The Black Beret

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
Fletcher1212
Embryo

The Black Beret

Post by Fletcher1212 »

Once again I want to apologize for bringing this issue up...but I am here to get some information for a paper I am writing.

I am taking a Technical Writing class and one of our assignments was to pick a topic for a proposal and write an audience analysis in 30 minutes. I had had a bad beret day and I blurted out that I wanted the beret policy reverted. Done. Now I have to do the research and write a hypothetical proposal to the CofS-Army stating my desire to revert to the BDU cap.

I know the Rangers are now wearing the tan beret but I would like to know how the Ranger community is faring with the new policy. Specifically how's the tan beret working out and is there still animosity about the black beret? As an elite group well versed in creating and maintaining morale, looking from the inside out, has the black beret served its purpose? What would have been a better choice, for Gen Shinseki, to bring the Army into the new millennia? Finally, would the Rangers go back to the Black beret if the policy were changed?

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Mary

Thank you all for your warm welcome.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Fletcher,

I'm a black beret Ranger. I wasn't in when the change was made.

It is still an issue with me. I personally don't know, what current Rangers think of the tan beret.

Some one correct me if I'm wrong. Rangers started wearing the black beret in 1975.

The day I graduated RIP and was AWARDED,NOT ISSUED my beret, was one of the biggest days in my life. I earned the right to wear it. Each and every day that I spent in 3rd Batt., I had to earn the right to wear it.

When the change came down, I was very offended. I can't even describe how much.

The same goes for the Rangers of today. THEY EARN THEIR TAN BERET.
Last edited by Looon on February 21st, 2004, 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: The Black Beret

Post by Steadfast »

Fletcher1212 wrote:Once again I want to apologize for bringing this issue up...but I am here to get some information for a paper I am writing.

I am taking a Technical Writing class and one of our assignments was to pick a topic for a proposal and write an audience analysis in 30 minutes. I had had a bad beret day and I blurted out that I wanted the beret policy reverted. Done. Now I have to do the research and write a hypothetical proposal to the CofS-Army stating my desire to revert to the BDU cap.

I know the Rangers are now wearing the tan beret but I would like to know how the Ranger community is faring with the new policy. Specifically how's the tan beret working out and is there still animosity about the black beret? As an elite group well versed in creating and maintaining morale, looking from the inside out, has the black beret served its purpose? What would have been a better choice, for Gen Shinseki, to bring the Army into the new millennia? Finally, would the Rangers go back to the Black beret if the policy were changed?

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Mary

Thank you all for your warm welcome.
When the change was first instituted many Rangers were upset. To the men who worn the black beret felt they earned the right to wear it and did so proudly. It was Distinct, Black, unlike any other. It became a personal symbol of unity amongst all others. A personal symbol of achievement. Many men tried for it (sic black beret) but few completed the courses prescribed and those that did rose above those that quit or just plain failed. A Ranger takes pride in the fact that the word "quit" or "can't do" just aren't in their vocabulary. Today, the tan beret is the same for modern day Rangers but with a different color. I don't think there are many men out there (Rangers I mean) that would deprive or think less of the Rangers today striving to carry on the Tradition of being and achieving that level of Ranger, by demanding they get the beret color changed back to black. I also had hats associated with Rangers back in RVN in1969. I see how the change has affected my brethren. I posted a poll a short time back on another site on with pretty much the same results you are seeking. You can decide for yourself.

[color=red] http://www.airborneranger.c ... 5 [/color]

My thoughts today are I am a Ranger (period). I will wear whatever color is current. The beret is the symbol I have come to realize and it doesn't matter what color as we all wear current beret color together with unity.
A Ranger has learned that if he be the lone survivor he will complete the mission. But Ranger are also the best when it comes to being part of a team. Read the Ranger Creed, it is an intergral part of every Ranger. It is how each Ranger conducts himself, his life, as he lives and breathes today. The one item I haven't really touched is that if there were a big problem and our country needed Rangers that aren't in the service anymore and called Rangers to come back. I think that better than 90% would come back and wear the tan beret with pride. Just my .02

Note to Rangers on this site: If I have made a mistake(s) please inform me and I will correct it. I ain't perfect.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Earthpig
Ranger

Re: The Black Beret

Post by Earthpig »

Fletcher1212 wrote: Specifically how's the tan beret working out and is there still animosity about the black beret?
The posts made by my Brothers above are all good posts and are true.

