Colored and whites in the Ranger Regt.

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
Swoff
Tadpole

Colored and whites in the Ranger Regt.

Post by Swoff »

I just looked at the picture from Ranger Gronk's signature http://www-benning.army.mil/rtb/ranger/photo/2-87.jpg and it just struck me that there were mostly white soldiers there. I dont want to sound like a racist but is this a branch off the army where there are mostly white soldiers??
If so, why?? Are the colored soldiers not informed about the possibilty to join??

PS: I just couldn't find the correct forum to post in so I posted it here.
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

No, the Ranger Regiment is not a racist entity. Standards are the same, regardless of color. ASVAB scores, swim tests, standards of appearance, standards of conduct, and everything else associated with making it to and staying in a Ranger Battalion are the same, whether you are white or purple. It does not matter.

Having said that, when I was in, there were a disproportionate ratio of white vs. non-white soldiers in my Batt. There were certainly non-white Rangers, but the ratios were not as high in , say, the units where the truck drivers, who supported us, came from. Given that the opportunites as well as the standards are the same regardless of color or social stature, I will leave it to you to speculate why that is.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Spartan

Re: Colored and whites in the Ranger Regt.

Post by Spartan »

Swoff wrote:I just looked at the picture from Ranger Gronk's signature http://www-benning.army.mil/rtb/ranger/photo/2-87.jpg and it just struck me that there were mostly white soldiers there. I dont want to sound like a racist but is this a branch off the army where there are mostly white soldiers??
If so, why?? Are the colored soldiers not informed about the possibilty to join??

In my RIP class there were probably 5-6 non-whites (including Philippino, Hispanic and Blacks) of those, two, a philippino and black were both assigned to my company. In my company (rougly 125 men) there were 5-6 Blacks, maybe 20 or so hispanic, 2-3 pacific islanders and 4-5 philippinos.

Of those, all attended Ranger School and I can't think of one of them who did not graduate.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Simple reason for the disparity in numbers......

CWST-Swim Test.

Blacks have more muscles then whites do, generally speaking. If you know anything about swimming, fat tends to float while muscle is heavier and tends to sink.

Generally, blacks aren't very good swimmers.

There are blacks that make it and do well in the Regt., don't get me wrong.

Nothing racist about this, it's just the way it is.

I think we lost about 15 black guys to the swim test in my RIP class.
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Post by AngryPistols »

I cannot testify to this, however, Ranger BadMuther's theory is supported in an article in the San Diego Union-Tribune that states that reason for the racial disparity is the following:

Problems passing swimming tests.

Limited time with wives and families.

Few post-military career options.

Lack of minority role models.

Difficulty with small-unit combat skills and orienteering, the
military art of cross-country navigation.

See
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/mili ... 7rank.html for more details

Angry
Angry

USA 95B 84-87, TXARNG 91B 88-89, CIV 89-present

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde
Blacksheep2/75
Ranger

Post by Blacksheep2/75 »

I'm a little late in this one, but Bad Muther, case in point of one hard Mofo.
PSG Roberts aka 1SG Roberts.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Colored and whites in the Ranger Regt.

Post by Steadfast »

Swoff wrote:I just looked at the picture from Ranger Gronk's signature http://www-benning.army.mil/rtb/ranger/photo/2-87.jpg and it just struck me that there were mostly white soldiers there. I dont want to sound like a racist but is this a branch off the army where there are mostly white soldiers??

Not for nothing Swoff, but tell us what the total population of your country is, then give us the breakdown and tell us how may black, hispanic, french, german and normadic totals there are presently in your country. What is the main religion. And how many Muslims you have there? You are not done yet? What is keeping you? We are waiting, tic toc, tic toc, tic toc.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Swoff
Tadpole

Post by Swoff »

Will do Ranger Steadfast.
Total population: 4 500 000 million (of these there are 300 000 people of foreign nationality)
Main religion: Christianity (Protestant)
The total number of muslims in my country (Norway) is around 30 000.

Sorry I'm late, didn't notice this post before.Hope this helps.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Swoff wrote:Will do Ranger Steadfast.
Total population: 4 500 000 million (of these there are 300 000 people of foreign nationality)
Main religion: Christianity (Protestant)
The total number of muslims in my country (Norway) is around 30 000.

Sorry I'm late, didn't notice this post before.Hope this helps.
No, your assignment is incomplete. Read my instructions again and follow them. I want more intel.

This is 75th Ranger Regiment Forum. Make you next post in Maximum Carnage - make topic: Sworf Assignment. In you post, reprint my instructions, your old response and your new updated response.

Note to Rangers: Sorry for the hi jack Gentlemen. Apologies to all.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Mailman
Tadpole

Post by Mailman »

Did you guys know that the Saltbitch is black. He made it through just fine!! :lol:
C co 3/75, 3rd Plt
94-97

"I didn't want to hurt them, I only wanted to kill them." -David Berkowitz-
Blacksrt4
Tadpole

Post by Blacksrt4 »

At my school I saw a guy black guy in uniform (must have been a parent of a student) and I noticed he had a CIB, then I noticed he was tabbed, then I saw that 1st batt. scrool. This dude was HUGE!!
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Mailman wrote:Did you guys know that the Saltbitch is black. He made it through just fine!! :lol:
I can swim just fine.....'strong swimmer'. 8)
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

One thing I noticed about the LRRPs of my time, who happened to be Black, was that none of them were just average. Only one was a POS, the rest were VERY good. Maybe they thought they had something to prove, I'd never thought about it until now. The thing that made the Black guys stand out was their abilities, not their race. Race was never a factor, you were either "good to go" or a POS. If you were a piece of shit, you were gone pretty fast.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
rgrjoe175
Tadpole

Post by rgrjoe175 »

Ok this is my first post on this board but my personnal belief is this is a crock of shit.

Swim test is the main culprit. I have seen fat white and black guys that just cant plain swim. The biggest fallout rate of non-whites was failing that test. I do not believe it is genetic.

It is lack of non-whites being taught how to swim. You dont need friggen study to know this.. I lost a few black guys that were damn good friend of mine in RIP because they could not swim. Both had pretty much never been in the water above their knees.

My youngest son has a very good friend that when he first came to my house had never been in the water except a bath tub. I told his mom to bring his swim trunks...she said WHAT?.. I said bring his swim trunks.. Oh no he cant swim.. I asked why not.. We never swim... I said he will if he comes to my house. That kid is a swimming fool now.. most just never had the opportunity to learn or someone to take the time to teach them. I dont think muscle density has damn thing to do with it. That is my Theory.
1/75 80-83
Class 6-81
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

rgrjoe175 wrote:I dont think muscle density has damn thing to do with it. That is my Theory.
I have to agree. Human beings are genetically 'designed' to have the same number of muscles; no more, no less.
The entire concept of swimming is all about knowing how to move your body in a manner that enables you to propel yourself efficiently while floating. EVERYONE can float. Some people have a better developed technique; hence they are better swimmers. It's physics, not genetics.

As far as the 'muscle-mass/density' aspect is concerned, I believe it is a non-factor. Ever noticed what someone on a scuba team (SF) looks like? Damn near ZERO body fat, and definately NOT lacking muscle. They usually are the stereotypical 'body-nazis'; certainly not fat-bodys.

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”