General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Silverback
Ranger

Flags at half mast

Post by Silverback »

SUBJ: HALF-STAFFING OF THE NATIONAL FLAG

ADDRESSEES PASS TO ALL SUBORDINATE COMMANDS

1. AS A MARK OF RESPECT FOR THE VICTIMS OF HURRICANE KATRINA, THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES HAS DIRECTED THAT THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES WILL BE FLOWN AT HALF-STAFF UNTIL SUNSET, TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 20, 2005.

2. THE FLAG WILL BE FLOWN AT HALF-STAFF ON ALL DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE BUILDINGS, GROUNDS AND NAVAL VESSELS THROUGHOUT THE UNITED STATES AND ABROAD.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Most people will probably mistake it for Judge Reinquist.
JarHedSolja
Tadpole

Post by JarHedSolja »

Spartan wrote:Most people will probably mistake it for Judge Reinquist.
Roger that Ranger Spartan. I know we discussed that in the office today and that's exactly what was said.
1999-2001 USMC
2003-2006 1-148th INF (M)
2006-2009 585th MP Co
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Spartan wrote:Most people will probably mistake it for Judge Reinquist.
Initially an order was given for the Chief Justice now it's just carrying on
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Bell

Post by Bell »

DoorGunner wrote:Ya know, maybe I'm just being insensitive, callous and just plain old man asshole. I'm not dropping my flag to half mast for the victims of Katrina.
Thank you.

RLTW
Bell
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

DoorGunner wrote:Ya know, maybe I'm just being insensitive, callous and just plain old man asshole. I'm not dropping my flag to half mast for the victims of Katrina.
You sir have the balls that I apparently do not. I wanted to say that same thing I just wasn't sure of the response I was going to get.

I personnally feel that the flag at Half Mast is something of true honor and should only be flown that way for men and women that have done something heroic or have served our great country and the Flag.

I hate to be a hard ass on this as well but the the people in that area of the country were asked to evacuate but decided not to BEFORE the hurricane hit. They stayed, they died (God Rest Thier Souls) they didn't do anything to deserve the flag at half mast. The Chief Justice is getting robbed on this. I will fly my flag at half mast for him.

Thank you for posting that. I must get with my wife and ask to borrow my balls next time something like this comes up.
It's all good.
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

SkyShark wrote:
You sir have the balls that I apparently do not.

Thank you for posting that. I must get with my wife and ask to borrow my balls next time something like this comes up.

:shock: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bell

Post by Bell »

skull2005 wrote:Rangers, I think that the flag should be flown half-mast for the victims because some of the victims are probably retired veterans and we should honor their deaths by flying the flag half-mast.
Skull...they had their chance to get out. I can't feel sorry for idiots. I have no sympathy for the "victims??" of New Orleans. Mississippi got hammered. But it isn't newsworthy?

My flag will fly at half mast for the damn judge. It goes back to the top as soon as that's over.

RLTW
Bell
VAK
USAF Veteran

Post by VAK »

Actually they didn't. The storm was expected to hit smack on in New Orleans and only at the last minute turned and hit Biloxi. Which is indeed an Air Force community. Actually the whole region is military central. Further, after flying over-it wasn't just the hurricane that got these people, it was a devastating wave that came with this storm coupled with the winds. At places going miles inland.
"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
(Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Mentor to those who would seek to be CAS God's
Julieanne
US Army Veteran

Post by Julieanne »

I'd like to respectfully offer that flying it at half mast is justifiable if you look at this from the standpoint of what the storm did to a region of OUR COUNTRY.

Regardless of our individual feelings about the population of NO, OUR COUNTRY has been hit pretty hard on all different levels. And, as VAk stated, we simply cannot forget the population of Biloxi, and other outlying towns who didn't think they were in danger.
~Julie
XVIII ABN Corps, Desert Storm Jan '91-May'91
319th MI BN May '91-Sept '93

"With the power of conviction, there is no sacrifice."
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

Julieanne wrote:I'd like to respectfully offer that flying it at half mast is justifiable if you look at this from the standpoint of what the storm did to a region of OUR COUNTRY.

