Ranger LRRP Gear

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

BadMuther wrote:Ranger Slowpoke, would you mind sharing what you carried on your lbe and on your person?

Ranger Steadfast, why did you never use suspenders on your LBE belt? Just didn't like them?
Being that I was so skinny 145 lb and tall 6'2". Anything besides my ruck straps hurt my shoulders. My hip bones protruded and I found it very comfortable having my LBE resting on my hips. My M-16 strap was also on my shoulder. I had full range field of fire with my rifle. I found I had greater mobility without the LBE straps.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Gotcha, just seemed like a whole lot of weight w/out any support. I've noticed in some of my books that a lot of VN LRRP/Rangers didn't wear suspenders either.

Thank you for sharing!
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

"145 lb and tall 6'2"."........................If I weighed that little, I would be dead. :shock:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

I had two ammo pouches with three smoke grenades and a cs grenade attached to the sides (one on each side of the ammo pouchs) you can see them in our Team pic, a third ammo pouch with four frags inside, two canteens of water, one frag on each LBE harness strap about chest high,a curais (sp?) that bent Gurkha knife (if you've seen one, you know what I'm talking about), a Walther PPK in a holster attached to the inside of the left harness (suspender) strap at the bottom of my ribcage (I didn't have it yet in the Team pic, that was our first mission) which I never used on a mission. That's about all I can remember, but it seams like I'm leaving something out.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Kukri...... :wink:

How many mags did you carry?
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

BadMuther wrote:Kukri...... :wink:

How many mags did you carry?
Well Playboy was a favorite, Mechanic, Field and Stream. Other smutty titles not known. :lol: :lol: :lol:
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Quick deployable? Did you laminate them? :wink:
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

naaaan, left them in rear, they always disappeared. I think they were printed using disappearing ink. :shock: It was safer to have beer around that girlly photo's. It was very difficult to hide a boner down in the shitter. :shock:
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Steadfast wrote:naaaan, left them in rear, they always disappeared. I think they were printed using disappearing ink. :shock: It was safer to have beer around that girlly photo's. It was very difficult to hide a boner down in the shitter. :shock:
hhhheheheeee....
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Terry Welshan wrote:Read something (i think in John Plasters, SOG) about a team putting a nude oriental pinup on a tree on a high speed trail with a toe popper in front of it, anyone else read that?
I do remember that Terry....I believe it was in SOG....
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

BadMuther wrote:
Terry Welshan wrote:Read something (i think in John Plasters, SOG) about a team putting a nude oriental pinup on a tree on a high speed trail with a toe popper in front of it, anyone else read that?
Did you guys know that the Vietnamese believed that if they didn't have all the parts of their body they wouldn't get to Vietnamese heaven? That is what started the G.I.'s cutting off the enemies ears and pinkies. To fuck them in death. :shock: :twisted:
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

BadMuther wrote:
The best I liked in S.O.G. was they made a song and added the names of those that died so they would always be remembered. I sure wish we had tought of that too.

Whenever we got intel to go to a specific area sometimes blanket by 5 or more teams side by side. Using this method one of the teams was bound to run into the enemy through their AO. I used to wonder how the upper echelon got their intel for us to be there. I used to wonder who the fuck is out there we don't know about. The "we" being us conducting the missions. We just went where we were told to go. That is what soldiers do! After I read S.O.G. I finally found out who was out there. Those few brave souls. :shock:
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Steadfast wrote:
BadMuther wrote:
The best I liked in S.O.G. was they made a song and added the names of those that died so they would always be remembered. I sure wish we had tought of that too.

Whenever we got intel to go to a specific area sometimes blanket by 5 or more teams side by side. Using this method one of the teams was bound to run into the enemy through their AO. I used to wonder how the upper echelon got their intel for us to be there. I used to wonder who the fuck is out there we don't know about. The "we" being us conducting the missions. We just went where we were told to go. That is what soldiers do! After I read S.O.G. I finally found out who was out there. Those few brave souls. :shock:
I read that in SOG, also. Like you, Brother Steadfast, I always wondered where in the hell they were getting all this info they wanted us to "go check out."

To answer your question Ranger Badmuther, I think we carried five mags (19 rounds each) in each ammo pouch on my LBE, plus I had the two canteen pouches in my ruck. If I remember right, I could get seven or eight mags per canteen pouch. and the mag in my M16, of course. Like Ranger Steadfast said, this was a pretty much generic load. If I was going out on a Heavy Team, I removed all the water and food from my ruck, and replaced it with two more canteen pouches of M16 mags, and maybe another claymore or two. Heavy Team missions were usually very short affairs. Maybe one and a half or two days of ambush, move, ambush, move, so we didn't need extra water or food. I just relied on my beef jerky. To this day, I can't eat beef jerky without getting nervous :shock:
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Gracias!......5 mags on the lbe doesn't seems like very much.....I remember reading about some teams carrying 12-20 on the LBE.

Return to “Personal Gear”