Finished RIP, Graduated (Class 06-06) *Added Pics*

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
cdwdirect
Ranger

Finished RIP, Graduated (Class 06-06) *Added Pics*

Post by cdwdirect »

Rangers,

Ryan655 and I woke up at 0515 this morning to start the long-dreamed of last day of RIP: Graduation. I can't tell you how many times I told myself, "I've gotta make that final formation." And suddenly it was upon me. We ate MREs for breakfast. :lol:

It is good for DEP'ers to wonder whether they have what it takes to be a Ranger. It is OK to be scared of failing RIP - I certainly was ... all the way back into Basic training. When I volunteered myself for service I was physically unprepared for pretty much everything. My first PT test score was an abysmal 179. I knew that was bullshit, that I was capable of a LOT more with the right conditioning, so I poured myself into it. I sucked at pushups and struggled to do one pull-up when I got started. By the end of OSUT I could knock out ten dead-hang pull-ups, and I scored a 251 on my PT test. I still felt completely inadequate, and kept the pressure on myself over exodus and during Airborne. If I can make it, I know that any healthy red-blooded male with proper motivation can do the same. Don't believe any of the hype or "private talk" you'll hear once you're in training.

But if you suck at PT, for God's sake... GET SCARED, and GET STRONGER! :twisted: PT works every time it's tried.

RIP is hard, but not impossible. Most everyone who failed did because they wanted something else more than they wanted to be a Ranger. You're always tempted to "make the bad man stop," or fall out and sit on your ass while everyone else is sucking, but you have to keep pressing on through the smoke to the daily training and ultimately to the tests and graduation. There are only a few times where you're like, "Goddamn! That was BAD!" ... the rest of the time it's just physically straining, and the time hacks and stress suck. We never did anything like "boot run until someone quits" or anything that I would consider "unfair." If anything, RIP is unfairly fair because you can re-test any required event, or recycle to a new class and fail, and then RE-TRY again. You get FOUR chances at every required event.

Still, being a first-time go at every station is greatly preferred. Wouldn't want to do Cole Range again... whew. IT SUCKED. Hitting the woodline didn't hold a candle to "hitting the pond." LORD I hated that damn cold muddy slog. But only a selfish bastard would really consider quitting (Cole Range or elsewhere) because you never suffer alone. To your left and right, every man there is pressing towards the same goal, getting the same ridiculous commands, and trying their best to satisfy them. They're all soaked, sore, freezing, pissed off, and exhausted. Do you want to volunteer yourself as the weakest, the least concerned with obedience? Right on. They can make it suck harder, but you can steel yourself and hang in, if you want it.

I'm with my dad now. He drove 14 hours to see his son don a tan beret and join the ranks of the US Army Airborne Rangers. I can't believe I made it. I feel a huge sense of accomplishment, even as my objectives and concerns shift to larger and more difficult challenges emerging ahead. I am happy! 8) And so, my Army career truly and finally begins.

Thank you Rangers, especially Ranger EarthPig, for all of your support and encouragement. Your words continually returned to me over these last six months as whips to drive me on, and totems to mark my progress. Today's RIP class graduation is our shared achievement.

-cdwdirect
Last edited by cdwdirect on March 24th, 2006, 10:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2/75, COCKS

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -Steve McQueen
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

Hell YEAH. 8)
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

I have to say, Brother, I probably enjoyed reading your SITREPs more than any I've received. You started out as a bit of an UnderDog, and you wanted it bad enough....down to the core....that you hung tough and completed the mission. That, my friend, is what being a Ranger is all about. The bond that you share with those "men to your left and right" will remain forever. You now share that same bond with each of us who have stood there before you. You'll soon begin to see just how special this Brotherhood is.

Again, I'm extremely proud of you and your classmates. Let's get you guys verified, so I can have the honor of putting the RANGER title next to your names.

Good luck at Battalion. It's going to be hard, but you've shown that you have intestinal fortitude. Prove to your squad members what you proved to the RIP Cadre. You're now one of the very best. Hooah!

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
IDon'tCare
Ranger

Post by IDon'tCare »

Congratulations Ranger.
A co 2/75 80-84
Ranger class 12-82
SERE Instructor class 1-83

Mentor to Prodigy922 / KW12 / whiskeytango
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

Congrats.

Welcome to the real world.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
Gordo173
Ranger

Post by Gordo173 »

Welcome RANGER!

Now the suck really starts.

Good job!
Wpns/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
1/1/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
C,HHC,D/3-6(INF)(Mech)
HHC/2-504 PIR
A/1-504 PIR
HHC/1-82(ABN)
Oopps almost forgot Class 4-84

"Always with the negative waves Moriarity!"
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

gordo173 wrote:Welcome RANGER!

Now the suck really starts.

Good job!
Ditto the FOG!
SmileyTFJ

Post by SmileyTFJ »

Congratulations Ranger CDWDirect!
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Awesome job! You truly are one of the world's VERY BEST fighting soldiers now.
I'm proud of your achievement!
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Congratulations Ranger CDWDirect! Outstanding job on your sitrep! You have a good sense of what happened and what is to come. To say stay focused, motivated and drive on would not be required but I will because it makes me feel better!

Stay focused, motivated and drive on!

Welcome to the Rangers.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Good Job Ranger
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
ma91c1an
Triple Canopy

Post by ma91c1an »

Good job, brother.

From a fellow underdog.

:)
-------
Classes 12, 13, and 14-81.
Company A, 2d Battalion (Ranger), 1st Platoon, "Bad 'Muthers," 1980-1984;
SFQC 4-84.
Company B, 2d Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), ODA 151, 1984-1986.
Splat
Ranger

Post by Splat »

Awesome sitrep Ranger! Congratulations and welcome.
-Splat
HHC 3/22 (88 - 92)
C co 3/75 (93 - 94)
Ranger Class 1-90

Return to “Letters from School”