WTC Pre-Ranger - AWESOME

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
Sica
Embryo

WTC Pre-Ranger - AWESOME

Post by Sica »

To anybody on the fence about whether to attend the WTC Pre-Ranger - GO! Awesome training, I feel like I've got the 'answers to the test.' Motivated instructors get you in the mindset for Darby. I have no doubt that I will complete Ranger School, recycle or not. Months ago, I was filled with uncertainty. It is just a matter of will.

Some notes I scribbled down as 'lessons learned;'

-memorize the creed, sentence by sentence. Don't F your buddies at chowtime!
-have a good terrain model kit to RS standard; most Ranger neglected this
-TRPs need to include GL, TF, and even pref. PLOT-CR
-bring very small pocket knife on 550 on belt loop for MREs, big knives not used
-cut down and laminate your map, put an index card on the back before you seal it up. Map cases are bulky and leak.
-assign equipment to the duty position, not an individual. Mark ea. piece (NOD, wpns.) with 100mph tape and duty pos.; i.e. "SL" or "AG," so you can just grab it and go after change of command
-number the OPORD pages before you give it to the SL; he will get confused and botch the brief
-packing list - better to ask for forgiveness that permission! I left a lot of good kit in my car b/c I packed 'to the letter.' Just bring it, and if it's a no-go, it goes in your contraband bag. No big deal.
-have a laminated status card for Patrol Base, to include security plan, sector sketch, etc.. you can get this at RJ's
-buy everything else at Commando's - free drinks, great service, better prices/selection
-load your ruck w/ heavy on top, stamp down the crossmember, tape up for LBE meathooks
-buy Chigg-A-Away - everybody has DEET, but everybody will get chiggers
-if you get ivy, get the shot. works.

Bottom line, for all the speculation and all the hand-wringing, you just go here to be a good field soldier, and you'll do well. I was just being myself and I got an 83 on peers. I mostly stayed quiet until I could really help out, and I kept smiling. And I gave away chow/humped extra gear in the field. Just be a team player. If you're always first in line for chow/bus, that's noticed.

I am an officer (O2, 8 yrs. in Guard) and some twit remarked on the course critique that he didn't like how officers were targetted for verbal harassment.

Well, dude, get used to it. Because you're an officer, you've been afforded plenty of privilege and you have an enormous responsibility. If you can't overcome some light-hearted insults and impress your peers (E3 & up) with your fieldcraft and tactical ability, then you probably shouldn't be leading troops. I took it as a challenge.

Sleep: if you're not cheating, you're not trying. Work as a buddy team. Goes for everything else, too.

Pushups: do them one by one, chest to the ground. That's the standard.

Feet: Soak in mineral spirits to toughen the skin. Get orthotics. Get the Belleville 390TRP s as one of your jungle boots, get OD/blk SOGs or Wellcos as the other.

Food: Pre-Ranger gorges you.

And SSG Moore is a trip. He's probably on this board somewhere. That's all I'm going to say.

OK I have to go refit, good luck to everyone going Monday morning.

-Sica

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”