What if I get Shin Splints?

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
MPC
Tadpole

Post by MPC »

From personal experience - don't be a hard ass if ya don't need to be. I got shin splints on the inside of my calves back in Sept. Instead of taking a day or two off I said fuck it and just kept running 5 or 6 days a week right up until late December. At that point I couldn't put any weight on my leg without it feeling like someone was taking a hammer to my shin so I went to see the doc. Found out I had a stress fracture in my left leg and had been running on it for a few months. From what I understand the muscles in your lower leg can get broken down and become so weak that they transfer all the weight onto the bone.

Taking a day or two off when ya first get shin splints is alot better than having to take 8 weeks off because you got a broken tibia.
"And then I heard the Lord say, 'Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?' And then said I, here am I, send me." Isaiah 6:8
Harris
Tadpole

Post by Harris »

thanks alot Soldier Doc

[edited] Soldier works though right? :)
Last edited by Harris on February 3rd, 2004, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slip away.
(Badmuther's Bitch)
being held hostage in sandhill...
Cat

Post by Cat »

I suffered from shin splints while in the Army. It is very important to rest while you have these injuries as best you –which is not always a reality in the Army. I complained about my legs for months and no one believed me. By the time the Doc ordered a Bone Scan my shin splints had progressed into multiple stress fractures in my legs, ankles, and feet. I also had stress fractures in my hip and stress deterioration in my knees. So it is better to take care of shin splints before they become stress fractures which can –in my case- put you out of the Army.
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Doc

Post by SkyShark »

Where were you when I was in????? I went to the medics for shin splints, they didn't tell me shit except, "Here's some Mootrin." "RTD" SUre as shit i was back there a week later and put on a 30 day profile.
It's all good.
Runner
Ranger

Post by Runner »

When our entire cross country team started gettin shin splints (yeah...that was kinda weird how the whole team got them) our coach told us about how if you walk around on your heels with your toes pointed up you can get rid of your shin splints that way. This supposedly works because it strengthens out all of your leg muscles evenly or something like that? What do you think about this method Doc?

Thanks,
Malarkey
A co 3/75 '07-'10
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Malarkey87 wrote:When our entire cross country team started gettin shin splints (yeah...that was kinda weird how the whole team got them) our coach told us about how if you walk around on your heels with your toes pointed up you can get rid of your shin splints that way. This supposedly works because it strengthens out all of your leg muscles evenly or something like that? What do you think about this method Doc?

Thanks,
Malarkey
While you guys were walking around like this, did any one of you turn to see if the guy was laughing his ass off? :roll:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Runner
Ranger

Post by Runner »

Ranger Luna wrote:
Malarkey87 wrote:When our entire cross country team started gettin shin splints (yeah...that was kinda weird how the whole team got them) our coach told us about how if you walk around on your heels with your toes pointed up you can get rid of your shin splints that way. This supposedly works because it strengthens out all of your leg muscles evenly or something like that? What do you think about this method Doc?

Thanks,
Malarkey
While you guys were walking around like this, did any one of you turn to see if the guy was laughing his ass off? :roll:
Oh shit..I'm a dumbass... :lol: :lol:
A co 3/75 '07-'10
Runner
Ranger

Post by Runner »

Hahahahah :lol:
A co 3/75 '07-'10

Return to “Medical Issues”