The black beret topic will always be a touchy one with me, I suppose. I was (and still am) infuriated by the decision to issue it to every Active, Reserve, and NG soldier. I was almost 31 years old when I gave every ounce of energy and guts that I had to earn the right to wear that distinguished icon. To have it taken and handed out to everyone who serves was a complete slap in the face to every Ranger before me.

Just last night at my paramedic class, some bonehead in my class was going on and on about his black beret and jump boots and how hot he looked when he was in. This guy has both ears pierced, his tongue pierced, has a screen saver on his laptop of Satan slaying a woman, wears Marilyn Manson t-shirts every day, and is a self-proclaimed pacifist.

Supposedly, he went through Jump School during his Army career and went on to be an airborne typist/driver in a support unit. He goes on and on and on every class, trying to impress me with his 'Johnny Rambo' bullshit.

I have to tell you that when I had this peace activist, bisexual, liberal toad standing in my face bragging about how strack he looked in his black beret and Corcorans, it took everything I had not to string him up by his tongue ring! Yes, I'm still pissed!
Fletcher1212 wrote: As an elite group well versed in creating and maintaining morale, looking from the inside out, has the black beret served its purpose?
Of course not. The ONLY thing that will bring up the morale and professionalism of our nation's Army is to have true leaders in these non-SpecOps units. I realize that there are many out there. I further realize however, that there are just as many who should not be in leadership positions and are only there because of seniority.

Leadership should be given only to those who walk the talk. A true leader lives by the Ranger Creed (even if he/she is not a Ranger). A genuine leader sets the example for his/her troops to follow and earns their respect, rather than demanding it. A righteous leader will have his/her troops wanting to emulate him/her in everything they do. Troops will fight harder and unquestionably die for a true leader.
Fletcher1212 wrote: What would have been a better choice, for Gen Shinseki, to bring the Army into the new millennia?
I think that the current target of getting support units up-trained for combat situations should have been happening more all along. They shouldn't have waited to do this until the Jessica Lynch episode.

The Army also needs to dump it's PC (politically correct) format and get back to soldiering. Just because you have an Eskimo female or a Cuban male with a speech handicap who are up for promotion, but suck at what they do, they shouldn't be put in a leadership slot simply because we don't have a good ratio of Eskimo NCOs or Cuban Officers who don't speak English. Anyone who has gone through ANY extra training knows where I am coming from. 90% of those instructors out there speak Martian and couldn't fight their way out of a dirty diaper.

Bottom line: we should have more soldiers in our Army. Our E3 Accountants and our E4 Diesel Mechanics should be able to kick some serious ass when called to do so (many of them can, but more should be able to). Enlisting is not just about free college and seeing exotic places...it's about fighting for the security of our Nation.
Fletcher1212 wrote: Finally, would the Rangers go back to the Black beret if the policy were changed?
Unfortunately, I doubt that the current Rangers would go for that. During their careers, the tan beret has been the symbol of the elite. I'm fairly certain that if the decision was reversed now, today's Rangers would experience the same 'slap in the face' that we received back then.

In closing, and upon reviewing what I have written, I feel that my post may come across like I am looking down upon non-Ranger personnel. Honestly, that is NOT my intent. I fully respect anyone who would put their safety and life on the line by serving in our Armed Forces. But, having served with what I consider to be the best and having seen some of the other units out there, I can honestly say that there truly is a difference.

The Ranger Battalions are made up of a special breed of soldier. Each Ranger has volunteered to put himself through Hell. Each Ranger must push himself beyond his limits nearly every day, just to maintain his slot in Battalion. It is never, ever just a "job." It is a special, hard way of life, built around the pride and dedication of being a cut above the rest.

I hope that some of my thoughts have helped you and if I have in any way offended you, I offer you my sincere apologies. Thank you again for your service.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Bell

Post by Bell »

Fletch, you can tell by the tagline under my name how I feel about it. Nuff said.

RLTW
Bell
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

My black beret is my most prized accomplishment. Period. It has a special place in my home, and to me, it is sacred.

