New Member - Wife of soldier in RIP

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Proud Ranger Wife
Sister

New Member - Wife of soldier in RIP

Post by Proud Ranger Wife »

Hello, my husband has just started in RIP. Since he decided to join last March (he left for Basic in October), I have read everything I could find about Rangers and the Army in general. I have done my best to be supportive including memorizing the Ranger Creed right along with him!

While I have been able to find a lot of information for the soldier, I have been able to find very little about being an Army wife and even less about being the wife of a Ranger. I realize that he hasn't made it yet and he has a hard three weeks in front of him but I've never seen him more determined about anything in his life.

For those of you who are married, I'm looking for advice on how to cope with all of the new challenges this will bring. I would also like some insight on what it's like day to day as far as your family situation....how much are you gone....for how long....do you really just disappear sometimes with no notice...etc.

I may be on the wrong board for this but until we're stationed somewhere I don't know where else to look for information. Thanks in advance for any advice and for taking the time to read this post.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Let me take this time to Welcome you to this site. I do not have the info you seek but someone may be along to help you out. Good luck to you and your husband, PW.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

ProudWife:

1. Please help yourself to an Avatar from our avatar galleries - your choice.

2. Each Ranger Bn has an excellent Family Readiness Group (FRG) that will take you under it's wing and really provide some solid moral support for life as a Ranger wife and also assist you in getting acclimated to the area where you and your husband will be assigned. One of the previous commanders of the 75th Ranger Regiment, COL Votel's wife really took this on as a project and made it her mission to develop the Regiment's FRG's as the best in the Army. You can bet that the other commander's wives who followed her picked up right where she left off as well.

3. Thanks for signing up for an account and don't be afraid to ask any questions which come to mind. I wish your husband good luck and it sounds like you have been very supportive of him. I'm sure he appreciates it very much.
Earthpig
Ranger

Re: New Member - Wife of soldier in RIP

Post by Earthpig »

Proudwife-

Welcome to the site! It's great to see you have such an interest in your husband's new career. Your support will help him reach his goals.
proudwife wrote: I would also like some insight on what it's like day to day as far as your family situation....how much are you gone....for how long....do you really just disappear sometimes with no notice...etc.
If your husband makes it to a Ranger Battalion, you will find a very closed-knit group of Ranger wives ready to greet you. Their 'Queens' will be the Captain's wife and the First Sgt's wife. Their goal will be keeping you focused on maintaining a happy, lasting relationship with your husband and his Ranger Bat.

My wife was exposed to pottery classes, painting classes, and many other extra curricular activities during my tour at 2nd Battalion. She actually picked up quite a few hobbies....all as a result of the Ranger Wives Group (or whatever they were called).

Yes, your husband will disappear without notice. It's not any more pleasant for him than it is for you. Trust me, he'll want to call you and say, "I'm going to be gone for awhile," but for obvious security reasons, it won't be possible for him to make that call.

It comes with the turf of being in Special Operations. He will be an elite soldier. Part of what makes SpecOps units so lethal is their surprise attacks. If they were able to let all their loved ones know ahead of time what the plans were, the chances of a complete surprise attack would be jeopardized. I'm sure you understand that. After he has deployed on one of these sudden missions, the Ranger Wives will contact you and give you whatever information is available.

Ranger life can be hard on a marriage, but I believe that it is only damaging to the marriages that aren't that strong to begin with. When I was in a Ranger Bat back in the late 80's, I was married to the same woman I share a roof with and still love today. She has always been there. Like a Ranger, she will NEVER quit. You said that you memorized the Creed with your husband.....live that creed every day, just like he will. Do that and you will look back on these times some day with pride....pride in your husband for serving his country in an elite fighting unit...and pride in yourself, for standing beside him and accompanying him on the best years of his life.

Good luck, Proudwife. I'm glad to see you here. I look forward to seeing you on the boards. If you have any questions, please ask...we'll try our best to assist you.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Welcome, proudwife. We'll be here to offer whatever assistance we can.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Welcome! Glad you found us!
rangercamaro
Ranger

Post by rangercamaro »

Squared away attitude!!! You will be an asset to your man and what ever he does in life. Ranger's Spartan and Earthpig have given the best advice i could have given.

The one thing they omitted is if your man makes it to a BN you will quickly know his Bro's from Bn. They will be his brothers, best friends, teachers and protectors. They will become closer than any friendship you have ever seen. Do not hold this against him. He is not choosing them over you, it is a necessity to get this closeness and trust with the man who he may save or may save his life.

Welcome to the site and keep us updated with stories he calls in with !!!!
Bco 1/75 2nd plt Wpn Sqd 89-93
HHC 1/75 Bn Armorer 93-94 (after cookoff)
Proud Ranger Wife
Sister

Thanks!

Wow, thank you so much for the welcome! I have to admit I was a little uneasy about posting anything but I feel much better now! I know that life in the Rangers will not be easy if he makes it, but I am so proud of him with everything he has accomplished. The flag and every other patriotic symbol has a whole new meaning when someone you love is serving.

One thing that has really shocked me is the reaction I receive from others when I tell them that he joined. Most of the women have asked "why did he do that?" I even had one tell me today "I'm sorry, is there anything I can do to help?" I'm like with what? I'm thrilled he joined and he's found something he loves. So I thought well surely the guys I tell will have a different reaction but it's been the same. It's really strange! So its nice to talk to others who are proud of his decision and understand it.

I thought I would give you an update on his RIP class. They started with 223 guys who passed the PT test. By the morning of Day 2, they were down to 193 and 44 failed the 5 mile run that day. I can't believe how quickly the class is shrinking. What really surprised me was the number of guys who just quit.

I thought you'd enjoy seeing the numbers - he is in the field for the next three days so I assume I'll talk to him this weekend.

Thanks again for the welcome and for answering my questions. I'll be sure to keep you updated with stories from RIP.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

PW-
I'm curious....was your husband one of our DEPs on this site, or did you just 'stumble' upon us?
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Proud Ranger Wife
Sister

Ranger EP, my husband has never been on this site. I found it when I was doing a search for RIP on Yahoo.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

proudwife wrote:Ranger EP, my husband has never been on this site. I found it when I was doing a search for RIP on Yahoo.
proudwife,

Tell him, if he needs any advice or motivation, to pay us a visit when he can.

RLTW
RGR Luna
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Bell

Post by Bell »

Welcome to a real Ranger discussion board Proud Wife. Congratulations on your attitude. It will help your husband tremendously.

Being a Ranger is a surprise everyday. My RIP class started with around 240 and 15 of us went to Battalion. It makes you realize that you're doing something that very few can do. Only you and the people associated with the Ranger community can understand and appreciate that.

If you ever need anything, holler. We can help. Sounds like yer doing alright so far.

RLTW
Bell
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Well, Proud Wife....as you can see these gents will do anything possible to help you understand the Ranger Life as a Ranger Wife. You couldnt have linked up with a better crew and welcome to the site.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Proud Ranger Wife
Sister

RIP Update

Just wanted to let you know that they completed their 12 mile road march today. He said his feet were pretty messed up by the end but he made it. They have a jump on Thursday and then I think they take the written test on Tuesday. I'm so proud of him!!

Just wanted to give you the update. Have a good night!

Return to “Introduction Archive”