Seeking advice

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
jd0328
Embryo

Seeking advice

Post by jd0328 »

Let me begin by stating that my dilemna is my age; whenever I decide for my ship date to be, I will be 26(I'm thinking I'll enter DEP and request ship date of Jan '05 since I don't want to start OSUT and then have to break for xmas in the middle of training). I want the Option 40, like all other newcomers here, but I also want to go SF. Originally I had planned to enlist under 11X Option 40, but I'm not sure I would be able to get accepted into SF before my 30th birthday. I was told that because of my education background I could probably get 18X coming in with no problem. The recruiter here that is a Ranger is on leave for two weeks so I wanted to see if anyone here could give me some advice.

Because I am unfamiliar with how the time frames would work, would it even be possible for me to get into SFAS before I pass the age limit if I enlist under an 11X Option 40 contract? Three years seems like it would be cutting it close, if not passing the age limit, when taking into consideration training and assignment to a unit. I'd like to have a solid foundation before going SF, but I don't want to get barred because of time if I choose the wrong enlistment contract for what I eventually want.

Also, I've looked around and can't find any age restrictions for Ranger School, unlike for SF. Is that because there isn't an age limit like there is with SF or do I deserve a board smoking for not finding it?
jd0328
Embryo

Post by jd0328 »

Well, as I've read here in multiple threads, many Rangers do go on to join SF. I've also read how difficult both the Ranger and SF paths are. I would much rather prefer to get years of experience with a Ranger unit and give myself a strong foundation in military life and tactics before going for SF(as opposed to diving in head first as a civilian). I know that they train and prepare you with difficult training and courses, but my own preference would be to get some solid, actual experience with a great Ranger unit first. That's all it is- my personal preference. However, if I am forced to choose I would like to know what my options are for each enlistment path.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Going to serve in the Ranger Regiment first is a good way to go. And if you REALLY like it, you don't have to go anywhere. On the other hand, Special Forces is it's own CMF (Career Management Field) and once you are there, because it is a shortage MOS field, it is often more difficult to leave it for another CMF than it was to get into it.
Currahee 3-4
Tadpole

Post by Currahee 3-4 »

Ranger Spartan from your experience wouldnt it be extremely difficult to go in as a cherry and make it in SF.Personally i think it puts you too far behind the 8 ball.I think i'd much rather go Ranger then see what happen.

But thats just my 2 cents
A co 1/506th 91-92
1/327,2/327 92-94

From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.
Nyte Raider

Post by Nyte Raider »

Well, i'm not sure if my opinion is wanted, however- know that both paths are extremely difficult. You have to look at what YOU want. No one here can tell you that, if you want to be a Ranger like so many of us wanna-bes, you had better want it more than anything. Not speaking from personal experience(yet, hopefully) but from word of mouth from Rangers i've spoken with, they're going to smoke you in RIP. They're going to try to mentally break you. And if you are looking at getting to a Ranger Reg. as a way of getting to SF then chances are, mentally, you will break down. Not because you're weak or not mentally tough, but because you dont want it as much as it seems you want to be SF.

Also- As far as learning goes- I'm sure they'd much rather have a fresh piece of slab to work with. In my experience- its much harder to teach someone with prior knowledge because it will usually conflict with whatever they had been taught before. There ends up being a lot of, "well, i had done it this way.." 's. If you go in "untainted", so to speak, you may actually absorb the knowledge a bit better. Also, at your age, being more mature than an immature, younger cherry next to you will help and you could come out a leader.

Just something to think about. Whichever path you take, Good luck.

Never Surrender.
- Randy out-
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Nyte Raider wrote:Well, i'm not sure if my opinion is wanted, however- know that both paths are extremely difficult. You have to look at what YOU want. No one here can tell you that, if you want to be a Ranger like so many of us wanna-bes, you had better want it more than anything. Not speaking from personal experience(yet, hopefully) but from word of mouth from Rangers i've spoken with, they're going to smoke you in RIP. They're going to try to mentally break you. And if you are looking at getting to a Ranger Reg. as a way of getting to SF then chances are, mentally, you will break down. Not because you're weak or not mentally tough, but because you dont want it as much as it seems you want to be SF.

Also- As far as learning goes- I'm sure they'd much rather have a fresh piece of slab to work with. In my experience- its much harder to teach someone with prior knowledge because it will usually conflict with whatever they had been taught before. There ends up being a lot of, "well, i had done it this way.." 's. If you go in "untainted", so to speak, you may actually absorb the knowledge a bit better. Also, at your age, being more mature than an immature, younger cherry next to you will help and you could come out a leader.

Never Surrender.
- Randy out-
Hey dumbass, is your name Ranger Spartan?

I've talked to my mechanic before about why my car was not performing well but I sure in the fuck would not give anyone advice on whether they should tune up their engine, adjust their valves, or have their carb rebuilt.