It is sacred to me not only because of what I endured to earn it, and what I endured to KEEP it, but of the sacrifices others have made that make my measily accomplishments seem miniscule.

When the word came out, it tested me. It took everything I had to maintain The Creed in my actions, because deep inside myself I wanted to take Gen. Shinseki's prosthetic leg off and beat him to death with it; but Rangers don't loose their military bearing - ever.

I am still extremely bitter at that pathetic little man, and always will be. I render respect to his rank, but have no respect for him as a human being. He belittled the sacrifices of some of our nations finest soldiers in an exercise in futility (headgear does not instill pride in a soldier, sacrifice by soldiers instill pride in themselves, and thier headgear symbolizes the pride in themselves which they have EARNED as well as their sacrifices in the pursuit of excellence in their field), gave the contract to the Communits Chinese and was totally unapologetic about it.

The Rangers today have already instilled the same sense of pride and sacrifice in the Tan Beret as previous generations did the Black Beret. Even though, it is a sore spot for me. See, you could tell a Ranger not only by the color of thier beret, but HOW THEY WORE IT. Now, every time I see a soldier that wears that beret improperly, it is like I get slapped in the face all over again.

The Black Beret is supposed to sit atop a cleanly shaved head and face, accompanied by an extremely physically fit soldier who is wearing heavily starched BDUs, and boots that shine like mirrors. I.E., a soldier who takes ultimate pride in their uniform, and the proper display thereof. NOT BY SOME SLACK JAWED LEG, ON PROFILE AND WEARING WRINKLED BDUs THAT THEY JUST DUG OUT OF THEIR DUFFLE BAG (COMPLETE WITH PIN ON RANK THAT NEEDS TO BE BLACKENED), AND FUCKING RUNNING SHOES, AND JUST WAITING ON HIS ETS DATE SO HE CAN GET HIS FUCKING COLLEGE MONEY.

You're Goddamned right I'm bitter.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Fletcher, how is the paper going?

I wonder if she is coming back? :shock:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Fletcher1212
Embryo

Still Here

Post by Fletcher1212 »

No I haven't left, just monitoring...the paper is going. I have been spending a lot of time doing research, looking for some parallel between the beret and espirit de corp. Not much luck so far, any suggestions?
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Esprit de corps. def. A common spirit of devotion and enthusiasm among members of a group.
I think the beret is an overt symbol which helps to instill esprit de corps. The wearing of something that ties you to a group emotionally and spiritually is one of the ingrdients to instill esprit de corps. Just as jump boots do for the Airborne, Flags and uniforms did for the warriors of the Civil War, and your school sweat shirts do for you. I think esprit de corps is built or cultured on many levels. One of which is the ability to have something that shows the world at a glance, with no words spoken, who you are and that you are part of something special.
Of course what the hell do I know.
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Fletcher1212
Embryo

Post by Fletcher1212 »

If the black beret, stolen in the night, will not raise espirit de corp among us "average soldiers" what will?
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Fletcher1212 wrote:If the black beret, stolen in the night, will not raise espirit de corp among us "average soldiers" what will?
It's not the beret the instills 'espirit de corp' it is the individual. The beret is a symbol. If you consider yourself an average soldier, then you will always aspire to be average. It doesn't matter what hat you wear or what patch you have on, it is what is inside. The desire to be the best at what you do, no matter what your job is.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Fletcher1212
Embryo

Post by Fletcher1212 »

Let me rephrase the question. During Gen Shinseki's reign he must have thought that morale was an issue, therefor he implemented the black beret policy. Taking uniform changes off the table, what would have been a better idea to increase morale? We can't all be Rangers, but what do Rangers do to increase morale? Pool parties? Beer bashes? What do you do with a Ranger that just is not happy?
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

The fact that we serve with the most dedicated and proficient group of men is why we don't have a moral issue. You know your buddy to the laft and the right of you is going to do his job and watch your back. Also you share so many shitty times together that you can't help but become close to someone just like they were your brother. Rangers don't bitch and complain about stupid shit like most soldiers do. Even if a Ranger doesn't want to do it he will, and to the best of his ability. That is the discipline and thats why not everyone can or will be a Ranger. Rangers are hated most by soldiers because we are everything that they wish they could be. Look how many people lied on this sight and said that they were Rangers and got busted.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99

Return to “Personal Gear”