Finishing education

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
JBB
Embryo

Finishing education

Post by JBB »

Not sure if this is the proper place to put this. Excuse me in advance.

What opportunities, if any, is there to finish a degree via online classes if fortunate enough to be in the 75th Reg.? I know about EarmyU and other resources that the Army provides. I am more asking if it is possible (time wise) while proudly serving.

I have over 90 hours of scattered college credits, and would just try to finish to obtain a Inter-disciplinary degree (Sophisticated word for General Studies degree). Just wanted to know if anyone that has been in the 75th and finished their degree while serving?

I know it will be hard and would be something to work at on the side, but hopefully within 4 years could you realistically finish 30 hours of college?

Thank you.

JBB
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

30 hours in 4 years through EArmyU?

Depends on the OPTEMPO of the unit, but if you manage to make the time for it, you should be able to knock it out.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
Soul Snatcher
Ranger

Post by Soul Snatcher »

All meat head aside, kill kill blah blah blah, the army will pay for 75% of your tuition I believe, and you can find really good classes at big or community colleges that offer online courses. I just completed my Chemistry 2 online b/c I didn't want to go to class during the summer, and a guy in my class was actually deployed in OIF while he was taking it. So the possibilities are out their. Plus, I know in my old platoon, we had expertise of all sorts. You can turn to them for help if you are pressed for time. One of my PV2's had a microbiology degree for example. The options are their. Or you can just pull force pro and act hard like those 2nd Batt guys. HaHa.
Aco. 1/75 2nd plt.
10-00
Getting hosed down by the local Police.

"I use to be in charge of million dollar equipment, now I can't get a job at the car wash!"
Dando175
Ranger

Post by Dando175 »

JBB, don't count on traditional classes. Assuming you're not deployed, the nearly continuous training will make it impossible. However, if EarmyU has a true learn-at-your-own-pace format, it's by all means doable. If you really want to finish your degree, you just have to manage your off-duty time. Opt against playing X-Box, watching DVD's, and drinking beer, and you've got time to study but not much left for the aforementioned Ranger barracks pastimes.

Even on deployments there's inevitably some hurry-up-and-wait time scattered throughout. Again, if you really have the inclination to pick up a book when you would otherwise be vegging out, you'll be fine. I brought a biology textbook with me on OEF 1 and finished it by the time I got back. Of course, I got my chops thoroughly busted for being a nerd, but...occupational hazard, I guess. :?
CPT, USAF Medical Service Corps
A Co. 1/75 99-02
Class 9-01

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”