Airborne Pullups

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Taz Medic
Egg

Airborne Pullups

Post by Taz Medic »

I was just wondering...is there a pullup requirement for airborne school? Some of the others in my bay say they have heard that 6 is the requirement. I have looked all over and have seen nothing. Drill seargents have told me that I will do alot of them, but no specific answer. I would like to clear the confusion. Thanks guys, you have always been a help!
Freed Y
Tadpole

Post by Freed Y »

Pull ups are with palms facing towards you right? If they are then that shouldnt be too hard.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Unless things have changed, chin-ups are done with the palms facing you. Pull-ups are done with the palms facing away. I don't recall anything about 6 being the limit....we had to do more than that before and after each meal and formation.
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Freed Y
Tadpole

Post by Freed Y »

Really? Whenever I lift with my wrestling team, my coach always has us do sets of chin-ups and we do it with palms facing away... I've never been to Ranger School so what do you do there? Palms in or palms out?
Rgr_MindRiot

Post by Rgr_MindRiot »

Like Devon used to say "Both".
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

It hardly matters whether you have your palms towards you or away from you. What matters is the purpose of the pull up/chin up. It's to insure that you are capable of pulling a one or two riser slip to control your direction of descent or attitude to the ground prior to landing. So yes, pullups and/or chin ups are an important part of the course and if you are worried about how many you are supposed to be able to do the only response I'll have is 'work on it!'
Morris0352
Ranger

Post by Morris0352 »

aaa
Last edited by Morris0352 on February 18th, 2009, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikelogics
Tadpole

Post by mikelogics »

The pullup, I believe, is the most important upper body exercise for soldiers. It's the best exercise for your back.It's application goes beyond the Airborne. You need concentric force to snatch/lift heavy objects, climb mountains, etc.

If you can't do a single pull/chin up, you can do negatives or assisted pullups first. Train with pullups to DO pullups. Of course, your weight may be a limiting factor.

Actually, the difference between a pull up and a chin up is more than the positions of the palms.

Chin ups isolate the biceps, while pull ups shares the workload with your lats, deltoids and biceps.

Good luck!
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Going back to the actual question, there is no required amount of pull-ups to be done to be in airborne school. You will, however, be called a pathetic turd if you cannot complete them for morning PT or coming back from chow/leaveing the area. Ten pull-ups, partner assisted if needed.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
RLK
Embryo

Post by RLK »

You'll do 10 every time you enter the pit for PT however, pull-ups (or whatever you call them) are no longer required as part of the ABN PFT. Now you're stopped when you've completed the minimum performance standard in PU's & SU's for the 17-21 age group and aren't even given a run time, but sent to one side of the track if you come in under time or sent to the other side if you go over. Instead of "pull-ups" (whatever) you'll perform the flexed arm hang. Basically you execute a pull-up and hold it for 10 seconds then lower your body in a controlled manner. You don't pass the diagnostic PT test and your ass'll be sent packing that day.
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

I wouldn't sweat it. 90 pound females make it thru the school, so if your a man and can't handle the physical requirements of Airborne School (i.e. running, push-ups, piull-ups, etc.), then you should probably just go ahead and shoot yourself. Saves everyone alot of time.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
PaleHorseRider
Tadpole

Post by PaleHorseRider »

something interesting while i'm here on hold-over...A co 1/507 started a cycle today, and lost 57 people already....1st f'n day. a few quit but most are being recycled because they couldnt passs the minimum standard for the PT test they took today.

Return to “About Army Physical Training”