Rabbits and chicken in Ranger school?!

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
undergoodcanopy
Ranger

Rabbits and chicken in Ranger school?!

Post by undergoodcanopy »

When I think back on a certain part of Ranger School it seems surreal to me.
"The part" I am referring to is:
While I was in Ranger school, not sure of which phase?
But I imagine it was at Benning, because we were only 2 or 3 weeks in.
we were in the woodline prepping for the next mission, when the RI's appeared with a bunch of Rabbits and chickens; and said "If you can kill'em and skin'em, (after a class) (even though us good ole boys knew how already), you can eat em'!"
That is when the melee ensued.
Rabbits with broken necks dropped and still trying to hop around, headless chickens running around bouncing off of trees!
I was curious?
If anyone else had the same experience while going through school?
I doubt they still do this during Ranger School?
Some how I dont think it would be seen as poltically correct?
And Im sure the animal activist would have there panties in a bunch!
82nd Abn Div 2/325th A.I.R.: 89-94
JRTC TF2 (observer/controller)_94-97
RS 8-92 (LAST HARD CLASS)
Silverback
Ranger

Re: Rabbits and chicken in Ranger school?!

Post by Silverback »

undergoodcanopy wrote:When I think back on a certain part of Ranger School it seems surreal to me.
we were in the woodline prepping for the next mission, when the RI's appeared with a bunch of Rabbits and chickens; and said "If you can kill'em and skin'em, (after a class) (even though us good ole boys knew how already), you can eat em'!"
Rabbits with broken necks dropped and still trying to hop around, headless chickens running around bouncing off of trees!
I was curious?
My last Kill class was in the early 90's...
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Splat
Ranger

Post by Splat »

I graduated 1-90 and we did the chicken thing. We got a bonus 'road kill' squirrel also. Think they hit it on the way to picking up the chickens. :D
-Splat
HHC 3/22 (88 - 92)
C co 3/75 (93 - 94)
Ranger Class 1-90
Hoover
Ranger

Re: Rabbits and chicken in Ranger school?!

Post by Hoover »

undergoodcanopy wrote:When I think back on a certain part of Ranger School it seems surreal to me.
I was curious?

We did that in Florida Phase "Survival Day"......it was great and the chow was the best...cooked em' in a ammo can (be sure to remove the rubber seal or chicen claymore for you)....we also killed a goat in Pre Ranger and it tasted terrible but we ate it anyway.
I was so hungry by Florida I was pulling up baby palm trees and eating the tender "heart" which kinda tastes like celery. Good Times! :lol:
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
"Cry Havoc Let Slip The Dogs of War"
1st SPWAR Tng Bn (Abn) USAJFKSWCS 87'
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

What the fuck do you mean you don't remember what phase it was?
It was Benning phase, you had your kill-class at the LRS farm.
Every buddy team got either a rabbit or a chicken and you were given potatoes, carrots and turnips in a #10 can.
You had build and maintain a fire, a shelter and a field expedient trap.

You don't fucking... remember?
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
B 2/75
Ranger

Post by B 2/75 »

Heathen, some of us suffer mildly from halfheimers...

9-80 had its survival day in Florida on about day six or seven. SFC SWACKHAMMER was the principle instructor. Amazingly, there was a pack of CUB SCOUTS in the bleachers with us for the class. Swackhammer came out holding a little bunny, stroking the lil feller. Then he gave it to the smallest lil shit in the group to hold. Continued with his class, all about deadfalls, cookin in ammo cans, etc. Then he takes out a chicken and just pulls the head off and drained the carcass into an ammo can. Then he took the bunny from this poor kid who'd been petting him for two hours, stepped back, held it firmly around the shoulders with one hand and just pulled the head off with the other. It gave one little squeek as his head came away. Body into the can to bleed, along with the chicken. I thought the kid was gonna puke or shit or cry or something, but he "seemed" to take it well. Probably about 7 or 8 y/o.

Anyway, we cooked our grub in the cans over the fires, and LT Terry Driskell from 1/75 and I got an extra rabbit because one of the guys in the other two-man Ranger buddy team cooking in our pot won 1st place in the "you've gotta make a deadfall trap before you can cook contest".

The next morning there were oddly alot of scouts running around with GI flashlights, drive-on-rags, and belts of 60 ammo like Rambo (who didn't yet exist) and a bunch of Rangers with chocolate smears on their mugs, and candy on their breath.

Who says that Rangers would cheat and eat pogey given the chance? No Way!
- ALL THE WAY -
1st Plt B 2/75 - Sniper
Ranger classes 4-80 & 9-80
3/60 INF 9th ID
2/278 ACR TN NG
3/319 INF 80TH ID
4/4 FA
11th USAFAD (8" Special Wpns)
D/96 CA (A)
JIATF-East (Counter Drug)
478 CA (FID/UW) (IFOR/SFOR)
5 SFG (A) (OIF 1)
USSOCOM - Retired AUG 09
Biometrics Mgmt Office (AFG) (SAIC)
PM DoD Biometrics - Operations (SAIC)
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

I gave a kill class to the goddam DEA (Operation Snowcap Basic Course) and did the same thing....I let these two faggotty twin brothers hold the demonstration bunny all through the block of instruction, they fell in love with that poor little bastard.
You should have seen the look on their faces when I snatched from them to kill it.
They were still howling their protest when I did the chicken in and threw its' guts all over the students.

