Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Shadow
US Army

Introduction

Post by Shadow »

Good evening Rangers and Veterans.

I have been visiting this site for almost a year now and recently registered. It is about time I introduce myself. I am an MS2 ROTC Cadet at Widener University in Chester, PA, formerly the Pennsylvania Military College. I am a contracted cadet and have received a full tuition scholarship. My major is Computer Information Systems and I have placed a strong emphasis on academics in order to maintain a good GPA to increase my chances of branching Infantry. Earning the Ranger Tab is my ultimate goal.

I PT no less than five days a week, and completed a triathlon last Saturday (1k swim, 20 mile bike, 6.2 mile run). The last PT test I took was in April and I scored a 287. I need to improve my push up score so I can max the PT test, and I have been following one of the push up routines posted in the "About Army Physical Training" board here on the forum. So far, so good. I am confident I can earn a 300 on the next PT test and I also joined the Ranger Challenge Team for extra training.

Thank you Rangers for the information on this forum. Every question I had I have been able to find the answer to here. I also like reading the stories in the "No Shit, There I Was..." section. I have read some of those four or five times by now. Looking forward to learning more, and eagerly awaiting the day I commission to begin my career.

Returning to lurking mode.
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

Welcome.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Welcome.
Fishboy
Ranger

Post by Fishboy »

I can help you improve your pushups.........

start knocking them out!

one, two, two, two, two..........

all the way down!

oh, welcome
WHEN IN DOUBT, SHOOT IT OUT!
Never let your fears stand in the way of your dreams.

RS 4-92
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Nice intro, cadet, welcome. Get to jump school ASAP.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

There is only one opportunity to make a favorable initial impression. Shadow, you have success -- a go at this station. I'm impressed with your comments. Please consider going to Airborne school while you are still a cadet. Recognize that you need to display leadership at summer camp and maintain your grades. I assume you are in a leadership position in your ROTC program. Please come back and tell us more about what you are doing to prepare yourself. Welcome fellow Keystoner...
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Everett Ruess
Ranger

Post by Everett Ruess »

Welcome
HHC 1/75 '92
OIF 07-09
197th STC (SO)(A)-present

Sua Sponte!

Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent - that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman and loves only a warrior.
Friedrich Nietzsche
spanky
Ranger

Post by spanky »

Welcome.
RGR Class 8-78
A Team FIST, HHC, 1/75 80-82 Hunter AAF

An Armed Society is a Polite Society
Shadow
US Army

Post by Shadow »

Ranger Jim wrote:There is only one opportunity to make a favorable initial impression. Shadow, you have success -- a go at this station. I'm impressed with your comments. Please consider going to Airborne school while you are still a cadet. Recognize that you need to display leadership at summer camp and maintain your grades. I assume you are in a leadership position in your ROTC program. Please come back and tell us more about what you are doing to prepare yourself. Welcome fellow Keystoner...
Ranger Jim, I plan on attending Airborne school after the completion of my MS2 year. The cadre give the slots to those who have earned them. The Airborne slots go primarily to the MS2s, and I should be on the top of the list. I scored the highest on the PT test out of the MS1s in my battalion and I have a 4.0 in ROTC courses. As of right now, there is no reason that I won't be able to attend Airborne next summer.

As of a leadership position in my program, I will be a team leader this year, and possibly a squad leader. From what I understand, I may be able to lead the running club. Running club is for the cadets who either need help with their run, or enjoy running. We go to a nearby state park Thursday mornings at 0600 and run a 4.3 mile loop. We also rotate leadership positions on FTXs. I was able to lead a few cadets at our Fall FTX on the Field Leader Reaction Course (FLRC) which tests your ability to think creatively to solve problems you may encounter at a later time.

To further prepare myself, I am consistently studying, researching, doing PT, and volunteering for everything I possibly can. I signed up for the Army ten-miler in Washington DC that will take place on October 8, 2006. I also ran in the Commodore Barry Bridge Run which was a 10k (6.2 miles) run over the Commodore Barry Bridge. My battalion helps organize that run each year and I volunteered to be one of our racers. I took first in my age group and plan on doing the same next year.

Aside from physical fitness, I do a lot of research. I read anything I can about leadership. I recently read "No Excuse Leadership: Lessons From The US Army's Elite Rangers" by Brace Barber, which is advertised here on ArmyRanger.com, and I also ordered the Ranger Handbook from Amazon. Most of what I learn comes from listening to my cadre (two of them have Ranger Tabs) and learning from their experience. I spend a lot of time practicing and reviewing what I have already learned. I saved my ROTC text books and notes to study from, and also bought a rope from the hardware store to practice rope tying, specifically to tie the swiss seat as fast as possible for the Ranger Challenge competition.

The best thing I have done in preparing myself so far is volunteering for everything I can. I never turn down an opportunity for extra training. Last semester the MS3s went on an FTX to help prepare them for LDAC. My battalion needed MS1s and MS2s to be OPFOR for that FTX. It was only three days long, but we had just come back from our Spring FTX four days prior. I volunteered anyway, and spent three days getting rained on at the recon lane in Ft. AP Hill, Virginia... But I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Thank you for the welcome Rangers.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Im too lazy to type as much as you clown. :roll:

Welcome
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Shadow
US Army

Post by Shadow »

Ranger Scuba Wino wrote:Welcome Cadet. Glad you found us.

I do have one small question, your answer would be most appreciated and educational to me.

I thought that PMC disbanded the Cadet Corp (ROTC) in 1972 when they changed the name to Widener. When did they re-instate the ROTC program? The reason i ask is because one of my "Uncles" (for lack of a better term for a family friend) was an instructor there in the late 60's when it was Penn. Military College and Penn Morton College (civillian).

If they did re-instate it, that's good to see. They have a long tradition (almost 200yrs).

Again, welcome, thanks for wanting to serve our great Nation.

SW
Ranger Scuba Wino, the PMC was disbanded in 1972 due to the social problems surrounding the Vietnam War. They began having trouble getting cadets to enroll at the college. Army ROTC remained on campus, but was relatively small as it started out. Today we have six universities that make up our battalion, the Pioneer Battalion. We actually have a small museum on campus dedicated to the PMC. If I may, here is a link to the history of our battalion, if you are interested:

http://www.widener.edu/Academics/School ... lion/1493/

Return to “Introduction Archive”