Cell Phone Discount

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Silverback
Ranger

Cell Phone Discount

Post by Silverback »

This might be worth looking into with your cellular phone company. As federal employees (civilian & active duty) you are entitled to receive a discount on your cell phone. It’s not limited to a certain company so whatever cell phone service you have they will honor the “Federal Telecommunications Act 1996 Discount to Federal Employees.â€
Last edited by Silverback on September 16th, 2005, 6:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

This is true, I work for one of these Companies I recently got a promotion and I am the Director of Corporate Sales for my Market, this was just brought to my attention the other day.

If you are a Federal employee you will get the discounts. However each state has different rules regarding it. You may get a discount but you have to go through a certain department. I strongly suggest you call these numbers get the discount. Great Post Ranger Silverback.

Check this out as well.

http://www.baseops.net/marketplace/
It's all good.
rangercamaro
Ranger

Post by rangercamaro »

Just got off the phone with Sprint. They said it depends on the department you work for as to how much of a discount. I got 15%. Thanks SilverBack!!!
Bco 1/75 2nd plt Wpn Sqd 89-93
HHC 1/75 Bn Armorer 93-94 (after cookoff)
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Military Cell Phone Discounts

Cellular phone companies are offering 15-20% discount. Current military discounts apply to most carriers. You may be able to leverage other carriers to match these discounts. You may need to provide proof of Federal employment - such as your supervisor's name, phone number and your unit's address. We have contacted these companies and confirmed their discounts!

Sprint offers a 15% military discount. Call 1-888-788-4727. No additional contract required.

Cingular offers a 19% military discount. Call 1-800-319-6393. Update: for Cingular's discounts to take effect, you will need to sign up for a 2-year service agreement. With a .mil email address, you can sign up for the discount at the Cingular website.

T-Mobile military discount is 22%. Call 1-866-646-4688. You may have to send an email requesting the migration form to dien.luu@t-mobile.com. No additional contract required.

Nextel offers an 18% military discount. Call 1-800-639-6111. No additional contract required.

Verizon customer service number is (800-865-1825) and the USAF discount is 23%. If you are with any sister service the discount is 17%. No additional contract required.

Note: many emails with this information have circulated at many major military installations citing a "Federal Communications Act of 1996, Federal Employees Past and Present" -- this particular act does NOT provide for these cell phone discounts. In other words, this Federal Act has absolutely nothing to do with the current cell phone discounts, the discounts are 100% voluntary on the part of these cell phone carrier.

Deploying soon? Consider buying an International Cell Phone with coverage in over 170 countries!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Proud Ranger Wife
Sister

Post by Proud Ranger Wife »

I just got off the phone with Alltel and they said they do not offer the discount. The only way to get it is if you have a business phone and then they offer it through their HR dept. I told him all of these other companies were offering the discount to active duty - he said they are aware of that but they don't. Oh well!

Return to “The Mosh Pit”