Ranger

Post by wellfed »

I'll take a look. :roll:
"You're never beaten until you admit it."

RS 1-86
91W
USAR

Post by 91W »

I lived it with the AFTH in Balad. I will not watch it but I would rather see that than the sitcom shit they are talking about. There are alot of people that think all we did in an ER was sit around and twidle our thumbs so it might be good in a way.
"If you cannot accomplish great things, Accomplish small things in a great way"

"A Goal is a dream with a deadline"

USAR 1995-2005
OIF 2004-2005
91W
NREMT
CHCB
Ranger

Post by CHCB »

I'm suspicous.

This sounds to me to be in the same vein as the weekly National Public Radio profiles of Iraq KIAs-ostensibly aimed at "honoring" our heroes, but with a subtext of eroding support for the war by the constant drumbeat of "All-American boys dying over there."

Rather than the weekly chipping away of NPR, however, this will bring the horrors of combat trauma into the living rooms of America-to what end? The publicity piece talks about "...paying tribute to the heroism of U.S. military and medical personnel..." but look also:

"...physical and emotional toll of war...unflinching and at times graphic look at the realities of war...hard-core, raw, uncut trauma...an emotional, devastating and honest account of modern-day war"

Anybody else get a sense of the agenda, here?

Fuck HBO, and fuck the voyeuristic masses who will be glued to their TV sets to see the blood and gore....while remaining safe and sound in their living rooms.
2nd PLT A co 1/75 78-80
Ranger Class 502-79

you are right

Post by Guest »

CHCB wrote:I'm suspicous.

This sounds to me to be in the same vein as the weekly National Public Radio profiles of Iraq KIAs-ostensibly aimed at "honoring" our heroes, but with a subtext of eroding support for the war by the constant drumbeat of "All-American boys dying over there."

Rather than the weekly chipping away of NPR, however, this will bring the horrors of combat trauma into the living rooms of America-to what end? The publicity piece talks about "...paying tribute to the heroism of U.S. military and medical personnel..." but look also:

"...physical and emotional toll of war...unflinching and at times graphic look at the realities of war...hard-core, raw, uncut trauma...an emotional, devastating and honest account of modern-day war"

Fuck HBO, and fuck the voyeuristic masses who will be glued to their TV sets to see the blood and gore....while remaining safe and sound in their living rooms.
agree agree
Fishboy
Ranger

Re: you are right

Post by Fishboy »

Ranger Why wrote:
CHCB wrote:I'm suspicous.

agree agree
"here, here!"
WHEN IN DOUBT, SHOOT IT OUT!
Never let your fears stand in the way of your dreams.

RS 4-92
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

I also suspect the agenda, but what really surprises me is that the Army cooperated with this production. Our wounded should be honored and never be a source of entertainment or propaganda.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
CHCB
Ranger

Post by CHCB »

Ranger Bill wrote:I also suspect the agenda, but what really surprises me is that the Army cooperated with this production. Our wounded should be honored and never be a source of entertainment or propaganda.
I suspect that the ostensible focus really WILL be on the heroism of the soldiers involved, both medics and casualties. People see what they want to see, and I'm sure the DoD or DA minders who watched this and approved it saw the herosim and missed the subtext.

Or maybe I'm all wrong. But I've got a feeling.....
2nd PLT A co 1/75 78-80
Ranger Class 502-79
MrsDocMac

Post by MrsDocMac »

CHCB wrote:
Ranger Bill wrote:I also suspect the agenda, but what really surprises me is that the Army cooperated with this production. Our wounded should be honored and never be a source of entertainment or propaganda.
I suspect that the ostensible focus really WILL be on the heroism of the soldiers involved, both medics and casualties. People see what they want to see, and I'm sure the DoD or DA minders who watched this and approved it saw the herosim and missed the subtext.

Or maybe I'm all wrong. But I've got a feeling.....
Perhaps it is wishful thinking on my part but I agree with you Ranger CHCB. While the agenda of the network may be to focus on the "harsh realities of war" I am glad it isn't a flat out "liberal is the way to go" type thing. Hopefully the American public will pay no heed to to the media's mission of making the government look bad and actually watch the content. It would seem to me that as long as the reporters don't speak too much (I know, wishful thinking once again) then it truly will be a tribute to those fallen, wounded, and caring for the men and women who serve this great nation.
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

So, they're donating their proceeds to the old Veteran's home, right?

Right?

No?

Fuck them until they explode, then.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
Caruthers
Ranger

Post by Caruthers »

Call a rock a jem long enough and people call it a jem.

Put a tag on um' ............. its liberal BS
"When injustice becomes Law, resistance becomes duty"

Thomas Jefferson

Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves.”
- Norm Franz
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

If people want to be exposed to this kind of shit, the military should fly them out on a C5 to BIAP, charge them $2,500 for the flight and $2,500 for lodging and a chance to see what horrors the ER deals with at the IZ. The proceeds can go to funding for the soldiers who are missing limbs or to the college fund for the children of those who paid the ultimate sacrifice.

Combat casualties are not meant to be watched on TV, regardless for what educational or entertainment purposes the producers argue over. Those who are willing to see it, do it with their own eyes - those who aren't will never be able to comprehend what they are looking at to begin with.
Draco
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Draco »

Combat casualties are not meant to be watched on TV, regardless for what educational or entertainment purposes the producers argue over. Those who are willing to see it, do it with their own eyes - those who aren't will never be able to comprehend what they are looking at to begin with.
Damn right....one thing TV does NOT replicate is the smell...can't get that out of your head, ever.
1/10th SFG(A) Bad Toelz, FRG 85-88
Co. G/143rd INF (LRRS) 89-91
Rgr Class 6-92
Jack of all trades 92-present

"Hope and pray that you'll never need me,
But rest assured I will not let you down.
I'll walk beside you but you may not see me,
The strongest among you may not wear a crown." 3DD

Return to “The Mosh Pit”