Just shut the fuck up since you are giving a completely uninformed opinion from third party sources and the whole purpose of this site is to have first person resources available to those who would like to hear something from a voice with some experience behind it. That doesn't include you, does is stud? So shut the fuck up!
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Currahee 3-4 wrote:Ranger Spartan from your experience wouldnt it be extremely difficult to go in as a cherry and make it in SF. Personally i think it puts you too far behind the 8 ball. I think i'd much rather go Ranger then see what happen.

But thats just my 2 cents
Well, let me put it this way - Both the Ranger Regiment and Special Forces are part of US Special Operations Command. Both units use many of the same techniques and equipment in conducting basic infantry missions, medicine, communications, transportation, etc... Those who come from a Ranger background have a well-established mind-set to never fail in their mission and have well-established credentials in the skills used for SFAS - mainly strong for roadmarching, land-nav and PT. Working with the same equipment, using some of the same techniques and having strong skills which are needed for entry level SF soldiers are things that make the transition for those who come from the Ranger Regiment and volunteer to SF an easy transition.

Having said that, there are major differences between the SF mission itself and the Ranger mission, which is more oriented towards direct action. There is nothing wrong with being a Ranger first, unlike what the jackass who posted before me suggested. You do not develop 'bad habits' in the Ranger Regiment that will cause you to be unsuccessful as an SF soldier. There are a whole lot of people in SF who started out as Rangers.

I hope this answers your question.
Nyte Raider

Post by Nyte Raider »

Spartan wrote:
Nyte Raider wrote:Well, i'm not sure if my opinion is wanted, however- know that both paths are extremely difficult. You have to look at what YOU want. No one here can tell you that, if you want to be a Ranger like so many of us wanna-bes, you had better want it more than anything. Not speaking from personal experience(yet, hopefully) but from word of mouth from Rangers i've spoken with, they're going to smoke you in RIP. They're going to try to mentally break you. And if you are looking at getting to a Ranger Reg. as a way of getting to SF then chances are, mentally, you will break down. Not because you're weak or not mentally tough, but because you dont want it as much as it seems you want to be SF.

Never Surrender.
- Randy out-
Hey dumbass, is your name Ranger Spartan?

I've talked to my mechanic before about why my car was not performing well but I sure in the fuck would not give anyone advice on whether they should tune up their engine, adjust their valves, or have their carb rebuilt.

Just shut the fuck up since you are giving a completely uninformed opinion from third party sources and the whole purpose of this site is to have first person resources available to those who would like to hear something from a voice with some experience behind it. That doesn't include you, does is stud? So shut the fuck up!
Ranger Spartan- I wasn't replying to Currahee 3-4's Thread to you. I was replying to the other Newt. He didnt, in his topic or his thread, ask soley the Rangers for advice, just advice altogether. Nor did I offer up specific knowledge as if I have been there, Do they smoke you in RIP? Yes, thats common knowledge. Are both extremely difficult paths to take? Yes, thats also common knowledge. If you re-read what I wrote you'll see that I didn't claim to have first hand experience at being SF or a Ranger.Infact, I said the opposite. I said that teaching someone how to do something is easier when they have no prior knowledge. I teach people things on a daily basis, thats what I do in my job, thats what experience i'm posting from as far as my opinion. I wont apologize for the above post or for offering up my advice, because I broke no rule in the forum guidelines, and I disrespected no Ranger. However, I will say that I was out of line in assuming what the SF instructors look for in a wannabe. That, I don't know and pulled from my ass.
He can look at my Av and see that it doesn't say "Ranger" in the tagline, so he knows where the advice/opinion is coming from. Its his choice to take it or to piss on it. He asked for all the opinions and I replied to the thread.
Nyte Raider

Post by Nyte Raider »

Spartan wrote:Having said that, there are major differences between the SF mission itself and the Ranger mission, which is more oriented towards direct action. There is nothing wrong with being a Ranger first, unlike what the jackass who posted before me suggested. You do not develop 'bad habits' in the Ranger Regiment that will cause you to be unsuccessful as an SF soldier. There are a whole lot of people in SF who started out as Rangers.

I hope this answers your question.
Ranger Spartan- I also did not say that you develop "bad habits" in a Ranger Regiment. I said that it is difficult to teach someone previously trained in a certain way, to do the same action a new way. Nothing about bad habits.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Nyte Raider wrote: Ranger Spartan- I wasn't replying to Currahee 3-4's Thread to you. I was replying to the other Newt. He didnt, in his topic or his thread, ask soley the Rangers for advice, just advice altogether. Nor did I offer up specific knowledge as if I have been there, Do they smoke you in RIP? Yes, thats common knowledge. Are both extremely difficult paths to take? Yes, thats also common knowledge. If you re-read what I wrote you'll see that I didn't claim to have first hand experience at being SF or a Ranger.Infact, I said the opposite. I said that teaching someone how to do something is easier when they have no prior knowledge. I teach people things on a daily basis, thats what I do in my job, thats what experience i'm posting from as far as my opinion. I wont apologize for the above post or for offering up my advice, because I broke no rule in the forum guidelines, and I disrespected no Ranger. However, I will say that I was out of line in assuming what the SF instructors look for in a wannabe. That, I don't know and pulled from my ass.
He can look at my Av and see that it doesn't say "Ranger" in the tagline, so he knows where the advice/opinion is coming from. Its his choice to take it or to piss on it. He asked for all the opinions and I replied to the thread.
BLAH BLAH FUCKING BLAH!

