GRN MKIV's Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

VAK
USAF Veteran

Post by VAK »

5'5 and 200+?

Cartman, go back to your cartoon and play with Kenny or something...

Dayum.
"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
(Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Mentor to those who would seek to be CAS God's
CHCB
Ranger

Post by CHCB »

Given your height, weight and body fat percentage, I'm not surprised your recruiter is not forcing an Option 40 into your hands.

215 to 203 in 4 weeks. That's 3 pounds a week, which is not generally considered to be a sustainable rate of weight loss. A sustainable rate is 1-4 pounds a MONTH.

Crashing down to the minimal weight/body fat standards just to get in the Army as quickly as you can is a bad idea.

If you're serious about wanting to be a soldier and a Ranger, then consider this advice.

1. Determine your average caloric intake now. Write down everything that goes in stomach every day and figure out how many calories you're taking in.

2. Determine your Basal Metabolic Rate (the calories you consume by merely breathing for 24 hours):

BMR = 66 + (13.7 X wt in kg) + (5 X ht in cm) - (6.8 X age in years).

3. Multiply that number by 1.2 if you're a student. The result gives you your daily caloric requirement excluding exercise and sport.

4. Using the two figures you've come up with so far, establish an exercise program/eating regimen that results in a daily caloric deficit of 500 calories. That's 3500 calories, or 1 pound of body weight, every week, which is 4 pounds a month.

5. Continue until you're at 15% body fat, by which time you should also be pretty fit. Given your current weight, it'll probably take you a little over a year to get down to where you ought to be.

That may seem like a long time, but it took you years to lay on those extra 60 pounds, and it's unreasonable to think you're going to get rid of them in a few weeks or months without detrimental effects on your health.

Taking a year or more to lose that weight sensibly will result in a modified pattern of behavior which will allow you to stay trim. You'll also have developed a habit of self-disicpline which will stand you in good stead in the future.
2nd PLT A co 1/75 78-80
Ranger Class 502-79
CHCB
Ranger

Post by CHCB »

The equation I gave you for calculating BMR can overestimate caloric requirement for obese people. Also, for anybody else reading this, it only applies to males. In case any of the ladies on the board are interested, the female equation is

BMR = 655 + (9.6 X wt in kg) + (1.8 X ht in cm) - (4.7 X age in years)

One other option for calculating BMR, since you know your body fat percentage is

BMR= 370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg)

This applies to either sex, since it's based on lean body mass.

If the data you provided are accurate, your lean body mass is 64.6 kg.

If I were you, I'd do both calculations and then take the SMALLER of the two (so you underestimate your daily caloric requirement).
2nd PLT A co 1/75 78-80
Ranger Class 502-79
CHCB
Ranger

Post by CHCB »

A few other observations.

1- If you're at 30% body fat, I'd scratch the extra weight when running, since you're already taxing your feet, ankles, hips, knees, and lower back beyond tolerance. In fact, even if you were 143 pounds, I'd tell you to shitcan ANY extra weight when running. If want to wear a ruck, WALK. If you feel you're not working hard enough, just run faster.

2- If you're doing all the PT you've listed above, AND grappling 8 hours a week and you're still at 30% BF, you must spend every other waking moment with chow going downrange.
2nd PLT A co 1/75 78-80
Ranger Class 502-79
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

This is a much better intro that what is usually posted.

It looks like you're trying. My suggestion is to concentrate on running distance.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

oops, 'than'.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

GRN MKIV wrote:Thank you Ranger CHCB for your advice. Also thank you to Veteran ANGRYCivilian and VAK for your kind words.... For some reason I highly doubt I am at 30% body fat, but I only listed what the Recruiter said. The next time I post, is when I have a 2 weeks'worth of information. That information including everything I eat, how many calories are taken in, and also what kind of PT is completed that day. I will also try to find the funds to purchase a heart rate monitor, and write that information down also. I will also try to get a accurate body fat measurement by then.

Its 0817. I will now stop typing, and eat down some breakfeast and headout to PT.

Thank you
Hey dummy. You don't eat chow before PT, you eat it afterwards, or in your case, skip it all together, and do PT twice. Then have some salad or fruit. No eggs, no meat, no bread and no goddamn Twinkies hooah?

If all else fails, join the Navy. Good luck tubby.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

DO NOT PM ME AGAIN OR I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN AND SQUEEZE YOUR NUTS UP OUTTA YOUR THROAT LIKE A FUCKING PUSH-POP.

This is not Yahoo Messenger, get away from the keyboard and go do PT.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
CHCB
Ranger

Post by CHCB »

GRN MKIV wrote:The next time I post, is when I have a 2 weeks'worth of information. That information including everything I eat, how many calories are taken in, and also what kind of PT is completed that day. I will also try to find the funds to purchase a heart rate monitor, and write that information down also. I will also try to get a accurate body fat measurement by then.
Hey, bud, I didn't sign up to be your personal trainer. You SHOULD be recording all that data, but I'm not interested in seeing it here, and I don't think anyone else is, either.

If you're looking for validation, look elsewhere.
2nd PLT A co 1/75 78-80
Ranger Class 502-79
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

cams wrote:DO NOT PM ME AGAIN OR I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN AND SQUEEZE YOUR NUTS UP OUTTA YOUR THROAT LIKE A FUCKING PUSH-POP.

This is not Yahoo Messenger, get away from the keyboard and go do PT.
Classic. :lol:
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

GRN MKIV wrote:Thank you Ranger CHCB for your advice. Also thank you to Veteran ANGRYCivilian and VAK for your kind words.... For some reason I highly doubt I am at 30% body fat, but I only listed what the Recruiter said.
If you can pinch a handfull of fat around your belly, you're probably at 30% body fat.

I don't see how the hell you can be doing that much excercise and be that fat, unless you're exagerating just how much activity you're doing, though.

After I fucked my knees up, left Battalion and got a cushy desk job with a pathetic PT program, about the only real PT I was doing was combatives. I trained hard with SFC Larson a few days a week and easily maintained about a 10% body fat.

If you really are doing cardio for 30-60 min a day and fighting hard for several hours a week and can't break 30%, there's something seriously wrong, either with your metabolism or your eating habits.

I seriously doubt that you're being completely honest with your exercise pattern, or you're simply not pushing yourself during your exercise. A light jog that doesn't make you pour sweat off of your body is NOT cardio. 2 hours of slow drills and standing around watching the instructor demonstrate moves doesn't fucking help you learn how to do anything in an actual fight and certainly doesn't help you lose any weight
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

VAK wrote:5'5 and 200+?

Cartman, go back to your cartoon and play with Kenny or something...

Dayum.
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAAA

Return to “Introduction Archive”