Airborne slots.

Ground Week, Tower Week, Jump Week.
El Dave
Embryo

Airborne slots.

Post by El Dave »

Either I am retarded or just unlucky, despite two trips to meps (Also pestering the career councilor) and consistent pestering of my recruiter and the senior recruiter at the station I was unable to get an Airborne slot in my contract.

I ship on the 13th to Fort Sill as a 97E (Humint collector) and have been told that it is possible to re-negotiate your contract in reception or during BCT. This portion of a current MILPER message would seem to reflect this:

"HE AIRBORNE BONUS IS AVAILABLE FOR THE FOLLOWING MOS; 25B,25U,42A,88M,92A,92G,92Y,96B,97E AND ALL OPTION 40 MOS. THIS BONUS IS ALSO AVAILABLE TO SOLDIERS IN ABOVE MOS THAT RENEGOTIATE THEIR CONTRACTS WHILE IN BT,AIT, OR OSUT TO ADD AIRBORNE TRAINING AND AN AIRBORNE ASSIGNMENT."

Now obviously this message is just referencing the bonus (That part I can care less about, I just want to go Airborne); given the MOS list it would seem that these are MOSes that need Airborne qualified Soldiers and would seem that I have a decent chance of being able to accomplish this based on that fact.

It's my fault for blowing it and not securing the slot when I signed my contract. The way I currently see it is that I have two more opportunities to volunteer (BCT and AIT) before I get to my first unit. Any opinions on my chances here? I accept the fact that I failed myself and will live with the consequences of not getting the slot in the event that I don't succeed here.[/b]
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

What opinion do you need? You didn't get it in your contract, so you have just as good a chance as anyone else of getting a slot. I cannot even count the number of DEPs that have asked this question....
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
El Dave
Embryo

Post by El Dave »

Ranger Silverback,

I was more or less curious at the general process for volunteering or renegotiating in basic or AIT. Secondly I was really just wondering what the assessment (By someone who knows about the process) of my overall chances were at succeeding in that endeavor are, or if I've flat out fucked myself in that regard by not getting it in my contract.

Either way it goes in the end I'm happy to finally be able to fulfill my desire to serve in the United States Army. It's something that I've wanted to do since I was a child, I'm 23 now.

Return to “About Airborne School”