Look, you are a know-nothing on this site. When it comes to answering questions about soldiering PERIOD, you will STFU as you are NOT a soldier, nor have you been a soldier.

Am a getting though to you yet, or do I need Ranger Luna to go stand by the exit line of the water treatment facility with a garbage bag to catch you as you come slithering through the pipe and a couple of heavy bricks to make sure you don't surface here again? Cause I will fucking flush your ass right out of here if you ever again give advice on soldiering before you have soldiered.

Do you understand me this time?

Note - your response requires about 3-5 words. Anything longer and we'll all wish you well.
Nyte Raider

Post by Nyte Raider »

Spartan wrote:BLAH BLAH FUCKING BLAH!

Look, you are a know-nothing on this site. When it comes to answering questions about soldiering PERIOD, you will STFU as you are NOT a soldier, nor have you been a soldier.

Am a getting though to you yet, or do I need Ranger Luna to go stand by the exit line of the water treatment facility with a garbage bag to catch you as you come slithering through the pipe and a couple of heavy bricks to make sure you don't surface here again? Cause I will fucking flush your ass right out of here if you ever again give advice on soldiering before you have soldiered.

Do you understand me this time?
Ranger Spartan- If you don't want me to post advice in the forum. Thats fine, it wont be done again. In which case, I might suggest that you make a rule that no Newt or DEP reply to another Newt/Dep's thread in any of these forums pertaining to the asking of advice, so that similiar situations can be avoided.
However, In this thread, I didn't give advice on soldiering to the kid. I violated no policy, replied in a thread where the author asked for advice from all parties, and didn't claim to be a Soldier or have experience. So I wont apologize or kiss any ass for the post I made. I replied to you with respect and courtesy, and didn't bad mouth you or disrespect you in the least bit. If you feel that calls for a flushing, then thats your decision to make. I'll hold no grudge either way.

Thanks for your time.
-Randy-

Edit- Posted before I saw the 3-4 words that you suggest I use.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Nyte Raider wrote:Edit- Posted before I saw the 3-4 words that you suggest I use.
Are you seriously that fucking stupid? Instead of editing it to add your smart-assed comment or factoid to the end of your 125 word post, you should have deleted the whole thing and said - 'Yes, I understand'. END OF STORY.

You know, when I was a young newbie Ranger (We're talking about I had passed RIP and was newly assigned to 2/75) and someone above me said I ought to do something, or suggested 'it would be a good idea if you guys did xxx', we fucking did it or our ass was smoked.

Yet you think you can come onto this site and fuck around, giving smarmy assed responses to Rangers here? And you think you'd like to be a Ranger someday?

Do you think I want to read through your pointless drivel of an argument about why you want to argue your way out of a paper bag because you don't have the good sense to SHUT THE FUCK UP already and heed the advice given to you?

You must have forgotten that the Rangers here own this site and you are our fucking guest. Do you make it a practice to argue with people in their own homes? Where did you learn your weak-assed manners?

We don't have time for amateur hour here. There are serious young men who visit this site and they are serious about their future. We in turn, are serious about giving them good guidance, accurate information and compelling reasons for them to motivate themselves. They have no time, or patience to wade through endless amounts of drivel posted by people who don't have a fucking clue what they are talking about.

We'll see how soon we will decide to reactive your account and if you decide if you even want to be here afterwards. For now, you may want to re-read through the site SOPs and posts to see what guidance it gives you about running your mouth all over the site about shit you know nothing about first-hand.

Now, I want to hear from the rest of you DEPs, NEWTs, etc.... - was it really hard to understand my point? Did it require extensive 'reading between the lines'? Shouldn't someone with at least a 110 GT score understand what I was saying here?
Ranger
Ranger/Admin

Post by Ranger »

Final Disposition: Banned.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

jd0328-Welcome to the site.

The rest of you fucking DEPs/Newts better take a good look at this thread. Think to yourself, Do I have a better chance of making it through RIP and to Batt with or without the help from the Rangers at armyranger.com?

If you don't have first hand experience, SHUT YOUR FUCKING MOUTH. This was not a question a DEPshit should have even attempted to answer.

If it pertains to the military, and you haven't made it through RIP, you prolly shouldn't answer.

If it pertains to

1. Jacking off
2. Coasting through life
3. Watching MTV

Feel free to answer. But keep in mind whatever you little fuckers have done, WE have at least twice to 6 times the experience that you do at it.

We don't ask a lot out of you. Read and LEARN. Thus endeth the sermon.

Return to “Recruitment Process”