Regardless of our individual feelings about the population of NO, OUR COUNTRY has been hit pretty hard on all different levels. And, as VAk stated, we simply cannot forget the population of Biloxi, and other outlying towns who didn't think they were in danger.
I am not arguing the fact that what happened was devestating to OUR COUNTRY. However, you can't lower the flag everytime something like that happens in our country. I mean Jesus, The flag is going to be at half mast already this weekend for the Jusdge AND the Hurrican AND 9/11. My point is where does it stop? The crime rate is a huge problem in our country. AIDS is a huge problem in OUR COUNTRY. We can't fly the flag at half mast every time there is an ACT OF GOD that is so devastating. Maybe we should fly the flags at half mast for all thse floods in So Cal a couple years back or the Devestating wildfires there.

It's like 9/11 I am in full support of flying the flags at half mast for that because it was an act of war against our country. On the other hand I don't see anyone flying flags at half mast for the Oklahoma Bombing. That was an act of war from a DOMESTIC enemy, which every Soldier and Veteran on this board swore to fight.
I do respect the oppinions of those that dissagree with me and I do have sympathy for those in the areas that were hit that weren't suppossed to be, However, a large number of kolks were asked to evacuate and didn't heel some are still staying. Those folks I have no sympathy for.

This is a good topic. Thanx to whoever started it. I look forward to more discussion on this.
It's all good.
Julieanne
US Army Veteran

Post by Julieanne »

SkyShark wrote:
Julieanne wrote:I'd like to respectfully offer that flying it at half mast is justifiable if you look at this from the standpoint of what the storm did to a region of OUR COUNTRY.

I am not arguing the fact that what happened was devestating to OUR COUNTRY. However, you can't lower the flag everytime something like that happens in our country. I mean Jesus, The flag is going to be at half mast already this weekend for the Jusdge AND the Hurrican AND 9/11. My point is where does it stop? The crime rate is a huge problem in our country. AIDS is a huge problem in OUR COUNTRY. We can't fly the flag at half mast every time there is an ACT OF GOD that is so devastating. Maybe we should fly the flags at half mast for all thse floods in So Cal a couple years back or the Devestating wildfires there.

It's like 9/11 I am in full support of flying the flags at half mast for that because it was an act of war against our country. On the other hand I don't see anyone flying flags at half mast for the Oklahoma Bombing. That was an act of war from a DOMESTIC enemy, which every Soldier and Veteran on this board swore to fight.
I do respect the oppinions of those that dissagree with me and I do have sympathy for those in the areas that were hit that weren't suppossed to be, However, a large number of kolks were asked to evacuate and didn't heel some are still staying. Those folks I have no sympathy for.

This is a good topic. Thanx to whoever started it. I look forward to more discussion on this.
Well, on a personal level, I don't really understand why we are flying it because of the judges death- he lived a fulfilling life, lived to a ripe old age, and assumably enjoyed the life he lead.

I agree with you in that I think it should have been flown when the OK City bombing happened. And I agree that there needs to be some guidelines as to when and why it is lowered. I am sure there is some sort of SOP somewhere. In fact I have a kids book that talks all about the flag, that probably addresses this very subject. However, it's ina box somewhere...

We are not hit with natural disasters of this magnitude everyday, and considering the numbers that have been directly affected, I think that, in this case it's a good time to lower the flag.
~Julie
XVIII ABN Corps, Desert Storm Jan '91-May'91
319th MI BN May '91-Sept '93

"With the power of conviction, there is no sacrifice."
Julieanne
US Army Veteran

Post by Julieanne »

For Reference:

The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff. By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff. The flag shall be flown at half-staff 30 days from the death of the President or a former President; 10 days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress. The flag shall be flown at half-staff on Peace Officers Memorial Day, unless that day is also Armed Forces Day. As used in this subsection -

the term "half-staff" means the position of the flag when it is one-half the distance between the top and bottom of the staff;

the term "executive or military department" means any agency listed under sections 101 and 102 of title 5, United States Code; and

the term "Member of Congress" means a Senator, a Representative, a Delegate, or the Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”