Back Injury

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

LN: How goes things at Bragg after having that surgery? I'm fairly certain I'm having what you are having.

Ranger Bill: No myotherapists in this area. I'm still going in for the deep-tissue massage, that stuff is better than anything else I've done. Afterwards I go to the gym and hang in the knee-up chair to uncompress the lower back, and then go for a soak in the hot tub, and some stretching.

Thanks everyone for all the support/info.
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Good luckand I hope for the best for you.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
msg_dman
Ranger

Post by msg_dman »

I had a spinal dyscectomy on the L5-S1, had pain shooting down back of left leg. After the surgery I was fine. I went on to do rucking and jumping. I got 20% for it when I got out. PM me if you have any specific questions because it sounds like you have exactly what I did.
Ranger Class # 12-89
Merrills PSG 89-90
C/Co 4th RTB 90-92
USASOC Ft Bragg 01-06
Retired 1 Feb 2006

In Memory of 1LT Ben Hall - KIA 31 July 2007
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

Well, I'm off to the hospital at 0630 and am now officially on the "can't drink, can't eat" orders. I'm #2 on my doctor's caselist tomorrow, and expect I'll be out of surgery by noon or earlier, but who knows.
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Good luck!
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Ardent Lady
Tadpole

Post by Ardent Lady »

Hope it goes well, Firefinder. Keep us posted as you're able.
Reverend Mother of the Church of The Yellow River

The ultimate effect of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Dang, all this talk about backs and now mine went while I was at work on Sunday. Couldn't get out of bed for work Monday and still can't stand up or sit down or move around without a cane. I have a weightlifter belt on for support which seems to help and on a secret stash of serious pain killer until my Dr. appt.
Ardent Lady
Tadpole

Post by Ardent Lady »

RTO wrote:Dang, all this talk about backs and now mine went while I was at work on Sunday. Couldn't get out of bed for work Monday and still can't stand up or sit down or move around without a cane. I have a weightlifter belt on for support which seems to help and on a secret stash of serious pain killer until my Dr. appt.
Sorry to hear you're on profile Ranger RTO. Get better soon so no one takes it into their head to take you out back and shoot ya...
Reverend Mother of the Church of The Yellow River

The ultimate effect of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Ardent Lady wrote:
RTO wrote:Dang, all this talk about backs and now mine went while I was at work on Sunday. Couldn't get out of bed for work Monday and still can't stand up or sit down or move around without a cane. I have a weightlifter belt on for support which seems to help and on a secret stash of serious pain killer until my Dr. appt.
Sorry to hear you're on profile Ranger RTO. Get better soon so no one takes it into their head to take you out back and shoot ya...
Thanks A/L, nice to see someone cares! :shock: :lol:
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

Well, I am home from the hospital. I had to be there at 7AM even though my surgical appointment wasn't until 10:30, so it was kind of a long morning. Went into surgery about 10:30, came to in the recovery room about 12:30, and it wasn't until 1400 that I was moved to my room. Back hurts quite a bit around the incision, the doc said he really had a lot of scar tissue to remove from around the nerve. It has been messed up for a while.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Good luck on recovery and do post-op physical therapy like it's a new religion. Keep the SITREPS coming.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

Thanks everyone, I can truthfully say at this point I consider the surgery successful. I've had almost total relief of the pain and loss of strength I was experiencing before the surgery. I'm still moving very deliberately, as the incision site and surrounding muscles are very sore from all the digging around the surgeon had to do.

I had to get evaluated by a physical therapist and occupational therapist before I could get discharged, and was climbing stairs, and walking around with not too much difficulty, so the PT person said I was good. The occupational therapy folks were another story. They kept telling me about all these assistive devices I could get, like raised toilet seats and other nonsense, and I'm like "I'm not even 40, I don't need a bunch of geriatric-oriented stuff, go find some blue-haired person that needs that crap, I aim to be 100% in 3 months" while acknowledging that it DOES require a lifestyle change, and I HAVE to get my back rehabbed, and drop those extra pounds so I don't see the surgeon again for a fusion at some point in the future.

I swore to the nursing staff that I hadn't had a decent nights sleep in 5 weeks, so don't come in checking my pulse every hour or so during the night. Turns out, what with all the cat naps I was having due to the pain meds, and watching King Kong on my laptop, that I didn't sleep but about 4 hours all night. It was also a good thing the wife brought some food with her for me, because 2 hours out of surgery and in my room, I was begging for something to eat, and she busted out the peanuts and a diet pepsi for me while waiting on the powers that be to decide how long it takes to fetch me a turkey sandwich.
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

Nope, they didn't use a catheter, but I had to piss a ton with them giving me IV fluids. And I had to use the damn portable urinal so they could measure output while I was on the IV.

In the last 24 hours I've probably had 11 hours of sleep, which is a damn lot considering I was waking up every hour to an hour and a half before the surgery. I can't lay on my back all that comfortably, even with pillows under my knees, etc. due to the incision site pain. It is getting better. I just have to be patient.

Return to “Medical Issues”