He's a tough old bastard, pro-boxer, Navy Vet and 36 yr. LEO (Retired).

This is what hit him. :evil:
Damn. I hope he has a speedy recovery.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
289sotherhalf
Supreme Goddess of Drive On/Moderator

Post by 289sotherhalf »

Cliv03 wrote:289sotherhalf, thanks for the clarification. It seems as though these "superbugs" are becoming more and more prevalent. With all of our strength and technology, it is scary to know that something so minuscule can damage or destroy so easily.
Yes it is unnerving, Ranger Cliv03. It is happening so quickly, it's such a challenge to keep up.

Just about 6 months ago, I asked a Microbiology instructor if it was possible for MRSA to cause the flesh eating virus, because I had heard it did. He said it could not, that it was a misconception, and that it only caused infections that mimic it. He said that Group A Strep was the main culprit. Now finding out that it can be caused by MRSA, however rarely it happens, definitely makes me think more about the voraciousness of these bacteria, their ability to mutate, and our ability to adapt to those mutations.
~Ranger Wife~

"Love your enemies...it pisses them off!"

"Be careful whose toes you step on today because they might be connected to the foot that kicks your ass tomorrow."

"Behind every damsel is a fire breathing dragon."
Scoty
Ranger

Post by Scoty »

Cliv03 wrote:(This may be getting off topic, but I would like to know) Isn't Group A Strep quite common? I may be mistaken, but I thought that Group A Strep is one of the many bacteria that we carry on the skin surface. And the horror stories are usually when something "triggers" this bacteria and it becomes aggressive.
Many of these are normal flora (stnadard issue bacteria). Also many of them are considered opportinistic, meaning they are happy where they are (skin, mucal lining, IG tract, ect) until the opportunity presents itself(severe injury, sickness, etc) where they can have more fun and wreak havok on your body. Staph is one of these.

I hear my Lab-Rat 6 talking about this on occasion.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

My father is home from the hospital, still on O2 prolly for a couple months til his lungs get stronger, but he's eating again and back to watching his westerns and eating cereal every night about 2300 before bed. He cracks me up.

I knew he was a tough old bastard, I'm very proud of him.

Thanks for the thoughts you guys. I'm sure it helped him. :wink:
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

cams wrote:My father is home from the hospital, still on O2 prolly for a couple months til his lungs get stronger, but he's eating again and back to watching his westerns and eating cereal every night about 2300 before bed. He cracks me up.

I knew he was a tough old bastard, I'm very proud of him.

Thanks for the thoughts you guys. I'm sure it helped him. :wink:
That's damn good news.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

We have this here too. The main prevention for common folks is to ensure they wash their hands frequently. Especially after handling money or shaking hands with someone that you don't think is very healthy.

Hygene is the best way.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton

Return to “Medical Issues”