Just ran a 12k

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Odiedog52
Tadpole

Just ran a 12k

Post by Odiedog52 »

In getting myself in shape for the Army and hopefully a RIP contract, i have been running and what not, and today i did a 12k (7.46 miles).

I'm sure many of you have heard of it, the Sound to Narrows here in Tacoma, WA. The only reason i say that is it's pretty close to Ft. Lewis and the soldiers come ever year and run it before everyone else early morning.

The terrain is basically alot of hills. i didn't train well enough for them, but i did good on all of them but one. I ended up with a 1:14:xx time, 15 minutes faster then last year and i felt 100 times better doing it. That comes down to about a 9.6x minute mile pace, which needs to be improved.

My brother and I are going to continue training, and i hope to get two more events in, before i ship July 5. There is a 4 mile run, 12 mile bike ride, then 4 mile run to finish we may be doing, or we may go down to Portland for a 10k.

As I said, i'm aware it needs to be improved, and I'm going to do just that. As motivation, my brother kept telling me how much of a pussy I was, and if this was hard, just wait till trying to become a Ranger :twisted:

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'll knock out 50 for posting.
Shipping to Benning 20060705
EvilCouch
Ranger

Re: Just ran a 12k

Post by EvilCouch »

Odiedog52 wrote:The terrain is basically alot of hills. i didn't train well enough for them, but i did good on all of them but one. I ended up with a 1:14:xx time, 15 minutes faster then last year and i felt 100 times better doing it. That comes down to about a 9.6x minute mile pace, which needs to be improved.
Yes it does. Good motivation on your part for getting out there and doing it, though.

Best way to train running hills that I know of is to run hills. I'd say go find the biggest hill you can and run up and down it until you're fucking smoked. Then run it 5 more times. Puke your guts out as needed. Make sure you stay hydrated.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
Odiedog52
Tadpole

Post by Odiedog52 »

I definitely need to do more hill workouts and luckily my recruiter likes to make me run hills. It was a tough run however, and it's considered one of the harder 12k's in country cause of the constant hills.

I was pleased with how I did today, I did alot better then last year. But looking back at it, I know I could have done better.

Going to continue running, and like I said, I hope to get in 2 more events before I leave.

Thank you for the response, Ranger EvilCouch.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

I must admit, a civilian keeping a 9.5 minute mile pace is pretty fucking good.

And being able to complete 7.5 miles was a serious gut check for most civilians.

I say good job, Odie. Continue to train and improve.

I may need to start taking my own advice. :oops:
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Odiedog52
Tadpole

Post by Odiedog52 »

That really means a lot SFC Hit_it.

I'm definitely going to continue training. I regret not starting doing these runs months ago, but now that is out of my control.

I know I got worked over, as my knees and ankles are killing me. Luckily no abnormal pain in my right ankle, the one I broke almost exactly a year ago.

There are two other events I have my eyes on, and we'll see what happens with those.

If I do them, I'll post up my results in case anyone would like to see if I'm improving, or just to see my times or experience.

Thanks again SFC Hit_it
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

Odiedog52 wrote:I'm definitely going to continue training. I regret not starting doing these runs months ago, but now that is out of my control.

I know I got worked over, as my knees and ankles are killing me. Luckily no abnormal pain in my right ankle, the one I broke almost exactly a year ago.
Don't focus on what you didn't do. Focus on what you need to do.

I don't want to hear in a month from now, "I did good, but I could have done even better if I had started training sooner". I want to hear "I did that run again and I kicked its fucking ass! And a month from now when I do it again, I'm going to bend it over that big hill and fuck it until it explodes!"
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic

Return to “About Army Physical Training”