did ya ever eat Sushi?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

did ya ever eat Sushi?

Post by Steadfast »

I jes tried it this past week. 1 of the Chinese Restaurants I visit also serves Sushi. I tried it back in '98 down south but not since then. I was lookin at a take out menus and see this:

So I look up and down and order. 1 Sushi Lunch $6.95. Looks innocent enough so I select spicy tuna roll. The plate comes with a salad and a Miso soup. I get a pot of Chinese tea with the meal. If any of ya's ever ate this you know what I am talking about. For those that don't I shall describe a wee bit of it - (use your imagination to fill in the possible holes). I get this small bowl (all of 2 ounces of soup it can hold) contain a few leaves of lettuce with 4 paper thin small slices of cucumber & some salad dressing already applied. Three picks and I ate it. The soup comes next. Same size bowl with a Chinese soup spoon. Tastes like a water down chicken soup. Here comes the Sushi meal. I look down at it and see 2 groups of six small quarter round size but 1 inch high of rice around some pink reddish looking fish. Certainly not like tuna in the can. I lifted the chop sticks and told the waitress to bring me a fork since I haven't used chopsticks in like 10 years. The waitress bring me a new set of chopsticks that have a small rubberband on the end and a rolled up piece of paper between the top of the sticks holding the top end together. Looked like a compass you would draw a circle with. The waitress explained they were baby chopsticks. Fine I sez. As I try them out they are easy to use and don't fall out of my hand. There is a small pile of pink colored fish sliced paper thin. After I lifted each of them I figured I devoured 4 pieces that would maybe equal one slice of cooked roast beef. And there was a small wad of green stuff. I figured it was maybe added color to the plate. Being this was my 1st time eating this shit I didn't want anyone to know it was my first time. Girls, you know men. Well I was doing a crosswordpuzzle in my book I carry around to keep from being bored. I do my puzzle to make my small meager meal last more than 5 minutes. I succeed and finish 3 puzzles and make the meal last near 40 minutes. I am thinking to myself I ate everything but that little wad of pastachio green looking clay. This meal did not seem spicy to me, then I pick up this odd little ball with my baby chopsticks and toss it triumphfully in my open mouth. Happy I cleaned my plate, not a piece of rice remained. The ball is disolving in my mouth when my eyes begin watering - This little ball was the spice - I am going to choke and cough, I hold my face down as I feel my eyes trying to jump outta my face. I look toward the restroom and someone has just gone in. This ball I am thinking is going to make me have a fucken heart attack right here. Shit! I jes might fucken die - how embarrassing. :oops: I'm on fire and I'm gonna die! I think to myself, stop panicing Stead. Get a hold of yourself. I was complelled to swallow the cup of hot tea to cool down but nixed that idea. I got my napkin and wiped my tongue of the wad of green clay that had desolved over the entire inside of my mouth. I could feel the heat by now was dissapating slightly. Now where do I hide my napkin. Fuck it, in the open. I have eaten hot before and only perspired knowing full well it was hot but this came up on me in total surprise. I went back there again today and order the same thing but with spicy salmon roll instead of tuna. I asked the waitress for an additional dollop of that green stuff. Instead of a wad I smeared each piece of my food with this little spice. this time I won or this time I wasn't so stupid!

.Stead
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Julieanne
US Army Veteran

Post by Julieanne »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

WASABIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

Awesome laugh, Ranger Steadfast. Bringing in the New Year with a bang... :wink:
~Julie
XVIII ABN Corps, Desert Storm Jan '91-May'91
319th MI BN May '91-Sept '93

"With the power of conviction, there is no sacrifice."
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

oh shit, that's funny.

the green stuff is called wasabi. it's a horseradish. you got it right the second time. if you get another "spicy xxx" roll, it may already have wasabi inside the roll, depending on the place. the pink slivers were ginger (if you didn't know). you can use a piece of ginger with a roll, and some wasabi, or eat it after the roll the cleanse the palate...

