Cultural revolutionary, the iPod is five

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

RTO
BANNED

Cultural revolutionary, the iPod is five

Post by RTO »

Just five years ago today, Apple introduced the first-generation 5GB iPod with the slogan, "a thousand songs in your pocket."

The diminutive device was about the size of a cigarette packet, and weighed just six ounces. And packed a punch well above its weight.

According to Apple CEO Steve Jobs at the time: "With iPod, Apple has invented a whole new category of digital music player that lets you put your entire music collection in your pocket and listen to it wherever you go. With iPod, listening to music will never be the same again.â€
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

So......who's got an iPod, and who doesn't? And why.....? :D
ma91c1an
Triple Canopy

Post by ma91c1an »

I bought the first 40GB model back in 2003, and rarely go anywhere without it. I do not use it while walking around, I am too paranoid, but if I am in a plane, I jack in.

It is now 3 years old, a long time for any piece of technology, but it handles more than 20GB in music just fine. I replaced the battery a few months ago. It was cheap.

I use iTunes to buy sitcoms and hockey games. I watch them on my Mac. I am waiting for a "true" video iPod before I buy my next one.
-------
Classes 12, 13, and 14-81.
Company A, 2d Battalion (Ranger), 1st Platoon, "Bad 'Muthers," 1980-1984;
SFQC 4-84.
Company B, 2d Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), ODA 151, 1984-1986.
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

I don't do a whole lot with computers, but if I feel the need to be entertained I'll just bust out the lap top. An Ipod just seems like one more thing to carry around with me.

But if the Magic Man has one, maybe there is a lesson I need to learn. I bet women love them....
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

I don't have one. Instead, I have a Palm Life Drive, it has 4gb of internal storage and a SD slot. The 4gb works fine for me, plus I have all the features of the PDA in addition to just playing music and videos.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Tater Nuts wrote::oops: I dont even have a walkman :oops:
I bet you have a Geiger counter. 8)
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

I have the 40gb (larger unit, non-color) iPod. It's somewhat redundant, as my phone (Motorola Q), and PDA (iPAQ) all can play songs, podcasts, etc..

I usually tote the iPod when I'm running or biking and even when mowing the lawn. It's dated now, as its about 2 years old.

I have around 12000 songs, podcasts and audible books on it at this time.
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
Tirehouse
Ranger

Post by Tirehouse »

No ipod here, though my daughter just got one for her birthday...fucken ex-wife....
TFR Somalia
Kosovo KFOR3A, Iraq 2003-4 OIF 1, 08-10
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

I've been picking up MP3 players as they've come out.

Two of them are by Creative Labs and still work (a Nomad Zen and some USB keychain one)
One was by Rio and was a heat casualty in Iraq
The newest one is a 4th gen ipod that I got because no one makes an car radio interface for the Zen.

Not sure if I like my ipod better than my Zen or not. The ipod's prettier, but my Zen survived Iraq and kept the tunes pumping while waiting for convoy briefings and at the gym. It also packs an extra 40GB over my 20GB ipod.

Eh, they're both great players.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Had the 3rd generation, 20GB IPod, which I thought was a tad bulky. Too bad it was stolen, so I went out and bought a 2GB Nano, which I love. It is better across the board.

And yes, I own a Mac also and believe in Apple as the devine hard/soft ware company. :lol:
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

I'd love to have one, but it's not really in the budget.

Buddy of mine had one and it was pretty sweet. I intend to have one as soon as I can afford the price tag.
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Not me. I have a Muvo NX 256 MB Thumb drive MP3 player. No proprietary song format, no special software. Just plug it in and load on whatever I feel like listening to for the next 4 hours.

I have somewhere in the the region of 65,000 MP3s, totaling in the region of 310 GB.

One thing for you iPod users, get different earbuds. When a thief sees the white earbuds, they know you have a nice expensive iPod vs. a cheap POS thumbdrive MP3 player.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

The iPod, as it is now, will be a dinosaur soon. The technology is leading us to a single device, which exists in prototype forms, with all entertainment, news and information, data, and communication functions. It will be operated by thought and will be implanted in our bodies. I hope I am dead by then.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group

Return to “The Mosh Pit”