Serious request for assistance

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Darksaga
Soldier

Serious request for assistance

Post by Darksaga »

Rangers and veterans I am asking for your assistance. Here is the situation. My dad was in the 20th Engineer Brigade during Vietnam. I think he was in country in 1967/68. He just went to a unit reunion. He has been reluctant to speak about most things he saw or participated in while in country. He does relate some stories but they are superficial like people pulling duty stirring the massive shit barrels to burn them down or what the beer was like. Once he alluded to that he saw combat. I have been trying to find out some of the unit history on my own but have been having some difficulty understanding the information since it is in Army-ese and not jarhead. Also the information that I have found did not go into what if any combat action the unit may have seen.

Professionaly, I strongly suspect he has some form of PTSD. The symptoms have eased over the years but they begin to gain in severity whenever these reunions happen. Ethicly, I can't assist him because of the secondary relationship clause. So professionaly I have concerns and my hands are bound by the law. However, what I can do is get him talking and see what his thought process is and then make a referral for treatment if needed. I need some unit information first as he has been dodging questions or changing the topic for over thirty years.

Unfortunately, he won't go to the VA or some other treatment provider. Once my brothers and I actually were able to get him to fill out paperwork after he had a very bad episode but he came up with a number of bullshit reasons why he shouldn't bother the VA. As you can tell I and my family are worried about him. I know a person has to want to help themselves first but he's my father.

I would greatly appreciate any assitance. My sincere thanks.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"I might not be Airborne however, it's whats on my right sleave!"
*1992-1996 USMC CPL
* 12/2005- present USAR Medic PL/ Human Terrain Teams
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

There are people here who are experts in this arena, bro.

I'm sure they jump right in here and help you shortly.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... ng-bde.htm

The unit has some nice History. Please thank your father for his service and know that he is in my prayers.

You might want to contact the VA yourself and talk o a counselour and tell them the situation. I have heard of couselours at theVA making the initial contact to Veterans in need of Counseling. Another option may be see if he will get involved with the VFW or the American Legion. Both are great organizations. I am the Past Commander for teh local VFW here and I have seen numerours cases where War Vets from WWII to Viet Nam can talk to others who expierienced the same dea. They could talk to thier families because they couldn't relate. However when they tlkaed to others that were and are in the same boat they talk more easily. Good Luck
It's all good.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

If your old man is adamant about receiving any treatment or even begining a treatment which may in fact cause him more harm or even great distress.

One item, you can give him your personal comfort. That seems to have worked for him for years.

So until he collapses and has to be taken to a local V.A. hospital you just have to wait.

RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
medicchick
DSOTYR - Ranger Wife

Post by medicchick »

The PTSD group at the VA here has weekly meetings at the center, but they also meet about once a week at a local restaurant. Try calling the center to see if they do this. Our counselor is also a Vietnam vet.
Someone needs to teach the regular Army how to make a packing list.

Supporting my DAV, one day at a time.
Darksaga
Soldier

Post by Darksaga »

Ladies and gentleman,

I thank you for your assistance and wisdom. I will explore the avenues of approach that you have suggested.

Again my sincere thanks.

Cliff
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

*1992-1996 USMC CPL
Black 6
Ranger

Post by Black 6 »

good luck
2/75 Blacksheep 92-93, 1/9 93-94
1759 society member

"You will know me by the scars I bear.
You will know me by the hate I swear."-OTEP

01010011 01110000 01100001 01110010 01110100 01100001 01101110 00101111 01001000 01100101 01110010 01101111 00101110
Darksaga
Soldier

Post by Darksaga »

I am posting to say thanks again for all the PM's of advice and support. Believe it or not, I am at a loss for words not because I am suprised at the responce but because of the contents of the advice, wisdom, compassion and concern that has been expressed.

Thank you.

*1992-1996 USMC CPL
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Have you considered getting him a hooker? :D
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Darksaga
Soldier

Post by Darksaga »

Kilted Heathen wrote:Have you considered getting him a hooker? :D
Ranger KH,

I am sure my mother would appreciate that. :roll: It would be one of those..."I brought you into this world, I can take you out of it"... scenarios.

:lol:

*1992-1996 USMC CPL
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

There's your answer!
Tart your mother up in a wig and slip her 50 bucks!
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

Daisey

Re: Serious request for assistance

Post by Daisey »

Darksaga wrote:Rangers and veterans I am asking for your assistance. Here is the situation. My dad was in the 20th Engineer Brigade during Vietnam. I think he was in country in 1967/68. He just went to a unit reunion. He has been reluctant to speak about most things he saw or participated in while in country. He does relate some stories but they are superficial like people pulling duty stirring the massive shit barrels to burn them down or what the beer was like. Once he alluded to that he saw combat. I have been trying to find out some of the unit history on my own but have been having some difficulty understanding the information since it is in Army-ese and not jarhead. Also the information that I have found did not go into what if any combat action the unit may have seen.

Professionaly, I strongly suspect he has some form of PTSD. The symptoms have eased over the years but they begin to gain in severity whenever these reunions happen. Ethicly, I can't assist him because of the secondary relationship clause. So professionaly I have concerns and my hands are bound by the law. However, what I can do is get him talking and see what his thought process is and then make a referral for treatment if needed. I need some unit information first as he has been dodging questions or changing the topic for over thirty years.

Unfortunately, he won't go to the VA or some other treatment provider. Once my brothers and I actually were able to get him to fill out paperwork after he had a very bad episode but he came up with a number of bullshit reasons why he shouldn't bother the VA. As you can tell I and my family are worried about him. I know a person has to want to help themselves first but he's my father.

I would greatly appreciate any assitance. My sincere thanks.
I hope things get better for your dad. He must be so proud to have such a caring son such as yourself. Hang in there.
B 2/75
Ranger

Post by B 2/75 »

Kilted Heathen wrote:There's your answer!
Tart your mother up in a wig and slip her 50 bucks!
Dude, you got it wrong... His FATHER slips her the 50... :roll:
- ALL THE WAY -
1st Plt B 2/75 - Sniper
Ranger classes 4-80 & 9-80
3/60 INF 9th ID
2/278 ACR TN NG
3/319 INF 80TH ID
4/4 FA
11th USAFAD (8" Special Wpns)
D/96 CA (A)
JIATF-East (Counter Drug)
478 CA (FID/UW) (IFOR/SFOR)
5 SFG (A) (OIF 1)
USSOCOM - Retired AUG 09
Biometrics Mgmt Office (AFG) (SAIC)
PM DoD Biometrics - Operations (SAIC)
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

If she manages the disguise of course he will!

Bloody officers, no knack at all for the obvious. :roll:
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

Return to “The Mosh Pit”