Non-Army related Triathlon question

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Nomad
Ranger

Non-Army related Triathlon question

Post by Nomad »

Gents,

I have set myself a new personal goal and that is to complete a triathlon in the next 18 months. I am thinking that it should take me about that long to be in shape to complete it.

Does anyone have recommendations on diets, workout plans to get a beginner there and recommendations towards training objectives in route to the goal?

Also, any recommendations on a good bike are more than welcome.

Thanks.
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

12oz curls and sitting in front of a monitor work pretty well. :D
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89

noooooooooo

Post by Guest »

talk to the master CHCB
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

It will be September and I can ensure to make one marathon drinking event around that timeframe :lol:

Thanks for the info on CHCB, I'll be sending him a PM.

dick head

Post by Guest »

Fuck you and the horse you rode in on... Nooooo need to butt in here on this topic.. o yes so intense bitch you dont FUCKING KNOW INTENSE....
82d11b2p
Paratrooper

Post by 82d11b2p »

Thought of doing the same thing... just shorter time frame... would like to complete a shorter version this fall... any info would be great...

Also, wtf is up with bike prices??? Should I just go with a regular road bike? Thanks
99-02 C co 2/505 PIR
02-04 Various Texas Reserve Units

Texas Aggie '05

Current LEO
fireranger
Ranger

Post by fireranger »

Hey T, try http://www.beginnertriathlete.com - there are a lot of different plans for every fitness level.
3 rd. Plt. C Co. 2/75 1993-1997, RS 10-94 (Navigators)

But, I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to fuckin' amuse you?
CHCB
Ranger

Post by CHCB »

wmufootball wrote:A true Triathlon (2 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and a 26.2 mile run) or one of the smaller ones? When I was training for the Ironman I got some real good workouts off the web. Pretty intense though. I was training twice a day. One hour 30 min on the bike at 5 am and a 6 mile run at 4 pm for the first month. :shock: And that was training to get me in shape for the real training 2 months later. One hell of a commitment. There is also a good book called "Going Long" that is pretty helpful with nutrition, workouts etc. Good luck
Hey, bud, a "true Triathlon" is any race in which you swim, bike, run, no matter how fucking long or short it is.

By the way, Ironman swim is 2.4 miles, not 2.

Did you DO an iron distance race? Or race any triathlon at all?
2nd PLT A co 1/75 78-80
Ranger Class 502-79
CHCB
Ranger

Post by CHCB »

82d11b2p wrote:Thought of doing the same thing... just shorter time frame... would like to complete a shorter version this fall... any info would be great...

Also, wtf is up with bike prices??? Should I just go with a regular road bike? Thanks
An entry level "triathlon bike" will set you back around $1500 new (give or take a few hundred depending on brand and time of year).

You can race on a road bike (hell, you can race on a mountain bike!), it will just be a little slower. When I train on my road bike, I ride between 1 and 2 mph slower on a flat for the same perceived exertion level.

You can go faster with clip-on aero bars, but road geometery with clip-ons can put some strain on your lower back, or your upper hamstring. That said, I raced for 14 years, pretty damn competitively (top 10-15% overall with many age group victories) on a high end road frame with clipons. Toward the end of that period, I was having some issues with my hammies and lower back-but only when I was down in the aero position (as I got odler and lost a little flexibility, I guess).

Now I'm on a tri bike and my long rides are out past 4 hours and I'm still very comfortable. There is also some evidence to show that tri geometry makes T2 easier.

Triathletes are the ultimate gear nerds, however, so if you keep your eyes and ears open, you can score a good deal. Even on our little compound here, one guy gave up racing, sold his $4000 Griffen for $2000 (plus a hard case), and the guy who bought it sold his QR Kilo for $750 ($1200 retail).
2nd PLT A co 1/75 78-80
Ranger Class 502-79
82d11b2p
Paratrooper

Post by 82d11b2p »

Thanks for the answer... As I thought, just gonna have to find a way to get a bike... but for now I'll settle with a road bike until I start to get competive...
99-02 C co 2/505 PIR

Texas Aggie '05

Current LEO
CHCB
Ranger

Post by CHCB »

82d11b2p wrote:Thanks for the answer... As I thought, just gonna have to find a way to get a bike... but for now I'll settle with a road bike until I start to get competive...
As a good friend of mine observed, the cheapest way to get a lighter bike is to lose a few pounds!
2nd PLT A co 1/75 78-80
Ranger Class 502-79
82d11b2p
Paratrooper

Post by 82d11b2p »

CHCB wrote:
82d11b2p wrote:Thanks for the answer... As I thought, just gonna have to find a way to get a bike... but for now I'll settle with a road bike until I start to get competive...
As a good friend of mine observed, the cheapest way to get a lighter bike is to lose a few pounds!
How true...LOL
I've read that the difference a tri bike and a road bike is about 5-10 minutes... so I'll do a couple of races and see if that amount of time will make a huge difference as far as where I place...
99-02 C co 2/505 PIR

Texas Aggie '05

Current LEO
CHCB
Ranger

Post by CHCB »

82d11b2p wrote:
CHCB wrote:
How true...LOL
I've read that the difference a tri bike and a road bike is about 5-10 minutes... so I'll do a couple of races and see if that amount of time will make a huge difference as far as where I place...
That is absolutely the best way to go. My own rule of thumb for gear was not to buy some new gadget (wetsuit, tri bike, disc wheel) until nobody was finishing ahead of me without it (I still don't have a disc wheel for that very reason!).

My advice to aspiring triathletes:

Swim with swimmers.
Ride with cyclists.
Run with runners.
Rehearse transitions over and over.
Never experiment on race day.
2nd PLT A co 1/75 78-80
Ranger Class 502-79

Return to “About Army Physical Training”