Its time

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
cycluraman
Soldier

Its time

Post by cycluraman »

Hello all,
Well I finally got things going, I am going to get my physical and sign my contract on Thursday. I am very excited to have this opportunity and wont leave without an option 40 on my contract. Thanks for all the info. about what is involved in becoming a Ranger.:D
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

God shit.

Post a SITREP when you get back from MEPS.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Its time

Post by AbnRgr289 »

cycluraman wrote:Hello all,
Well I finally got things going, I am going to get my physical and sign my contract on Thursday. I am very excited to have this opportunity and wont leave without an option 40 on my contract. Thanks for all the info. about what is involved in becoming a Ranger.:D
Sounds good.

You need to go get an avatar.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
cycluraman
Soldier

Post by cycluraman »

Sounds good I wont have acsess to a computer till monday night (at my parents house is where its at.)I will get you a SITREP ASAP on Monday to hopefully have DEP news for everybody.
cycluraman
Soldier

Post by cycluraman »

I went to MEPS and passed everything but the blood pressure test. I have never had high blood pressure before. I am 6'2 and 167 pounds so weight isnt a issue, I eat pretty well and excersise so i dont know whats up. I was sick acouple of days before MEPS and was drinking alot of Gatorade (Too much sodium intake?) Well needless to say this hasent crushed my dreams of getting an option 40. I need a wavier and will be seeing my doctor tomarrow and have to pass 3 blood pressure tests and then I will be all good. Every thing else at MEPS went good. so this is the only thing in my way. I will post a SITREP after tommarows appointment.
By the way it was 146 over 90.
Thanks Josh :? :? :? :? :?
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

cycluraman wrote:By the way it was 146 over 90.
That is too much. Make sure you get a good nights rest before you go.

Damn I'm 46 and I have 110/70 to 120/80. Also stay relaxed when they do it. Control your breathing.

Good luck.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: ,

Post by Jim »

Chiron wrote:
cycluraman wrote:By the way it was 146 over 90.
That is too much. Make sure you get a good nights rest before you go.

Damn I'm 46 and I have 110/70 to 120/80. Also stay relaxed when they do it. Control your breathing.

Good luck.
And (I know this sounds strange), be sure you keep both feet on the floor -- don't cross your legs... and ask them to take the BP on both arms. When you get old, you learn all manner of techniques.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
66G_RN
Vet/ Ranger Wife/ Sister

Post by 66G_RN »

Here's some info that might be helpful. It's just stuff I've learned over 2 decades of assessing baseline blood pressures, which is what they are doing at MEPS.

Your BP tends to be higher when you are not feeling good.

Use the same arm whenever your blood pressure is taken. Note that many digital monitors are meant for use only on the left arm.

Avoid food, caffeine, tobacco and alcohol for 30 minutes before taking a measurement.

Go to the bathroom first. A full bladder can increase blood pressure slightly.

Sit quietly for three to five minutes before taking a measurement.

Sit in a comfortable position with your legs and ankles uncrossed and your back supported against a chair.

Rest your arm, raised to the level of your heart, on a table, desk or chair arm. You may need to place a pillow or cushion under your arm to elevate it high enough.

Don't talk while your blood pressure is assessed.

The cuff needs to be on bare skin, not over clothing. Rolling up a sleeve until it tightens around your arm can result in an inaccurate reading, so you may need to slip your arm out of the sleeve.

I have to mention that I often have to move to a larger cuff because when you you assess a BP on someone with a large upper arm circumference with a regular adult BP cuff, it falsely elevates one's BP. However at 6'2" and 165#, I doubt you have bodybuilder huge arms and a regular adult cuff is probably okay for you.

Blood pressure varies throughout the day, and readings are often a little higher in the morning. Then again you may have been simply nervous too.

Blood pressure may be slightly higher — usually less than 5 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) — in your dominant arm. For example, if you're left-handed, your left arm may have a slightly higher reading than your right arm. A difference of more than 10 mm Hg in one arm may be a sign of an underlying problem and should be evaluated by a doctor.

Anyway hope that helps. Good luck.
Army Nurse Corps 89-98
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

Hell I need those tips myself.

Been off and on Bp meds for a little over a year now. Long story.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

cycluraman wrote:Sounds good I wont have acsess to a computer till monday night (at my parents house is where its at.)I will get you a SITREP ASAP on Monday to hopefully have DEP news for everybody.
This shit is getting my blood pressure up fuck stick. You address all Rangers on this site as "Ranger". We are not your fucking friends dick.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
cycluraman
Soldier

Post by cycluraman »

Rangers and 66G RN,
Thanks for the tips and your kind words :) . I took two readings today and got a 122 over 80 and a 136 over 82. I have to have one more for the wavier. (Thursday I have an appointment) One question I have is will me having to getting this waver affect me getting an option 40 on my contract? I scored 1s in the rest of the tests.
Thanks Josh
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

hit_it wrote:Hell I need those tips myself.

If you have prescribed drugs, for GRITS sake, take them. I've been on medication for more than 10 years and my BP has been controlled.

...and I'm serious as a heart attack about this!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
66G_RN
Vet/ Ranger Wife/ Sister

Post by 66G_RN »

hit_it wrote:Hell I need those tips myself.

Glad they were helpful, SFC hit_it.
Army Nurse Corps 89-98
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Probably nothing more than a case of nerves. Yoiu've gotten some great advice - thanks for asking because several of us are benefitting from the replies., especially our nurses' answer.
I learned the hard way not to spend the time waiting your turn by drinking gallons of coffee :oops:
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
cycluraman
Soldier

Post by cycluraman »

Hello Rangers,
I got my option 40! It took only three trips down to meps. I also had to sign a statement saying that if I fail the physical down at Benning or the airborne portion (Which they gave me at meps and I passed)I would give up my bonus and go to the needs of the Army. I am confident that the my Bp readings are ok. I have taken them numerous times since then and they are all between 120 and 130 over 80. I leave for basic on the 24th and am very happy that I kept pushing for my option40 even after they said there was no way. Thanks for all of the Info. It has helped me to get the chance to do something that means the world to me, becoming a Ranger.
Thanks Josh :D

Return to “Recruitment Process”