General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

RTO
BANNED

Surprising Six-Figure Jobs

Post by RTO »

Tom Van Riper
Forbes.com

Want to make six figures? You're probably thinking you've got to work on Wall Street, a law firm or have gone through years of medical school to earn that kind of a salary.

While all that helps, we found some surprising jobs that pay $100,000 or more. Even for those without an advanced degree, there are ways to hustle for a big paycheck.

For Big Bucks Clickie Here
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

I suck donkey dicks for a nickel a herd. Granted, it ain't much for money, and I know I'll never have one of those six-figure incomes like in your story, but its a lot more socially redeeming than say....being a Democratic congressman for instance.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

hobbit wrote:I suck donkey dicks for a nickel a herd. Granted, it ain't much for money, and I know I'll never have one of those six-figure incomes like in your story, but its a lot more socially redeeming than say....being a Democratic congressman for instance.
Anh well.... this is a discussion forum, so I figured this is something people could discuss. :)

I know there are members of the site that make six figures already, members that WANT to make six figures, and those that don't care about money one way or another.

I figured I could post this and just sit back and watch the show... Image
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

Court reporters do 200 words a minute?! Holy shit, that's ridiculously fast!
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

As the resident AG Ranger, court reporters don't have regular typewriters, nor do they type in complete sentences. Fast for typing is around 65-70 wpm with 0 errors.

::sigh:: Here come the soft skill jokes....
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

Y'know, now that I think about it, that shit's not even possible.

That'd be around 1,000 key presses a minute. I'm a pretty fast typist, but there's just no fucking way that's possible. I think about the only way I could get 200 wpm would be to just bang on the keyboard with my fists like a monkey.

Theoretically, the standard for typing tests is 5 character-length words. I don't know what standard they were talking about and what their keyboards are like, but there's gotta be some sort of a dirty trick going on there.
World's worst webcomic
Mom in Texas
Tadpole

Post by Mom in Texas »

From what I understand court reporters record words according to sound much like the principles used in shorthand. A simple way to put it would be they kinda' type in shorthand.

A court reporters keyboard:

I checked into the school here a few years ago....it was not cheap.
There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure. - Colin Powell
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

Where are the other 6 letters?

Someone must have STOLEN THEM! :shock: Get the baliff to secure the courtroom, before the letter-bandit gets away!
World's worst webcomic
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

EvilCouch wrote:Where are the other 6 letters?
It must be a bitch to be a court reporter in China. They have 3600 letters.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

hobbit wrote:
EvilCouch wrote:Where are the other 6 letters?
It must be a bitch to be a court reporter in China. They have 3600 letters.

at .06 cents a day they can afford 3,600,000 court reporters, that and its probably not hard to type GUILTY even in chinese
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Horned Toad wrote: at .06 cents a day they can afford 3,600,000 court reporters, that and its probably not hard to type GUILTY even in chinese
Right on! The average trial in China takes place a week or less after arrest, and if convicted (which means about 99.9% of the time), prisoners are either executed within 48 hours or sent up to forced labor camps for long sentences. There is NO appeals process in China. The cruelest sentences are delayed execution sentences, where prisoners are sent to forced labor camps for 2, 5, 10, or even 20 years, and THEN executed after their prison/labor camp term is served.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

hobbit wrote:delayed execution sentences, where prisoners are sent to forced labor camps for 2, 5, 10, or even 20 years, and THEN executed after their prison/labor camp term is served.
Worst detail ever!
World's worst webcomic

Return to “The Mosh Pit”