Oh Shit!

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
GoardHeart
Ranger

Oh Shit!

Post by GoardHeart »

So everyone's favorite 'Cherry LT' (yours truly) did something stupid. He stuck his boots in the dishwasher to try and soften them up, and it worked great. But he forgot to take the insoles out after he took them out of the dishwasher and now there is a whole lot of mold and mildew in the bottom. How do I get all that shit out? And make sure that it doesn't come back?
RS 05-07
1st ID 1-26 IN 9/07-09/09
3d U.S. Inf Regt 10/09-Present

OEF IX - Korengal Valley
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

I used a mixture of bleach and amonia to take it off the outside of my house or in the shower.

DO NOT BREATH IT!!!!!!!!!!! It will knock you on your ass, Sir!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Horned Toad
Ranger

Re: Oh Shit!

Post by Horned Toad »

GoardHeart wrote:So everyone's favorite 'Cherry LT' (yours truly) did something stupid. He stuck his boots in the dishwasher to try and soften them up, and it worked great. But he forgot to take the insoles out after he took them out of the dishwasher and now there is a whole lot of mold and mildew in the bottom. How do I get all that shit out? And make sure that it doesn't come back?
Next time try toughening your feet not softening your boots; beat your face for a needless attack on a helpless pair of boots

-1000 Ranger points for you, that probably puts you like a zillion in the hole now
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Lost_Jock
Tadpole

Post by Lost_Jock »

In the dishwasher?

That's a new one on me, I thought I'd heard them all.

Are you sure it's mold and not just little pieces of brocolli?
And when I had opened the fourth beer, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, Come and see.

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and her that sat on him was the wife, and Hell followed with her......
Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

I used to soften my boots at the same time I was toughening up my feet Sir.....lace em' up and hit the tarmac......the dishwasher?.....for Gods sake Sir! :lol:
Perhaps some mild bleach water and sunlight might sort those insoles out...next time just go old school on em'.....it really works. :wink:
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
"Cry Havoc Let Slip The Dogs of War"
1st SPWAR Tng Bn (Abn) USAJFKSWCS 87'
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
GoardHeart
Ranger

Post by GoardHeart »

I'd say that my feet are pretty tough, I have been very lucky when it comes to my feet, unlike some of my peers. Very rarely I will get a blister but it's usually really small and nothing a piece of athletic tape won't fix. I guess all those years of lifeguarding and walking around barefoot on concrete helped, the bottom of my foot is one big callus. As for the dishwasher thing, I was trying to break in a new pair of boots really fast since I start Ranger School on Sunday, and you need to have one very specific pair of boots (which I didn't have). And Ranger Horned Toad I think I'm in the negative trillion by now.
RS 05-07
1st ID 1-26 IN 9/07-09/09
3d U.S. Inf Regt 10/09-Present

OEF IX - Korengal Valley
Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

Well Sir, it's a drag to have to take a new pair down there (you might try saddlesoap tho').....when I went thru the course we pt'd in boots and so I took this really almost worn out pair from OSUT that I had and they worked great......at any rate good luck and go get your shit!
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
"Cry Havoc Let Slip The Dogs of War"
1st SPWAR Tng Bn (Abn) USAJFKSWCS 87'
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

needsfoot oil (sic) will soften the leather. however, if they are black, they will NEVER polish up right. shouldn't be a big deal in the Suck. don't know how it works on rough side out tan...

I'd go with a bleech combo to clean 'em.

and no, they weren't mine. had a buddy do it right before he started WOCS with me, and they wanted us to spit shine 'em. it took him 5 weeks of no shit hard and long work to make them look well brush shined.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

RangerRon wrote:I used a mixture of bleach and amonia to take it off the outside of my house or in the shower.

Or worse.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

RangerX wrote:
RangerRon wrote:I used a mixture of bleach and amonia to take it off the outside of my house or in the shower.

Or worse.
Yes Ranger X you are very correct. A paint store gave me the mixture and it was very weak and mixed in water. But you do want to be very careful, but man did it get rid of the mildew.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

A bleach dilution by itself should work to remove the mildew.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

boots

Post by Guest »

They give you boots to wear,wow Ranger school has gotten soft. :(
Horned Toad
Ranger

Re: boots

Post by Horned Toad »

Ranger Why wrote:They give you boots to wear,wow Ranger school has gotten soft. :(

yep I hate to break it to ya but the days of muskets, tomahawks and moccasins are over :cry:
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92

Return to “Personal Gear”