Question Using the Title "Ranger"

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
christopherjshim
Embryo

Question Using the Title "Ranger"

Post by christopherjshim »

Rangers,

My name is Chris, a 23-year old college graduate, civilian, naturalized citizen and medical school applicant who aspires to serve our country as an Army medical officer. I have posted a longer introduction in the "DEP/Civilian Introduction" forum.

My question regards the use of the title "Ranger." (I'm asking purely out of curiosity.)

From what I've learned from various threads on the board (specifically, a thread about tabbed and non-tabbed soldiers in the "75th Ranger Regiment" forum), any soldier who completes Ranger School earns the tab and the title "Ranger," even if he never actually serves in the 75th Regiment and spends an entire career in the 101st, 82nd, etc.

However, at a career forum at my college, the former Navy SEAL was quick to identify himself as such, whereas the former 101st infantry captain (who *had* graduated from Ranger School), wasn't so quick to identify himself as a "former Army Ranger."

Why is that? I know it is *correct* to call the former 101st captain a "Ranger" because he earned that honor, but is it *common* for Ranger graduates who never served in the Ranger Regiment to call themselves "Rangers?" Is there a stigma against those who are tabbed but never served in the 75th? Or is it just an unsaid Army custom that even if you graduated from Ranger School, if you don't serve in the Ranger Regiment, your primary identity is with the unit you *are* serving with (Ranger School being unique in sending most? of its graduates back into the regular Army world, unlike Navy BUD/S or Marine Recon).

yours very respectfully,
Chris
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

My view on the subject is this: Men who served in the 75th regiment who wore the scroll, tabbed or not tabbed, are Rangers.

The men from other units or branches of service that attend "Ranger School" are Ranger "qualified".

The TAB is a school.
The SCROLL is a way of life.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Another view is that some whom are Tabbed Rangers are modest about their accomplishments. They don't care to get into what is referred as a "pissing contest" to see who can brag the loudest. Some men prefer to not say anything. Actions speak louder than words.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

2 replys and you have your answer. Well done Rangers Steadfast/Luna.
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
jelly

Re: Question Using the Title "Ranger"

Post by jelly »

I was told this by a guy I have been talking to:

"I am a graduate of Ranger Class 9-00. I never served in a ranger unit. Either/or goes by Ranger."

Ok, so it doesn't matter if you served in the 75th or not?
Bell

Post by Bell »

Your question has been answered. However, it may be a little complicated for ya. College guy?

Try this. A man from an infantry mechanized unit, non airborne, goes to Ranger School. He graduates. He still drives tanks and busts tracks. Is he an Airborne Ranger?

You are into something that has been discussed at length on these boards. If you want to satisfy your curiosity use the search button or ask a DEPer. Those kids are smart.

RTLW
Bell
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Here's another analogy - I graduated Medical School, but work at Starbucks. Does that allow me to introduce myself to others as 'A Doctor', or as 'a Barrista'? :lol:
Last edited by Spartan on October 26th, 2004, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Question Using the Title "Ranger"

Post by Steadfast »

jelly wrote:I was told this by a guy I have been talking to:

"I am a graduate of Ranger Class 9-00. I never served in a ranger unit. Either/or goes by Ranger."

Ok, so it doesn't matter if you served in the 75th or not?

So if I stop breathing after reading this post of yourn will you have murdered me? . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . (Elizabeth, I'm comin' to join ya.)
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Spartan wrote:Here's another analogy - I graduated Medical School, but work at Starbucks. Does that allow me to introduce myself to others as 'A Doctor', or as 'a Barrista'? :lol:
You would still be called asshole but at least you could treat your own vaginal infections. :lol: :lol: :lol:
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Abell9 wrote:
Spartan wrote:Here's another analogy - I graduated Medical School, but work at Starbucks. Does that allow me to introduce myself to others as 'A Doctor', or as 'a Barrista'? :lol:
You would still be called asshole but at least you could treat your own vaginal infections. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I shall not strike a man of the cloth.
UBOAT
Ranger

Rangers

Post by UBOAT »

check it out! I have served in the Ranger Regiment, I consider myself BORN a Ranger. I also have my RANGER Tab. The day i graduated Ranger School, The Brigade Commander told evrybody there that had been through Ranger School, that was graduating that day, told them that they were RANGERS!

They still Tell them That, Every Graduation!

There was Ranger Training, before there was the Ranger Regiment!!

do your history!

HELL, Darby didnt have his TAB!!!
SERVED IN A CO 1ST RANGER BATTALION FROM 31MAR92 TO 20SEP01; 75TH PRE RANGER FROM 21SEP01 TO 20APR03. GRADUATED RANGER SCHOOL ON 13MAY94 CLASS 6-94.
4TH RTB 21APR03-30NOV05
82ND DEC05-PRESENT
Silverback
Ranger

Re: Rangers

Post by Silverback »

UBOAT wrote:check it out! I have served in the Ranger Regiment, I consider myself BORN a Ranger. I also have my RANGER Tab. The day i graduated Ranger School, The Brigade Commander told evrybody there that had been through Ranger School, that was graduating that day, told them that they were RANGERS!

They still Tell them That, Every Graduation!

There was Ranger Training, before there was the Ranger Regiment!!

do your history!

HELL, Darby didnt have his TAB!!!
pssst...You are responding to a thread that is a year old.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
UBOAT
Ranger

Post by UBOAT »

I LIKE TO WISPER TOO!

WE CANT DO THAT?

NOW THERE IS TIME REQUIREMENT ON POSTING STUFF.

YOU SEEM TO BE WATCHING IT!

SO IT MUST BE IMPORTANT
SERVED IN A CO 1ST RANGER BATTALION FROM 31MAR92 TO 20SEP01; 75TH PRE RANGER FROM 21SEP01 TO 20APR03. GRADUATED RANGER SCHOOL ON 13MAY94 CLASS 6-94.
4TH RTB 21APR03-30NOV05
82ND DEC05-PRESENT
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

UBOAT wrote:I LIKE TO WISPER TOO!

WE CANT DO THAT?

NOW THERE IS TIME REQUIREMENT ON POSTING STUFF.

YOU SEEM TO BE WATCHING IT!

SO IT MUST BE IMPORTANT
I found a sense of humor...Anyone know who lost it?
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”