Battle buddy concerns

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

DirtyBlackSocks
Tadpole

Battle buddy concerns

Post by DirtyBlackSocks »

We've had a lot of guys talking about needing to see mental health and going AWOL lately. I'm concerned for em' but having troubles figuring out how the hell to deal with em'. Most of the prior service I've talked to that're Sappers or gone through RIP tell me they see a lot of that in the courses as well and I was wondering if you all have any real advice on how to help these guys. I know training is everyone for themselves but I feel like I have an obligation to do anything I can.
"The greatest test of courage on earth is to bear defeat without losing heart." Colonel Robert Ingersoll

"Some where, you learn not to defend your actions and just drive on." Ranger Caruthers
Silverback
Ranger

Re: Battle buddy concerns

Post by Silverback »

DirtyBlackSocks wrote:We've had a lot of guys talking about needing to see mental health and going AWOL lately. I'm concerned for em' but having troubles figuring out how the hell to deal with em'. Most of the prior service I've talked to that're Sappers or gone through RIP tell me they see a lot of that in the courses as well and I was wondering if you all have any real advice on how to help these guys. I know training is everyone for themselves but I feel like I have an obligation to do anything I can.
You can help them best by giving them an example to follow. Don't try to talk to them or nurse them, lead them with your actions.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
DirtyBlackSocks
Tadpole

Re: Battle buddy concerns

Silverback wrote:
DirtyBlackSocks wrote:We've had a lot of guys talking about needing to see mental health and going AWOL lately. I'm concerned for em' but having troubles figuring out how the hell to deal with em'. Most of the prior service I've talked to that're Sappers or gone through RIP tell me they see a lot of that in the courses as well and I was wondering if you all have any real advice on how to help these guys. I know training is everyone for themselves but I feel like I have an obligation to do anything I can.
You can help them best by giving them an example to follow. Don't try to talk to them or nurse them, lead them with your actions.
Those are my intentions Ranger Silverback and most actually come to me for advice and guidance, which I don't understand as I've never been a leader before.

I'm just worried for their safety, some battle buddies have already gone AWOL with no contact since and others have talked about killing themselves ect. It's pretty heavy stuff to weigh on the mind as I feel responsible for them in some jacked up way.

Thanks for any advice though Rangers and Soldiers, my mind's not as sharp as it should be and I'm having trouble coming to real conclusions on these issues.
"The greatest test of courage on earth is to bear defeat without losing heart." Colonel Robert Ingersoll

"Some where, you learn not to defend your actions and just drive on." Ranger Caruthers
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

Some people can't cut it. Don't stress out over it. If they want to make it, they'll make it. If they get too stressed to deal with it, let them slide away. The important thing is to keep it from affecting you.

Stay focused on your goals and you'll be fine.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

I agree with what’s been written. Don’t let them pull you down. Show the best example of how it’s done and drive on.

There are people that will deal with them and that’s not you, you’re job is to drive on to the OBJ.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Fuck 'em. If they're running away and trying to OD on Motrin or jump out the window, they're not really your BB. Let them go. Your obligation is to yourself and to those who are sticking it out with you.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Miitary service and training is designed to continually cull the herd. There are maligerers, misfits, problem children, cowards and those who just can't cut it for a number of reasons. Do not let them drag you down. The fact that they come to you for advice shows that you have natural leadership qualities. But at this point, you have neither the skills nor the experience to counsel them and could unkowingly do more harm than good. Your course of action should be a sole focus on your training and to notify your chain of comand of those who may be a danger to themselves or others, considering AWOL, or otherwise affecting the safety and morale of your unit. Drive on and don't look back unless you're doing rear security on a patrol.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

You are not responsible for them.....at all.

You have stood out as a leader amoung them. Sheep will recognise the leader. and then flock to it. Good on ya. But the weak sheep WILL be eatin by the wolves....there is nothing you can do about it. Once the weak have been consumed then the heard will be stronger.

Let the Drama queens and assclown fall by the wayside. help when you can but in the end they, and you, will make their own way.

The world is a harsh place and not everyone can take it. Beside the old saying goes, "no attrition, No moral. "
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
DirtyBlackSocks
Tadpole

Good advice Rangers, pretty much what I had summed up on my own, must be the medic in me that wants everyone to make it.

RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Just remember, the world is always going to need ditch diggers.
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

rgrpuck wrote: You have stood out as a leader amoung them. Sheep will recognise the leader. and then flock to it. Good on ya. But the weak sheep WILL be eatin by the wolves....there is nothing you can do about it. Once the weak have been consumed then the heard will be stronger.

There ought to be a term for people like this. I suggest "sheeple."

These are the ones who need someone to look after them and protect them -- they are incapable fo doing it for themselves. Sadly, there are too many of them in society. They don't think for themselves, but generally do as they're told. They are preyed upon by hucksters, thieves, and politicians (but I repeat myself).

DBS, always try to do the right thing -- in the long run it turns out to be a lot easier.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Fishboy
Ranger

Post by Fishboy »

Read and re-read what is written above.
Great advise dispensed here once again.

remember kid, the cream always rises to the top.
WHEN IN DOUBT, SHOOT IT OUT!
Never let your fears stand in the way of your dreams.

RS 4-92
DirtyBlackSocks
Tadpole

Rangers, thanks again for all the advice, it's sound and pretty much what I already knew but had to hear for myself.

I think my injuries are starting to take a little steam out of my motivation, being broken for 4 months straight takes it's toll after a while. Gotta buck it up and get my BMD in check before I slip up.

Caruthers
Ranger

Post by Caruthers »

Pain and suffering is madatory.........bitching, whinning and moaning is optional..............quiting is madatory for the weak mind.......Driving on through_____________(fill the blank) mandatory for a man to walk justified into his own house...........Fuckem' there beat like wolf pussy.

That is a paraphrase of several Rangers that help raised me: Bill Stahler, Nick Vay and H. Roberts.
"When injustice becomes Law, resistance becomes duty"

Thomas Jefferson

Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves.”
- Norm Franz
DJB
Ranger

Post by DJB »

Nothing in the military is "every man for himself", but the commitment you have to your fellow trainees is to perform at the best of your ability and report to the powers that be any serious concerns you might have about suicide or treats to injury others. If you want to waste your time cheerleading for these week minded individuals go ahead, but I think you will find that once someone has made up their mind to quit its as good as done.
Last edited by DJB on June 25th, 2006, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aco1/75 Rgr 92-98, class 3/94, 300F1 5/95
Instructor Medical OBC, 99-00, 143rd LRSD (TXNG) 00-03.
Contractor Physician JBLM 2010-

Jihadists have no means by which to destroy the institutions of our society, while the Congressman does.

http://www.lifesharers.org/

Return to “The Mosh Pit”