I hated those over-educated pussies.
They felt I needed "human sensitivity" training, can you fucking believe that?
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

Kilted Heathen wrote:I gave a kill class to the goddam DEA (Operation Snowcap Basic Course) and did the same thing....I let these two faggotty twin brothers hold the demonstration bunny all through the block of instruction, they fell in love with that poor little bastard.
You should have seen the look on their faces when I snatched from them to kill it.
They were still howling their protest when I did the chicken in and threw its' guts all over the students.

I hated those over-educated pussies.
They felt I needed "human sensitivity" training, can you fucking believe that?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
Gordo173
Ranger

Post by Gordo173 »

Oh man another SWACKHAMMER story! :shock:

I still have night sweats about that guy.

I remember Survival day as being in Florida phase as well.

Then again I cant remember my name on a good day so all of this is suspect. But I will NEVER forget the SWACK!
Wpns/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
1/1/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
C,HHC,D/3-6(INF)(Mech)
HHC/2-504 PIR
A/1-504 PIR
HHC/1-82(ABN)
Oopps almost forgot Class 4-84

"Always with the negative waves Moriarity!"
Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

edited
Last edited by Hoover on July 25th, 2005, 7:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

edited / multiple post
Last edited by Hoover on July 25th, 2005, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

edited / multiple post :oops:
Last edited by Hoover on July 25th, 2005, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

gordo173 wrote:Oh man another SWACKHAMMER story! :shock:

I still have night sweats about that guy.

I remember Survival day as being in Florida phase as well.

Then again I cant remember my name on a good day so all of this is suspect. But I will NEVER forget the SWACK!

Who could forget him? :shock:
He was there when I went thru the course but he was not attached to my Class.
He later pcs'd to 2nd Batt.....over to Bravo Company I think.....interestingly enough, he didn't look quite so intimidating in the Battalion A.O.
In Ranger School,just hearing his name was enough to get one's attention. :lol:
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
Speedracer

Post by Speedracer »

Swackhamer and Ponder were my Hand to hand trainers for my RS class, I still have the achs from that shit.
we did the surv kill day on day 6 of FL, then the next day we had the E&E phase, We ran all over the camp that night. My worst nightmare was getting NOGO RONDO as a grader.
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

Speedracer wrote:Swackhamer and Ponder were my Hand to hand trainers for my RS class, I still have the achs from that shit.
Like I've said before, I've still got the mans (Swackhammers) handprint permenantly embedded into my chest. Between him, Ponder and Pullen, on the last day of H2H, they pitted me at one end of the pit and Perkins (fmr center for the Westpoint football team and the biggest stud in the class) at the other. Perkins and I were the last 2 studs left after a battle royal in the Bearpit.

So here's Ponder on one side telling Perkins to steamroll my ass into the ground and both Swackhammer and Pullen are telling me to throw the son of a bitch. Major plus if I do, major minus and a trip to the worm pit if I don't. Ponder gives Perkins the same speal.

My guess is all of them had side bets going on who would come out of this alive.

Perkins comes at me with a full head of steam.....I'm in the ready position thinking how much this is going to hurt.......and without thinking anymore about it, I grabbed Perkins' uniform at chest level with both hands and start to bring my right leg up and roll backward at the same time, hanging onto him with both hands deathgripped on his fatigues.

We rolled, at least 2 times and all the while I'm now praying hard "please dear God, if I come out on top, I'll give up pussy for a year" (was lying my ass off, but at this point, it was all I could come up with that seemed valid) lo and behold, I wound up on top and gave the finishing blow.

Both of us got a Major plus. Besides, I'd had enough of the fucking worm pit and the Morgan Team to last a lifetime.
Speedracer wrote:we did the surv kill day on day 6 of FL, then the next day we had the E&E phase, We ran all over the camp that night. My worst nightmare was getting NOGO RONDO as a grader.
SERE training was when we did ours as well just prior to the E&E. (can't believe I still remember this shit :shock: ) Had done it in Recondo school previously and learned how not to create a "chicken claymore" by removing the gasket in the top of the ammo can prior to closing the lid.

We had chickens, rabbits and a goat. And we had to catch them all but the goat when they (RI's) turned them loose for a laugh.

I couldn't help but laugh when a couple of cans blew up after some groups still failed to remove it prior to cooking. We shared our survival stew with those who screwed the pooch rather than see them go hungry.

Wilson ("Hey Bud") was the PI who shot the goat and blew it away. Some of the gamiest and foulest smelling animal I ever ate.

And never will again. :wink:

Even though the memories are bittersweet, they're all still good ones.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”