Eye sight for Batt/SF

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
PO
Embryo

Eye sight for Batt/SF

Post by PO »

I have amblioplia and 20/200 vision and I am enlisting as a 45B because I could not even get an Infantry job. My question is what are the eyesight requirements for Rangers and/or SF. Thank you.
DJB
Ranger

Post by DJB »

20/200 correctable to what? I know you didn’t get in if that was you corrected eyesight.

Paragraph 2-13 AR40-501 standards of medical fitness. paragraph 5-3 are the additional requirements for Ranger school which Bn follows as well.

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/d ... 040219.pdf

g. Eyes and vision.
(1) Paragraphs 2–12 and 2–13 with exceptions noted below.
(2) For Airborne and Ranger training: Distant visual acuity of any degree that does not correct to at least 20/20 in
one eye and 20/100 in the other eye within 8 diopters of plus or minus refractive error, with spectacle lenses.
(3) For Special Forces training: Distant visual acuity of any degree that does not correct to 20/20 in both eyes with
spectacle lenses. Any refractive error in spherical equivalent of worse than plus or minus 8 diopters.
Aco1/75 Rgr 92-98, class 3/94, 300F1 5/95
Instructor Medical OBC, 99-00, 143rd LRSD (TXNG) 00-03.
Contractor Physician JBLM 2010-

Jihadists have no means by which to destroy the institutions of our society, while the Congressman does.

http://www.lifesharers.org/
PO
Embryo

Post by PO »

Ranger Bustedkidney, On my paperwork it is correctable to 20/150 if I remember right. But the doctor Meps sent me out to said glasses wouldn't really help me. It is hard to tell because both my eyes track perfectly. Does that answer you question. Thank you.

also if I am reading that right than my chances of going to Batt or SF are very bad?
DJB
Ranger

Post by DJB »

also if I am reading that right than my chances of going to Batt or SF are very bad?
Yup, sorry.
Aco1/75 Rgr 92-98, class 3/94, 300F1 5/95
Instructor Medical OBC, 99-00, 143rd LRSD (TXNG) 00-03.
Contractor Physician JBLM 2010-

Jihadists have no means by which to destroy the institutions of our society, while the Congressman does.

http://www.lifesharers.org/
PO
Embryo

Post by PO »

:cry: FUCK! Well thank you Ranger Bustedkidney.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

PO wrote:Ranger Bustedkidney, On my paperwork it is correctable to 20/150 if I remember right. But the doctor Meps sent me out to said glasses wouldn't really help me. It is hard to tell because both my eyes track perfectly. Does that answer you question. Thank you.

RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
PO
Embryo

Post by PO »

Silverback wrote:
PO wrote:Ranger Bustedkidney, On my paperwork it is correctable to 20/150 if I remember right. But the doctor Meps sent me out to said glasses wouldn't really help me. It is hard to tell because both my eyes track perfectly. Does that answer you question. Thank you.

Your such an encouraging man Ranger Silverback.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

PO wrote:
Silverback wrote:

Your such an encouraging man Ranger Silverback.
I hear that from my Troopers everyday. I should receive a pay stipend called "Encouragement pay". STFU!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
surferchad122

Post by surferchad122 »

bustedkidney wrote:20/200 correctable to what? I know you didn’t get in if that was you corrected eyesight.

Paragraph 2-13 AR40-501 standards of medical fitness. paragraph 5-3 are the additional requirements for Ranger school which Bn follows as well.

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/d ... 040219.pdf

g. Eyes and vision.
(1) Paragraphs 2–12 and 2–13 with exceptions noted below.
(2) For Airborne and Ranger training: Distant visual acuity of any degree that does not correct to at least 20/20 in
one eye and 20/100 in the other eye within 8 diopters of plus or minus refractive error, with spectacle lenses.
(3) For Special Forces training: Distant visual acuity of any degree that does not correct to 20/20 in both eyes with
spectacle lenses. Any refractive error in spherical equivalent of worse than plus or minus 8 diopters.

So am I reading this right? I have 20/20 in one eye and my other is correctable to about 20/50 with a lens. If this information is correct AND complete, then I should pass the vision requirements for ranger/airborne, but not SF, am I right? I also have a slight cataract and astigmatism, but neither of which are listed in the information above.

I guess my question is, it has been my goal for a long time to become a Ranger, and I always wanted to go SF, but if my eyes don't permit it, then I guess I will pursue being a Ranger. I just want to know, prior to enlistment if I'll be elligible to get a fasttrack to Airborne and Ranger school, given my conditions...

Is anyone familiar with this stuff? Thanks!
surferchad122

Post by surferchad122 »

I sure hope all vets aren't as rude and pissed off at life as you are. :P
91W
USAR

Post by 91W »

surferchad122 wrote:I sure hope all vets aren't as rude and pissed off at life as you are. :P
You haven't seen rude and pissed off yet. Go post an intro.
"If you cannot accomplish great things, Accomplish small things in a great way"

"A Goal is a dream with a deadline"

USAR 1995-2005
OIF 2004-2005
91W
NREMT
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

surferchad122 wrote:I sure hope all vets aren't as rude and pissed off at life as you are. :P
You need to watch your step, this isn't yahoo or myspace.

Go do what SFC H8R said and post an intro in the proper forum. And while your at it get an avatar, those are site rules.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
surferchad122

Post by surferchad122 »

OK. I did the intro. I got the avatar. Sorry I didn't read that link, I signed up specifically to ask a question on this thread, so when I signed up I just continued in this specific thread without seeing any other requirements after I signed up.

Can anyone answer my initial question now?

Return to “Medical Issues”