you should have gotten a tiny bowl/dish, that you can fill with soy sauce, to dip the rolls in. some people mix their wasabi and soy together, and then dip the roll in.

corse there are some narrow-minded fuckers like the Pastor, who won't try new shit, claiming, "I don't eat bait!"
Last edited by KW Driver on December 31st, 2005, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Goog
Ranger

Post by Goog »

Stead, I did the same thing about 10 years ago. I thought it was some sort of after dinner breath mint or candy. I hammered it down whole as well. I will never do that again. :oops:
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Well....that started the New Years off with a laugh! Goddamn Brother, the tears are rolling down my cheeks!

BTW....I'm one of them fuckers what don't eat bait.....or anything else Asian (well, there was this little whore in Hong Kong once..'nuther story).
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
289sotherhalf
Supreme Goddess of Drive On/Moderator

Post by 289sotherhalf »

Thanks for sharing the story, Ranger Steadfast.

I remember thinking my tongue was being burned out of my skull the first time I tasted wasabi. Thank goodness the burn didn't last long.
~Ranger Wife~

"Love your enemies...it pisses them off!"

"Be careful whose toes you step on today because they might be connected to the foot that kicks your ass tomorrow."

"Behind every damsel is a fire breathing dragon."
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

I think every sushi eater has a similar wasabi experience. :lol:
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Ardent Lady
Tadpole

Post by Ardent Lady »

Wasabi!!!! what a rush! :) :D

Congratulations, Ranger Steadfast, for entering the world of sushi with a bang! It's great stuff, and probably the healthiest food on the planet. It's a perfect combination of taste, adrenelin and nutrition. I crave the stuff now and then, more often than chocolate, and that's saying sumpthin'.

You have to try the eel, and the sqiuid sometime, as well as the white tuna sashimi... melts in the mouth like butter, awesome stuff. The kinds with cream cheese in them really are wonderful.

I've been blindsided by wasabi too - I was eating sushi with a co-worker and not paying attention to what was on my chopsticks when suddenly my head seemed to light up. He got a kick out of how red I got and the total stop it put on all coherient conversation for a while. :D Good times :)
Reverend Mother of the Church of The Yellow River

The ultimate effect of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer
ma91c1an
Triple Canopy

Post by ma91c1an »

Bro, you do not use wasabi as a paste.

You pour a little soy sauce into a small plate that will be somewhere on the table. Trust me, it is there. Just look for it.

You grab a small amount of wasabi with your chop sticks and place it into the soy sauce in the small plate.

You then gently stir it in until it dissolves.

Then, you grab your sushi or sashimi with your chop sticks and dip it into the soy sauce. Then throw it into your mouth.

If it is not spicy enough, then dissolve more wasabi in your soy sauce. If it is too spicy, dilute it with more soy sauce, and stir.

You will learn how to mix your wasabi and soy to your personal preference in no time.
-------
Classes 12, 13, and 14-81.
Company A, 2d Battalion (Ranger), 1st Platoon, "Bad 'Muthers," 1980-1984;
SFQC 4-84.
Company B, 2d Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), ODA 151, 1984-1986.
recruit
Embryo

Post by recruit »

wasabi is like a prostitue, she burns right after your done; but damned if you cant get enough of her.
Mentee to Ranger Bugsy

~ No retreat, no surrender.

"Losing is a mental process, that starts w/ first consideration..."
jsmurphy
Tadpole

Post by jsmurphy »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I did the same thing when I moved out to CA, Ranger Steadfast.

I'd never had sushi, and I thought the green stuff was guacamole or something. Took the whole damn glob of it and about died.

I'm chugging beer with tears streaming down my face and the owner of the place runs over and says, "No beer, no beer! Eat rice, eat rice!
11B20 leg grunt. OSUT Benning '80. B 2/13 FRG '81-'83. B 1/58 Benning '83-'84.

Fuck the UN

Return to “The Mosh Pit”