Looking for head lamp suggestions.

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

The one I had was not a Petzl but that one looks like a good choice to me if I were to get another one. With any small light, the main criteria after meeting the primary task is to use common batteries such as AAA or AA, as opposed to watch batteries. I 've seen a few out there that use watch or uncommon batteries and they're a waste of space as soon as the first set of batteries wears down. Mainly because when they do run out, you'll find yourself at the end of whatever supply chain ends at your location, and you can't resupply yourself.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

Petzl's are good. bout as good as you can get. I've got two. make sure it has a pivot/swivel to adjust it up and down. most of the newer Petzl's do. it's nice to have. they run 3 AAA and last forever. I assume the Taktica has white/red/single, or something like that. it'd be the way to go. mine are older, and white, one has a red filter on it.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

I carrried one in Iraq and used it CONTINUOUSLY. Get a tactikka and don't worry about the lens color. If you need a flashlight you need all the light you can get. Otherise just use your night vision.

I have two now. Any of them are great. I wish they had them when I was a cherry. Damned headlamp and a pocket knife... I could practically take over the world with that shit...

You guys DO realize the PETZL's are made by the French, right? Don't believe me? Go look at the website.

http://en.petzl.com/petzl/Accueil
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
Dando175
Ranger

Post by Dando175 »

I use a Tactikka Plus. I've been really happy with it- good battery life, suprisingly powerful flood beam when on high, the red flip-down lens is awesome for looking for something quickly without ruining your night vision (not to mention staying tactical, but as a civillian I'm not supposed to care about that anymore...). The XP looks pretty fancy, I can't say if it's better but it might be.

Whatever you decide, Petzl's a good brand. I've purchased three of their headlamps in the past and they're still in great shape.
CPT, USAF Medical Service Corps
A Co. 1/75 99-02
Class 9-01

Return to “Personal Gear”