Right Shoulder Patch

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Silverback
Ranger

Re: Right Shoulder Patch

Post by Silverback »

Der Professor wrote:This past weekend I was in Boston, and went to a local town festival. There was a NG MP wearing the Special Forces Arrowhead with lightning bolts and Airborne tab on his right shoulder. I noticed he wasn't wearing jump wings and had some NG patch on his left.

Being curious I asked him which SF group he was with and when he went through the Q-course. His response floored me. He informed me that he infact had not attended the Q-course, but was attached to 3rd Group in Afghanistan. Shocked, I told I had never heard of anything like that before. He was polite and said he wouldn't wear it unless he had earned it.

Is this right? Are non-Sf personnel wearing SF combat patches? So if a female cook is attached to a Ranger BN she can wear a BN scroll on her right shoulder?

This reminds me of the yahoos running around Bragg, pregnant on profile wearing a green beret! WTFO?
Worse than pregnant females...Ranger Instructors that did a 3-month augmentation in Afghanistan are wearing the Shoulder Sleeve Insignia–Former Wartime Service (SSI–FWTS)

Appendix F
Shoulder Sleeve Insignia–Former Wartime Service (SSI–FWTS)
F–1. Applicability.
This guidance applies to soldiers of all components (Active, ARNG and USAR) that deploy during periods of service designated for wear of the SSI–FWTS, in accordance with paragraph 28–17.

F–2. General.
a. There is no time-in-theater requirement to be authorized to wear the SSI–FWTS.

b. A deployed unit that is authorized to wear an SSI in its own right (or an organic component thereof), in accordance with para 28–16, will wear that unit’s SSI as the SSI–FWTS. This is true regardless of whether the
headquarters element deploys, and regardless of the number of changes to the unit’s alignment or operational control (OPCON) during the period of deployment.

c. When a unit not entitled to its own SSI deploys, the OPCON relationship prior to deployment is terminated, and a new OPCON relationship is established. Members of these units will wear the SSI of the lowest echelon deployed unit entitled to an SSI in each of their new deployed chains of command as their SSI–FWTS.

d. When there is no intermediate unit that has its own SSI in the deployed chain of command, members of units not entitled to their own SSI will wear the SSI of the senior Army command in the theater as their SSI–FWTS.

e. Soldiers who are cross-leveled, assigned, attached, or augmenting deployed units, and soldiers who are TDY on orders through the use of DD Form 1610 (Request and Authorization for TDY Travel of DOD Personnel) will wear the same SSI–FWTS worn by members of the deployed unit(s) to which attached or OPCON. This does not apply to
members of Trial Defense and CIDC, who will wear the SSI of their respective commands as their SSI–FWTS.

f. Soldiers authorized to wear more than one SSI–FWTS may choose which SSI–FWTS they wear. Soldiers also may elect not to wear the SSI–FWTS.

g. Precedence was established in Vietnam for elements organic to, or an integral part of an organization to wear the organizational SSI as their SSI–FWTS.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
23LRS
US Army Veteran

Post by 23LRS »

I have a leg E-6 in my platoon that wears the SF combat patch too. I was wondering why the heck he was wearing it, that makes sense now. He is also sans tabs of any sort.
Riamh Nar dhruid O sbairn lan
(Never Retreat From The Clash of Spears)

9ID LRS 90-91
I CORPS LRS 91-93
A CO. 1/509 PIR 93-97
75TH RRA member

Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
who trains my hands for war,
my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144:1
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

23LRS wrote:I have a leg E-6 in my platoon that wears the SF combat patch too. I was wondering why the heck he was wearing it, that makes sense now. He is also sans tabs of any sort.
He's a Staff Sergeant not an E6. He get's paid as an E6
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Silverback wrote:
23LRS wrote:I have a leg E-6 in my platoon that wears the SF combat patch too. I was wondering why the heck he was wearing it, that makes sense now. He is also sans tabs of any sort.
I think I was one of those!!!! (rank = Staff Sergeant, pay grade = E-6)
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

RangerRon wrote:I think I was one of those!!!! (rank = Staff Sergeant, pay grade = E-6)
Ron,
The Responsibility and authority that come with the Rank of Sergeant, Staff Sergeant, Sergeant First Class, Master Sergeant, First Sergeant and Sergeant Major should never be confused with a pay grade. We don't refer to Officers by their Pay Grades and we should not refer to each other by our Pay Grades.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Silverback wrote:
RangerRon wrote:I think I was one of those!!!! (rank = Staff Sergeant, pay grade = E-6)
Ron,
The Responsibility and authority that come with the Rank of Sergeant, Staff Sergeant, Sergeant First Class, Master Sergeant, First Sergeant and Sergeant Major should never be confused with a pay grade. We don't refer to Officers by their Pay Grades and we should not refer to each other by our Pay Grades.
Oh I agree 100 % SB. I appreciate your post very much. Part of paying attention to details and the respect that those who have earned those ranks deserve.
- Shakespeare

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

23LRS
US Army Veteran

Post by 23LRS »

Silverback wrote:
I am Sorry for any disrespect, there was none intended, I have my feet elevated!
Riamh Nar dhruid O sbairn lan
(Never Retreat From The Clash of Spears)

9ID LRS 90-91
I CORPS LRS 91-93
A CO. 1/509 PIR 93-97
75TH RRA member

Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
who trains my hands for war,
my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144:1
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Buncha post-whores. :roll:
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Spartan wrote:Buncha post-whores. :roll:
Hey, go back to sleep Ranger Spartan and leave us ho's alone!
- Shakespeare

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Spartan wrote:Buncha post-whores. :roll:
Get down.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
rgrjoe175
Tadpole

Post by rgrjoe175 »

Silverback wrote: He's a Staff Sergeant not an E6. He get's paid as an E6
Spoken like a true E-8. :lol: I think we found a way to fook with the great ape... :D Actually I still cringe when people call a First Sergeant "Top".... Hell I am civilian and I will never do that.

On a serious note... I dont get the attached part. Why wouldn't they wear the patch of the unit assigned? Other than that being a fooked up reg.

JP
1/75 80-83
Class 6-81
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Sapper Mike wrote:(Mods, I am unsure whether the following is an OPSEC violation. But I have pride in the Tiger Bn, and if it's allowed, I'd like to state it).
OPSEC? I couldn't even understand what you said.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"

Return to “The Mosh Pit”